Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMA530

New HiLo Asphalt Wheels Feel Strange

Hey guys,

New to the site and getting back into hockey after a 10 year layoff.  Played ice in my teens and twenties and then just fooled around for quite a few years after I got married and had kids. Now my 9 year old loves playing hockey and I'm trying to blow the dust off. Now to my issue. Started getting into inline hockey. I had a pair of Missions 10 years ago that pretty much fell apart on me and I purchased a pair of Alkali Comps at Christmas time. They come stock with a Labeda RPG 74A wheel setup. I use them for both indoor and outdoor including my asphalt driveway. I started to wear them a bit and thought I should get some appropriate outdoor wheels. I went with the orange HiLo Clinger 82A and matched them up with some swiss bearings. I tried them out the other day on my driveway and hated them. They feel like I'm skating on billiard balls. I can skate great with the stock RPGs but I am having issues with the HiLos. I go 210# and 6'-0" tall. I know that I am way too heavy for the 74As but they feel good and totally different to the 82As. Now, I did have a set of Red Star Tritons 82As on my Missions and I never felt like this. Am I going crazy or is there something to this? Need some advice. Thanx.

hard wheels like that aren't setup for comfort or ride quality at all. I used to use Hyper Power Edge Street wheels, and they were about the best balance of durability and ride. Might want to consider some of those.

If you are looking for a quality outdoor wheel, check out the USA made Labeda Asphalt wheels. These wheels are the reason you wheel see most outdoor wheels colored orange.  Trying to trick the consumer to thinking they are the same thing. 

*Edited to fix my mistake

I'll echo what Justin said 1000000000%. Go with the Asphalts. If you want a bit more grip, the yellow/lime green Labeda Grippers also work. That's what I rock for outdoor hockey

Thanx for the replies guys. That is interesting about the HiLo wheels being made in China. The wheels say they are made in the USA. Is this a blatant act of false advertising? I actually read an article about good outdoor wheels and this was one of the recommendations. I'll check out the Labedas and the Hypers. I think 86 has something with the swiss bearings. I'm losing my bearings!!!!

Those ones are made in the US, and I was mistaken.   I was thinking of the Court, Street, and Switch wheels.  Those models are made in China.

No problem at all. After doing some more research last evening, I really think that Labeda has their act together. That is my next stop for wheels. Thanx guys.