Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

The great bargains thread, goalie edition

I got the bright idea to have this just be a thread about stuff on sale in stores and on the web. I hope I am not breaking rules here.

Just picked up a 1000 Vintage blocker for $180 shipped in camel/black. It will match my pads. I know now that that particular material needs Sno Seal.

If I were in the market for other stuff, this would be the time to get it!!!!

Mods: if something like this already exists, please forgive my ignorance and not searching. Do what changes need to be done to comply with rules.

Lots on sale right now. Subzero 2 stuff is now heavily discounted, and gnetik 2 is coming down now too.

I'm not a fan of Vaughn though.

Yup, I saw that sale too. I know this time of year is when we start to see the stuff go on sale, then eventually clearance (around May/June).

Of course there is all this clearance gear- most of us are skint right now from Christmas, Chanukkah, and/or Kwanzaa (I celebrate all three!) and new gear is on it's way.

But the bank card is on FIRE right now- I got a Warrior Swagger Wood for $66 shipped this morning, as they are 25% off with a code on the website. This is one of the few places where the code WORKS on the site, it seems. Can't get Step Black runners with the 25% off, it seems.

And the race to the bottom with the lowest price begins!

Just received notice that the Warrior stuff has been reduced at Monkey. Of course the discount codes NEVER seem to work with recently reduced items. If you wear an abnormal size with no preference on colours, you can probably hold out a few more months and get a better deal.

Of course I am saving for Factory Mad pads, so there is NEVER a sale on bespoke stuff; but if I weren't flush with spare sets in good to excellent condition, I would probably strike now as the colours I prefer will go first.

Goalies Plus is having a whale of a sale right now. I just picked up the Warrior robotic* CA for about $160. 

*not the real name; Ritual Pro with plastic elbow floaters

9 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

I wasn't a fan. 

It is a weird looking unit, for certain! The hard foam (like shower sandals) elbow floaters and plastic arms make it look like Robo Cop. But the grey colouring makes sense, as I HATE how dirty my white Vaughn looks. 

I wouldn't have paid the original price of $560, but at $160- it was a downright bargain. I paid less for this than I did for  my Vaughn senior unit (and it was on sale).  I am a downright CHEAPSKATE when it comes to major name brand equipment. I will pay GOOD money for something that is EXACTLY the way I like it; but if there are concessions to be made, I buy CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!!!

Add to that- I was seriously considering a Brown or a Passau. But something told me to go to Goalies Plus last week and check them out. Now I can save and get my Factory Mad pads that much sooner!

I took a couple of HARD shots yesterday and all I felt was a love tap. It also fit me with minimal adjustment. Time will tell with ANY unit. If worse comes to worse with the plastic arms, I try to find detachable arms from something else. The fact that the arms were mobile brand new with minimal stiffness was nice. I would play a game in this straight from the box.

I know that I will sew the belly flap back to the side bits, as it doesn't want to tuck nicely. But I caught a LOT more shots between the elbow and the body with those super-square arms and elbow floaters. This unit is one where I didn't start adding to it IMMEDIATELY after the first time I played in it. 

In the end, you like what you like. I, for one, like it- especially for under $200.

Monkey has the 4500 goaler skate by Graf for $75. Now- that boot is low end; but if you want the Graf cowling, this essentially makes the cowling half price with the boot for free. It is the same cowling as the high end skate, btw. Cowlings are incredibly easy to remove, and installing them yourself is quite easy if you use T nuts. From what I understand, Graf boots are quite comfortable (especially in the low end except that they break down easily). But at $75 a pair, these would be a good spare pair.  

Vaughn GX-1 skates for $155 (with $15 Rebound Rewards) from Monkey. Should get them tomorrow; will install Bauer One60 cowlings, Overdrive Blades and Step Steel this weekend after I confirm whether or not they fit.

I should be seeing my Tackla GP 6000 goalie breezers today that I got for 99.98 with all applicable discounts. I doubt these are the domestic breezers, but still not a bad price for a good pair. Of course if I have to have them altered, then the bargain will be less. I have a funny feeling that they will need to be altered, as I have abnormally short thighs and a larger than normal waist. If I can ever lose that weight, I will have a nice pair of blocking breezers when finished.

I also got a Montreal 9000 foam core stick for around $60. Yes, they have 28" paddles, but that's why saws, Dremels, and palm sanders were invented! I have a combo Lunqvist and Hasek paddle shape.

The Tackla GP 6600 breezers I bought DEFINITELY needed alterations. I went ahead and did them myself, as I am not terrible at this stuff. I wanted to do the Jeff Glass Mod, and I may go to a cobbler to get it done.

The GP6600 have these joke knee protection bits, velcro'd in below the thigh protection. That was silly; however, I could use this to help hold my knee guards. The stock "knee guards" feel a bit crap. I am shopping knee guards at the moment for my second pair of breezers. Maybe I will consider the PAW knee guards. I am uncertain at the moment.

The Tackla fit looser than I had expected. I could have gone down a size and I MAY have been able to avoid alterations (or not; My thighs are SUPER short). I took 2" off of the inseam. Because of the billowy fit (tight at the waist, flowy at the legs), these breezers FILL the net. 

I wanted to try the Tackla before they go away. These are not the Tackla that the Soviet Union used back in the day, but the fit should be similar-ish. I bought these in royal so I could play in vintage Blues, Maple Leafs, and Habs

unis.

Who knows? I may like these better than my LT80 breezers. 

bunnyman's one man breezer discussion (in a "deals" thread) reminded me of the place I have made the best discoveries - the Goodwill auction website.

Goalie equipment shows up regularly, though decent gear doesn't come up often. When it does though...in the past six months I've snagged 2 new pairs of my "unicorn" goal pants (the Itech 9.8s) and a Warwick mask for under $100. Not a bad place to check now and again (not sure if they ship to Canada).

Monkey has Reebok XLT stuff on sale.  I got a set of X28 pads (regularly $859.99)  for $399.98. X28 Blocker (Regularly $229.99) for $104.98 and a XLT Premier Glove 590 break/one piece cuff (Regularly $519.99) for $234.98.  If you are looking for a set of Reebok gear it is cheaper for you to select each piece than t buy a package.  I priced the X28 set out by putting each item into the shopping cart and I saved over $200 over the X28 package discount price.  This set was actually cheaper than the package price as well.  The color and size selection is pretty significant.

8 hours ago, AronB said:

Monkey has Reebok XLT stuff on sale.  I got a set of X28 pads (regularly $859.99)  for $399.98. X28 Blocker (Regularly $229.99) for $104.98 and a XLT Premier Glove 590 break/one piece cuff (Regularly $519.99) for $234.98.  If you are looking for a set of Reebok gear it is cheaper for you to select each piece than t buy a package.  I priced the X28 set out by putting each item into the shopping cart and I saved over $200 over the X28 package discount price.  This set was actually cheaper than the package price as well.  The color and size selection is pretty significant.

Great prices on mid-level pads and blocker; killer price on a pro glove! You may want to investigate new composite internals for the glove (as the plastic has a history of cracking), but at that price- you can afford the new internals (no, composite internals are not that expensive). Sewzall (Jason Terio) installs them, but Kustom Composites makes that piece if you dare to install it yourself. You can find those guys on Facebook, though Jason still has an indefinite gear freeze. The other alternative is to have the glove modded by Factory Mad and ask for a new thumb mould. When Factory mods a glove, it gets a modded T, a skate lace pocket and the glove closes like butter, as he disassembles the glove and reworks the internals. Even at a full mod, you're money ahead on that glove, and it is an awesome glove once you correct the plastic problem.