Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDhouston

Glove and thumb issues

I picked up a pair of pro stock warrior dynasty AX1 gloves a while back they felt great. I noticed right away how long the thumb loop is. The thumb itself wouldn't flex but because the loop is so long my thumb actually felt exposed. Well sure enough bam collision and my left, top hand, thumb gets bent backwards to the side at a strange angle. Because in my opinion the loop is too long. Tore the tendon, broke it. Had to have surgery. I'm almost ready to get back but want new gloves that won't let my thumb be so exposed. Just got a pair of Bauer nexus 1000 in and they feel so stiff and small. Can't stand the palms either. But I do like the free flex thumb and how much shorter the thumb loop is. 

Is the loop is longer on the current warriors because the thumb doesn't move because they are pro stock. Would a retail pair of AX1 have a shorter loop? 

Sorry for the long rant. Any feedback would be great! Thanks in advance 

I'm 6' 3" skate twice per week. 15" gloves 

If thumb loop is so long to let the thumb bend backwards and break, something's not right there.

To be honest I've yet to see a hockey glove with flexible thumb guard. And I'm excluding the vintage gloves here.

I compared my Eagle Aero Pro and Warrior Franchise (not pro stock) and Warrior does seem to have slightly longer thumb loop, but it could also be because the Aero has more padding. But neither is so long that the thumb might bend out of position.

Having said that, perhaps you can consider sewing a fold in the thumb loop to shorten it a bit? You could probably do it yourself, or get either your LHS or local shoe repair shop sew it for you.

Just have them repalmed. Not sure where you got the gloves, but if they're pro returns, there's usually (not always) something wrong with them (hence why they'd be returned). 

In my case, I bought some pro returns gloves and my gloves had a liner that was made too small and an index finger that was made too long and wouldn't allow the padding to extend properly.

I have some retail AX1's and AX1LT's in 13", the loop isn't that much longer than on any top end Bauer or Easton I have. What the Warriors do have is two thumb positions, you can either use the thumb loop or there is another pocket directly under the plastic insert, in a lot of other gloves I have this area is sewn off. I've never used the Warriors as the fit is too large for what I like but the previous owner used the gloves with their thumb in the pocket under the plastic insert so I might use them for a skate to see what it is like.

Seeing as how pros are known to cut their thumb loops, I would not be surprised if whoever these pro stock belonged to, stretched the loops. I do not know how long your loop is or how long the retail AX1s are, so cannot really comment on that.

However, if you want max thumb protection, then contact Pat at Custom Pro Repair. I broke my thumb in a tourney recently, and had him go max protect across my entire glove (when one is paying all the shipping back and forth across the border, then one may as well just get everything done). The areas that he has beefed up have already been hit by pucks and sticks (as opposed to my hand having taken it, so I am a happy camper):

Pat is epically busy, so it may help if you know what he calls the items that he did to my gloves (I explained everything that I wanted, and he translated into the official terms, which are noted here):

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-30%20at%202.10.2

Pat said he did these thumbs for Colin White, who I think maybe had a similar injury and wanted similar protection? (I had a hard time taking a pic of the work that Pat did for me, but it is identical to this thumb- when I explained to Pat what I wanted, he referenced this glove job that he did, and I then Googled it and found this):

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-27%20at%2012.20.

So yea, if you want to protect that thumb upon your return, then here ya go. Here are my gloves, you can barely see the thumb guard in the second pic:

99DA16E7-7DEC-4EEE-AFEE-4A66C64406A2_zps

2ED3ED9C-5A54-4B3F-9920-AE9089DBE494_zps