Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missin44

New Member looking for advice on skates for my son

Hello all a new member, found the site and joined. My 13 old son plays, all of us huge Caps fans.

For my first question.

My son need new skates, ability lever about a 6 based on scale 1 to 10. 1 being can't stand up, 10 being this kid stakes like the NHL. We live in an area where skates and shops are at least 4 hour drive away. His ski racing season is over. His spring season has started and is on rental skates at the moment, we failed to check is old skates over the winter. He got measured at our local rink for a size 5.5, we're going with a size 6 for growth. All that said I ordered 5 pairs of skates from Total Hockey, we'll keep one pair and return the rest. The pair we keep will be sharpened local and cooked when we go see the Caps take on the Avs in Denver in a few weeks. All the skates were on sale or closeout, take a look:

1. Graf Ultra G65 - Listed $550 - paid $179

2. Bauer Supreme 160 - Listed $200 - paid $150

3. Bauer Supreme 170 - Listed $300 - paid $230

4. Easton Stealth RS - Listed $600 - paid $180

5. Easton Stealth 85S - Listed $400 - paid $200

First, for me he most important issue is fit. But assuming all fit well I would like thoughts on the different skates As far as the listed prices go I'm not sure how much that really means, again any thoughts you might have would be a huge help.

You already blew the fit idea by ordering skates that are to large. To me that is the biggest mistake parents make. Buy skates that fit them now, not later. I know it may mean buying skates twice in one season (been there, done that) but it's better for the player. Have him try on all the skates, whichever feels the most comfortable wins. If he is on the ice a lot his feet will thank him

The RS is a really nice skate, if it fits him, he'll love it.  The price is super too. I recommend blindfolding him when he tries on the skates, that way he won't be swayed by brand hype.

^ That's pretty good advice. Kids these days want whatever their NHLer is in, or their buddies, even if the fit is off.

1 hour ago, jimmy said:

The RS is a really nice skate, if it fits him, he'll love it.  The price is super too. I recommend blindfolding him when he tries on the skates, that way he won't be swayed by brand hype.

RS is a nice skate, but quality is suspect.  A teammate of mine had to return two pairs because the toe cap was shattered by a shot, (neither a particularly hard shot).  He did enjoy the skates for the five weeks in total that he had them.

Anecdotal or just bad luck. I think we sold about 40pairs of those with no toe cap issues, nor even one warranty claim.  Again, even this is a small sample size but if it was a defect like LS4 steel or the clear-blue holders, it would show up on nearly every pair.

Agreed.  Just slightly suspicious that it happened twice in less than a month, to the same person.  My money would be on a bad batch of toe caps.

21 hours ago, chk hrd said:

You already blew the fit idea by ordering skates that are to large. To me that is the biggest mistake parents make. Buy skates that fit them now, not later. I know it may mean buying skates twice in one season (been there, done that) but it's better for the player. Have him try on all the skates, whichever feels the most comfortable wins. If he is on the ice a lot his feet will thank him

It's easy to say that, but for some families not possible. That's the case with ours and millions of others. Of course it's best to buy the prefect fit. Just be careful about spending other peoples money. To date my son has done just fine with skate 1/2 size big, at 13 he's about to hit a big growth spurt. I'll be lucky to get a full year out of them.

When my son who plays was younger I allowed a bit of space so the skate would last the season but only that. I always figured it was a pair a year - leaving any more space than that is really problematic but doing what you are doing is typical. If he become a high level player then you might change up that plan.  I just hope that the 5.5 is a skate size and not shoe size.  Skates normally fit 1.5 to 2 sizes lower than shoe size.  I have a 10.5 shoe and wear an 8 skate.  I could probably go 7 3/4 in a custom!!

As to which skates of the group - that's so hard to say for a younger skater who hasn't had time to develop a style and also hard without knowing foot type.  Each skate is cut a but differently so again, fit becomes the primary factor.  Of your list I am partial to Bauers.  I think (and many others do based on sales $) that they make the best skates.  I happen to wear a vapor cut in a EE because that is what fits me best.  If I could wear them I'd get a Supreme but only because I like the looks of them and thats not a reason to buy a type of skate!!

Your son is young and won't be breaking toe caps blocking clappers... don't even worry about that stuff.

Enjoy the ride!!!!!!

You said the most important thing was fit, which is why it was suggested to make sure he's in skates that... fit. 

If the most important thing is money, that's a different story. As long as you're aware and accept that the fit won't be ideal, then that's your starting point.

I'm curious why you bought multiple pairs from the same line rather than buying different lines (a supreme and a vapor as opposed to two supremes). I do like that you were willing to order a bunch and send back the rejects; that's usually how I order shoes from zappos.

The above suggestion to do the testing blindfolded is a great one. I highly recommend that idea!

Let us know how it turns out!

1 minute ago, OptimusReim said:

You said the most important thing was fit, which is why it was suggested to make sure he's in skates that... fit. 

If the most important thing is money, that's a different story. As long as you're aware and accept that the fit won't be ideal, then that's your starting point.

I'm curious why you bought multiple pairs from the same line rather than buying different lines (a supreme and a vapor as opposed to two supremes). I do like that you were willing to order a bunch and send back the rejects; that's usually how I order shoes from zappos.

The above suggestion to do the testing blindfolded is a great one. I highly recommend that idea!

Let us know how it turns out!

Fair enough on the fit thing. In past experience before we moved and had a excellent local shop, we found the the fit could change slightly within the same line. Aside from that I looked skate that had the largest discounts, anyway with 5 skates I'm guessing there will be at least one keeper. We are aware of the sizing issue street shoe vs. skate. Thanks

After trying on all 5 skates the winner was the Easton RS, followed closely by the Easton 85S, Bauer 160, Graf with the Bauer 170 bringing up the rear.

Just to add a bit on sizing, I have always gone 1/2 size up on the pups(well, when their feet are growing, little ones still are).  I go until they need new skates(bad enough they told me), then go an full size up.  When we're doing this, never go by sizing, but feet.  I still generally get 1 year and am fine with it and I've never run into issue.  

I'm convinced sizing is subjective.  I wear size 14 Brooks GTS running shoes, wear Bauer 11EE One100's, my son wears 13 Brooks GTS and wears Bauer 11EE 190s, my daughter wears 6 Nike running shoes, CCM JetSpeed 290's(bought around the same time).

For what it's worth, I think it's 100% fine getting a pup a skate a 1/2 size big, in fact, I'd recommend it.  Just my opinion.