Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pylon

buying skates for my son?

Its time for new skates. Problem is I know how much it sucks trying to find the perfect skate. I know what works for me, but how do I know whats going to work for him?

Id hate to drop the money on a pair of skates that he will hate. Or worse, hurt his feet scaring him away from skating.

He's 7, but he is the size of your average 10 year old. He is probably due for another growth spur.

Current skate is a size 4.5 nike. He has never once complained about his feet hurting, but I got them used and allready broke in.

Advice?

I'm certainly not the expert others here are, but I have an 8 yr old daughter and this is what I do.

We drive a couple hours to a shop with a much larger selection of skates, I get her foot measured and then have them bring out multiple pairs of skates to try.

I think last fall we started with 8 pairs, and she tried them all on. Walked around, sat around, spent time in them and narrowed it down to the ones that felt best to her.

I also stress to her before we get there that feet that hurt are no fun so take her time and really pick the ones that feel best, and much to her mother's dismay I don't buy them too big so there is "room to grow".

So far I've been lucky and her growth spurts have been in the summer.

4 hours ago, Skoda10 said:

I also stress to her before we get there that feet that hurt are no fun so take her time and really pick the ones that feel best, and much to her mother's dismay I don't buy them too big so there is "room to grow".

So far I've been lucky and her growth spurts have been in the summer.

Good advice, thank you. My "local" hockey shops are also hours away.  Regular season ends this Sunday, then I'm tossing these skates.  He will be doing a summer hockey school, so I'd need something with in the next few weeks.

My wife also likes to buy stuff to grow into, and I absolutely will not let her do this with athletic equipments.  She tried pulling that crap with his soccer cleats AND the skates he currently has now.  She also insists that he wears "warm socks" while skating, and skating barefoot is gross and unsanitary (little does she know he's been skating barefoot all season)

I'm a new member here, much like you we live 4 hrs away from the nearest hockey supply. Here's what I did:
1. Determine you budget

2. Go to Total Hockey, Hockey Monkey, etc. and look for skates in the size you want. (I like Total since you can return skates for a full refund, some others only a credit for discounted skates. Plus Total you can return by mail or to a store)

3. Order multiple pairs, in my case I ordered 5. All were discounted BTW.

4. Once they come, have her try them all one, pick the one that fits best.

5. Return the others.

It's not perfect but it works pretty well. In my case we'll return the skates to the store next time we make the drive to the city which will be in a few weeks. At that point well have the keeper skates cooked.

You have a tough situation.  All things being =, the most important thing for skate selection, especially for kids, is getting a boot that fits properly.  If there is any possible way of making the haul to a real hockey shop where a real person can help fit your boy, I'd recommend doing that.  If not, ordering a few models on-line, finding the one that fits best, and then baking it at home, might be your only choice.  Keep in mind that you're going to need a major initial sharpening anyway, unless you've got a home sharpener.

Here's my only other thought: don't go for the most expensive or stiffest skates.  In my view, most of the high end kids skates are way too stiff for younger kids to use properly.  The kids aren't big enough or strong enough, and having a mega-stiff boot inhibits them from learning a good knee bend and toe kick.  (For whatever it's worth, I think most kids use sticks that are too stiff for them, too, making it harder to learn proper shooting technique...)  If your boy is growing really quickly, you might be able to buy yourself a few more months of use by doubling up on a footbed (maybe a Superfeet yellow on top of the stock footbed), but that will likely only work on a deeper boot, and it will impact the skate's fit.  But when his feet really start aching, you can always take out the smaller stock footbed and seem like a hero.