Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2016 CCM Super Tacks

On 04/15/2016 at 8:39 PM, BelangerJS said:

Sizing was adjusted for the 2016 Tacks line. Most stores have not received the most recent Super Tacks sizing tool, so you were likely sized on an older version of the brannock or FootDisc. The new sizing is actually 0.5 higher than JetSpeed and RibCor/Reebok.

That means: If you're a size 8D in Reebok RibCors, you are a size 8.5D in Super Tacks and the entire 2016 Tacks line..

You've adjusted sizing again? That's ridiculous, considering both the odd choice to adjust the sizing scale for RBZ downwards and now 2016 Tacks upwards? I see absolutely no benefit to anyone from this as there will be much confusion as similar to the RBZs. I'm not usually this critical but who honestly thought this was a good idea?

4 hours ago, AIREAYE said:

You've adjusted sizing again? That's ridiculous, considering both the odd choice to adjust the sizing scale for RBZ downwards and now 2016 Tacks upwards? I see absolutely no benefit to anyone from this as there will be much confusion as similar to the RBZs. I'm not usually this critical but who honestly thought this was a good idea?

Hi Aireaye. I very much respect your opinion on this, and in fact, agree very much which is why our team implemented a change. It's really about a long term view.

I came into my role at CCM 18 months ago, and thought the sizing differences in the industry were actually ridiculous, let alone the differences between the skates of our brand. There's no reason for a player to fit as an 8.5 in one brand, and an 8 in the other.  So, our team implemented a sizing change starting with the Tacks 2016 where we moved up 0.5 on sizing, and we will do the same with the 2017 product lines. This is short term "painpoint" for long term clarity for all hockey players. We will be communicating this very clearly to consumers and retailers so that come 2017, all of the most popular skates in the industry will have the same sizing. 

• Like 2

With respect, that is exactly what was told to retailers when the RBZ came out 2 years ago, yet here we are. If the goal is to align CCM length sizing with Bauer, then is there a reason to adjust Ribcor and Jetspeed upwards at all? They tend to line up already with Bauer close enough...

Does anyone have information regarding:

1) weight? (in size 9D)

2) how flexible is the tendon guard?

3) shape of the toe cap?

On 4/20/2016 at 3:50 PM, AIREAYE said:

With respect, that is exactly what was told to retailers when the RBZ came out 2 years ago, yet here we are. If the goal is to align CCM length sizing with Bauer, then is there a reason to adjust Ribcor and Jetspeed upwards at all? They tend to line up already with Bauer close enough...

Jetspeeds for most are half size down from Bauer, myself included. 8 in Mx3 and 7.5 in Jetspeed. This 2017 adjustment would match up the Jetspeed line to Bauer.

Does it really matter whether the sizing lines up or is consistent with another brand? Regardless when getting fitted you're always going to try on several sizes anyways. I understand that it can be an annoyance. However I would never blindly buy new skates in a particular size based solely on past experience with a previous model. I'll always try on several pair to ensure a proper fit. 

31 minutes ago, Anjin-san said:

Does it really matter whether the sizing lines up or is consistent with another brand? Regardless when getting fitted you're always going to try on several sizes anyways. I understand that it can be an annoyance. However I would never blindly buy new skates in a particular size based solely on past experience with a previous model. I'll always try on several pair to ensure a proper fit. 

Not everyone has a local skate shop that they can visit, to try on new/ different models of skate, when a new skate is required. Thus, online ordering takes place, without first going through this process that you describe. So, it behooves the skate companies to make themselves uniform to the benchmark (Bauer), so that when Miscellaneous Guy living in the Middle of Nowhere's Vapor skates are finished, and he is interested to try something new, he can buy another brand online with confidence.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, markush said:

So is there already some insight / on-ice experience how the new Super Tacks are different compared to JetSpeed, Bauer 1X ?

I've been on them for 2-3 months now. I don't fit in Vapor but I did use JetSpeeds in the past. So here's my experience compared to JetSpeed in a nutshell: much more responsive, even more anatomical, lower cut boot and a more aggressive forward pitch. 

• Like 3

Hopefully one of the CCM guys / product manager can shed some light on this one: had a quick chance to check out the new skates. Great first impression and really promising. Though what somewhat scared me was the very stiff tendon guard. Especially as other brands also in favor of a longer and more powerful stride keep it flexible. What is the intention behind it - if there is any? ;) To me this seems more to hinder the stride. 

On 5/18/2016 at 4:46 PM, markush said:

Hopefully one of the CCM guys / product manager can shed some light on this one: had a quick chance to check out the new skates. Great first impression and really promising. Though what somewhat scared me was the very stiff tendon guard. Especially as other brands also in favor of a longer and more powerful stride keep it flexible. What is the intention behind it - if there is any? ;) To me this seems more to hinder the stride. 

Good question, I'm happy to explain.

