Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iammerson

Profiling questions for my mako 2

So I am not very familiar with profiling skates. I really love the mako 2 boots but would really like a more standard pitch on my steel like my old pair of bauers. Can someone walk me through this such as what to ask for as far as a number also do I need to mention I had the skates profiled everytime I sharpen the skates after the initial profile?

Thank you for your help!

The Quickest and cheapest solution will be to get new runners. Specifically, I suggest you get Step Steel. It comes with a neutral profile which will make Mako's go from an overall +3, to an overall +2. And no you do not need them profiled every time you get a sharpening. Depending on how much you skate, 1 or 2 times per year is probably fine. If you need less pitch than the +2, I'd suggest just slapping Tuuk holders on the Mako's.

Z1ggy isn't suggesting putting new holders on. He's suggesting getting Step Steel that is compatible with CXN holders. It comes with a more neutral profile so may not need to be profiled. Profiling would probably be cheaper, however; you're going to loose some steel if you go that route. It's also nice to have a spare set of steel around in case you have a breakage and the local stores are either closed or don't have your steel in stock (might be out of your size ect.).

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a specific place to go to get the step steel? Wold step steel provide that neutral feel I am looking for or is the aggressive pitch so significant with the way the mako 2 boot sits?

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a specific place to go to get the step steel? Wold step steel provide that neutral feel I am looking for or is the aggressive pitch so significant with the way the mako 2 boot sits?

Just search the internet for Step Steel for CXN holders. All the major hockey stores carry it. It will definitely reduce the aggressive pitch a bit, but, as I've found for my Makos, it might not be enough. I just had Tuuks installed on my Makos so I could reduce the pitch further and use my already-profiled steel.

Like z1ggy said, switching to step would move the pitch from +3 to +2. If you still wanted the boots to feel more neutral you could get them profiled, but less steel would have to be taken off the step steel than the CXN runners. Another option would be to have a front shim installed. As for buying the step, I know there are a few stores that sell them on eBay and they're also carried in some hockey shops.

No Icing sells the step steel, and will sharpen and radius them to your liking. I have gotten 2 pair from them for my Mako's using the CXN holder, and the +2 is fine for me. +3 was just too much... But I can't imagine being on 0 or just +1 as I'd feel too much on my heels. Suggest you try this first and if you don't like it, just go right to Tuuk holders. Shims are going to require you to unrivet the holder anyway.

No Icing sells the step steel, and will sharpen and radius them to your liking. I have gotten 2 pair from them for my Mako's using the CXN holder, and the +2 is fine for me. +3 was just too much... But I can't imagine being on 0 or just +1 as I'd feel too much on my heels. Suggest you try this first and if you don't like it, just go right to Tuuk holders. Shims are going to require you to unrivet the holder anyway.

They sharpen before they even mail them out?