Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

standupduble

Suggestions for Low Profile Shoulder Pads for Mens League (w/ torso protection)

I'm looking into getting a lower profile pair of shoulder pads for mens league. I am currently wearing Bauer Supreme 170s. I like the fit but the shoulder caps feel bulky. I don't want to go as far as Sherwood 5030s. I would like something with a good deal of protection just without the bulky shoulder caps. The Easton Makos look interesting but I don't know what I think of the vest style closer. It looks like Warrior is pretty low profile as are the Bauer Vapors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CCM U for low profile & Light. If you want a little bit more protection and willing to give up a touch of the low profile, Easton Mako isn't a bad choice.

I'm looking into getting a lower profile pair of shoulder pads for mens league. I am currently wearing Bauer Supreme 170s. I like the fit but the shoulder caps feel bulky. I don't want to go as far as Sherwood 5030s. I would like something with a good deal of protection just without the bulky shoulder caps. The Easton Makos look interesting but I don't know what I think of the vest style closer. It looks like Warrior is pretty low profile as are the Bauer Vapors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am in the same boat, there is still a chance I take a way-ward puck and I want all the modern advances in chest and spine protection. I just don't need gigantic shoulder pads. I am not going to take a check and don't need gigantic football shoulder pads.

Like if I could find one with the 5030s shoulder pads and a modern chest/spine protector, I'd be golden.

One thing you may consider is going to your LHS and finding a cheap/clearance pair of shoulders with lower profile shoulder caps, but still with the level of protection you want, and just have the caps transplanted to your Supreme 170s. (Or get the 5030s you like) Best of both worlds.

I found the Reebok caps tended to ride up some. I much prefer the CCM RBZ line that I bought to replace the Reebok 6K pads.

Yeah, I have the Reebok pads and they are the worst. Their caps are huge and they tend to ride uncomfortably.

+1 for the CCM U/RBZ series. I have some u12s from a few years ago and I never even notice I am wearing them. Decent protection for no check, and I dont have that linebacker feel

\

STX Surgeon Line Shoulder Pads.

in my opinion, they are the lightest, least bulky, most low profile & protective shoulders on the market today.

you need some protection in mens league, it's hockey - there is contact and this little heavy thing called a puck flying through the air that could hit your sternum of shoulder.

it's all about personal preference, comfort and fit in protective gear. I change my protective gear all the time, always looking for the lightest, most protective and better fitting gear. STX is doing a great job. I wear their surgeon line shoulders & elbows - and they are simply awesome.

I have also worn and played with, and rejected the following shoulder pads:

- ccm rbz (heavier, more bulky)

- ccm ultra tacks (slightly more bulky, closest in weight to six surgeon, but still more bulky)

- bauer apx2 (more bulky, heavier, big shoulder caps)

- bauer supreme mx3 (more bulky, light but bigger shoulder caps - bauer generally has bigger shoulder caps than most)

- warrior dynasty line (light, but still more bulky and bigger caps than stk)

best of luck.

there is no best shoulder pad - its all about what works for you. what feels lighter to me may feel heavier to you.

I had to spend some money and play with all of these to discover what i felt most comfortable with.

i hope this helped and best of luck.

I just picked up some Easton Stealth CM 5.0s or something like that for $50 from Totes Hockey. They're everything I was looking for, good frontal and spinal protection and small shoulder caps.

STX Surgeon Line Shoulder Pads.

in my opinion, they are the lightest, least bulky, most low profile & protective shoulders on the market today.

you need some protection in mens league, it's hockey - there is contact and this little heavy thing called a puck flying through the air that could hit your sternum of shoulder.

it's all about personal preference, comfort and fit in protective gear. I change my protective gear all the time, always looking for the lightest, most protective and better fitting gear. STX is doing a great job. I wear their surgeon line shoulders & elbows - and they are simply awesome.

I have also worn and played with, and rejected the following shoulder pads:

- ccm rbz (heavier, more bulky)

- ccm ultra tacks (slightly more bulky, closest in weight to six surgeon, but still more bulky)

- bauer apx2 (more bulky, heavier, big shoulder caps)

- bauer supreme mx3 (more bulky, light but bigger shoulder caps - bauer generally has bigger shoulder caps than most)

- warrior dynasty line (light, but still more bulky and bigger caps than stk)

best of luck.

there is no best shoulder pad - its all about what works for you. what feels lighter to me may feel heavier to you.

I had to spend some money and play with all of these to discover what i felt most comfortable with.

i hope this helped and best of luck.

Interesting that is your experience. When I tried on the Surgerons I remember thinking that they were one of the heavier pads out there. That said, the mobility and profile of them was impressive.

Interesting that is your experience. When I tried on the Surgerons I remember thinking that they were one of the heavier pads out there. That said, the mobility and profile of them was impressive.

From what I remember, a site (I think PuckStop) had them listed at like around 1300 grams. Total Hockey has them at 910, but I don't buy it.

Way off. There is no way that the RBZ shoulderpads are heavier than the surgeons, and definitely no way that the Tacks are lighter than the RBZ. Purefoam is more dense than u foam. The STX shoulders are still nice, but definitely not lighter than RBZ.

Surgeons are really low profile and fit and move very well. They aren't as light as RBZ's but they are a little less bulky but it's not a huge difference.

Can't go wrong with either pad. I prefer the Surgeons as I had issues with the RBZ's ridding up a bit in the front.

I also was under the impression that Dynasty AX1's were heavier but almost as mobile as APX2's. APX2's were so insanely light, mobile, and protective, I would consider wearing them for both beer league and full contact leagues. I'm usually unimpressed with Bauer, but those left me completely convinced.

Can't go wrong with the Surgeons or RBZs. I ended up with the RBZ150s because there wasn't anyone around with Surgeons and I wanted to be sure on sizing.

I just called Total Hockey and having them save there last pair of Bauer APX2 shoulder pads for me until tomorrow. Since there on clearance I'm going to try them on and if I like them I'm getting them. :) I'm looking for something that's light, low profile, and offers more protection then my Bauer Supreme one 60's I'm using now.