We spent a lot of time analyzing the ice skating stride with our research partners at the University of Calgary (Biomechanigg Sport & Health Research) as well as consulting prior research on the matter. The tendon guard on the Super Tacks skate is optimally placed to provide a maximum power stride. It has been straightened out compared to the previous version of Tacks to assure full clearance of the stride.

See this video from Hockey Tutorial on Youtube that illustrates this difference.

As for the tendon stiffness, it helps with its durability, as this is an area of any skate which is more susceptible to breaking down than almost any other part, due to how players put on and take off their skates. It's a spec that is often requested for our pro custom skates.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GQRDY said:

I'm presuming it will be ok to use superfeet/powerfoot with these skates if we wanted to?

I'm using both with no issues. The toe box is already fairly short so I don't use the shim for the Power Foot insert. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IW Team - Chase said:

I'm using both with no issues. The toe box is already fairly short so I don't use the shim for the Power Foot insert. 

cool thanks

• Like 1

Took the Super Tacks skate out for a spin today and was quite impressed.  The skate was very responsive and well built.  I normally wear a 7.5D Supreme and stayed with a 7.5D Tacks.  I did not have them baked (just spot heated some pressure points) but I feel I can fit a 7.0D after baking.  The toe cap feel reminded me of a cross between a Supreme and Mako.  This is the one CCM skate I've been excited about in recent years.  It will be CCM's widest fitting retail boot.  You'll have to go custom if you need a skate with more volume (similar to the Nexus or RBZ).

I would buy a pair when it releases but the price (and no EPP incentive at this time) makes it difficult to justify switching from my Supremes.

• Like 2

On 22. April 2016 at 7:10 PM, Cosmic said:

Does anyone have information regarding:

1) weight? (in size 9D)

2) how flexible is the tendon guard?

3) shape of the toe cap?

1) It seems to be even lighter than my Bauer 1X

2) This is the stiffest tendon guard I have ever seen! Had some concerns as expressed in a previous comment but obviously this is by intention. Eager to try this if it helps a more powerful stride or if it's hindering stride length. 

3) The toe cap is absolutely amazing! Due to the new construction the toe cap is put on top of the mono frame and there is enough space even for my bigger forefoot. Best toe cap so far I would say. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2016 at 5:54 PM, markush said:

Was anyone able to compare this one to the Bauer 1X? Also what is the difference in weight?

I want to know this too. I'm in a 8.5EE in the 1X, not sure what size I should order in the Super Tacks? 8.5EE in the 1X is a very snug fit for me in all aspects. 

Ps. Similar situation to some, I live no where near somewhere that stocks CCM. 6+ hours drive at least.

On 6/17/2016 at 11:46 PM, SCATMAN said:

I want to know this too. I'm in a 8.5EE in the 1X, not sure what size I should order in the Super Tacks? 8.5EE in the 1X is a very snug fit for me in all aspects. 

Ps. Similar situation to some, I live no where near somewhere that stocks CCM. 6+ hours drive at least.

Good question on the fit. In general (and i have to use this term because fit comparisons are incredibly subjective as I'm sure you know), players we tested wearing skates like yours preferred the JetSpeed EE fit, and when it came to Super Tacks there was a move to D (because Super Tacks fit slightly wider than JetSpeed).

The real question is if you like how "very snug" you are in your current skates. If you like it, i would suggest an 8.5D in Super Tacks, whereas if you would like a little more room, then opt for the 8.5EE. 

I hope this helps.

JS

• Like 1

JS,  could you provide us more details on the baking process - a best practice approach. 

Standing up, remain sitting all the time, what time intervals and so on. 

Any idea on when the rest of the catalogue will get posted? Got to see the whole skate line up close and personal this past week and would love to see the spec list on some of the midline skates, as if I recall the 6052 will still have a full composite boot at a very competitive price point 

21 hours ago, markush said:

JS,  could you provide us more details on the baking process - a best practice approach. 

Standing up, remain sitting all the time, what time intervals and so on. 

The heating process is the same for the Super Tacks as it has been for our skates the last few years.

- preheat the skate oven at 220F

- Leave skates in the oven for a maximum of 2 minutes

- tighten the skates normally to get the wrap around the entire foot. Do not over tighten.

- stay seated for 10-15 minutes, knees bent at 90 degrees. Do not stand or flex the skates during this time.

- Do not play with the skates for a minimum of 12 hours

• Like 2

12 hours ago, adam14 said:

Any idea on when the rest of the catalogue will get posted? Got to see the whole skate line up close and personal this past week and would love to see the spec list on some of the midline skates, as if I recall the 6052 will still have a full composite boot at a very competitive price point 

Most online retailers now have the full line available on pre-order with detailed specs. 

- The Super Tacks is a one-piece carbon composite boot.

- The Ultra Tacks is a two-piece (with outsole) carbon composite boot 

- The Tacks 6092 is a two piece, textured composite material skate 

- The Tacks 5092 is a two piece composite material skate.