Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RickDC

Bauer Helmets... Virginia Tech Ratings...

So I've emailed Bauer twice in the last month requesting a comment regarding Virginia Tech's STAR rating and the disparity between those findings, and Bauer's own marketing concerning concussion prevention / reduction. What's worrisome is that the ReAkt helmets fair badly in comparison with other helmets despite Bauers marketing claims..

I've got Bauers ReAkt helmet and a few months ago bought the ReAkt 100 based upon Bauers claims of concussion reduction (and the fact they are damn comfortable). Whilst I'm fully aware that no-one can make a helmet that's "concussion proof", my concern was not skimping on spending $ on a piece of equipment that, in my mind (literally and figuratively), is one of the most important.

Just to let readers know that, after sending an email requesting a comment, 4 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago from my work email (so not some random hotmail or gmail address), I have not received a response.

That will certainly sway me when I next look at buying equipment, and whether to buy Bauer or not..

</rant_over>

Bauer already released a statement regarding the VTU STAR rating system:

https://www.bauer.com/helmets

As far as releasing a comment or reply to everyone that asks for one, I don't think that is something that they need to do.

In my opinion, it doesn't seem like a wise business decision if they did that.

Thanks Chippa... I'm aware that Bauer was told not to use misleading marketing information.. However, what's worrying was the non-response from Bauer. Their wording of:

"Expertly applied with a complete fit system to deliver an enhanced level of protection on the ice. Featuring the SUSPEND-TECH 2 liner with FleXorb and VTX Technology with SEVEN+ for optimal impact management."

Not very optimal when their latest helmet, the 100, performs worse than the original ReAkt ;-) And both are 1 star (marginal) according to Virginia Tech..

The point I'm trying to raise, is not one of the helmets, but the fact that Bauer hasn't even bothered to reply..

Helmets prevent fractures, not concussions. That is the last thing I will contribute to what is no doubt becoming a one-man bitch session.

The biggest issue that this demonstrates is that people are automatically taking the Virginia tech study as the be all end all when it comes to helmet testing and safety. 

10 minutes ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

that tears it!  i'm going back to the Val Kilmer approved Jofa!

If we ever play on the same team...you can be my wingman  any time. I only say that, because I am a center.

My Bauer 5100 has protected my head from some nasty smacks quite a few times. I'm pretty sold on their protection in general but more specifically their helmets.

3 minutes ago, the iceman said:

If we ever play on the same team...you can be my wingman  any time. I only say that, because I am a center.

well, I'll be at SummerJam!    but be careful what you wish for...

Iceman: You’re everyone’s problem. That’s because every time you go out on the ice, you’re unsafe. I don’t like you because you’re dangerous.
GreatestAmericanBeardo: That’s right! Ice… man. I am dangerous.

~taked from the script of Top Gun 2

TIY3Ypi.jpg

but seriously folks, i have my little guy in an old school Jofa and my older one in a Bauer 5100, but i may want to rethink their buckets for next season. 

if i could, i'd be going all Ron Duguay out there. (my hair would just blow around on the lower part of my head)

Damn between this and the other debacles with Easton and Sports Authority going bankrupt, PSG really has their hands full.   

I don't know why we're still talking about the VT study. The other thread on the same topic died down long ago. 

I'm curious what credentials @RickDC has that would warrant a comment from Bauer. Which publication do you work for? 

Like @the iceman said, they've already released a statement so really it's no wonder they aren't going to provide additional comment on the matter. 

Howdy,

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Helmets prevent fractures, not concussions. That is the last thing I will contribute to what is no doubt becoming a one-man bitch session.

2 hours ago, Stewie said:

The biggest issue that this demonstrates is that people are automatically taking the Virginia tech study as the be all end all when it comes to helmet testing and safety. 

There seems to be almost no data at all out there outside of the Virginia Tech study.  And in other sports, helmets _certainly_ prevent concussions.

I'm sure it will take a while for people to care about helmet ratings, but it will happen.  Its stupid not to try and prevent concussions by better helmet design.

Mark

27 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

There seems to be almost no data at all out there outside of the Virginia Tech study.  And in other sports, helmets _certainly_ prevent concussions.

I'm sure it will take a while for people to care about helmet ratings, but it will happen.  Its stupid not to try and prevent concussions by better helmet design.

Mark

No helmet will prevent concussions entirely.  The only way to completely prevent concussions is to never move very fast, and then suddenly stop.  

2 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

but seriously folks, i have my little guy in an old school Jofa....

I'm really hoping you are talking about a child. :ph34r:

49 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Your helmet can have absolutely nothing to do with preventing you from getting a concussion when playing hockey. A good shoulder to shoulder check and your head gets whiplash can cause a concussion.  The only way to prevent concussions in hockey is don't play hockey.

Howdy,

1 hour ago, Gummer12 said:

No helmet will prevent concussions entirely.  The only way to completely prevent concussions is to never move very fast, and then suddenly stop.  

I totally agree.

You know what would be good?  If there was some type of rating system, based on public and controlled tests that evaluated helmets as to how much they attenuated an impact and thus how much they would likely reduce the chances of a concussion.

Edit:  I should be less of a smartass.  This isn't some binary "all concussions are prevented" vs. "No concussions are prevented" thing.  And certainly hockey will provide other opportunities to get injured, and even concussed, that a helmet won't be able to do anything about.

But having a better helmet on your head when your head hits something will still help in that instance.  And right now, hockey helmet tech seems to be very far behind other sports.  I think a big part of that is that other sports have had industry standard tests like the Virginia Tech Star study they help drive consumer demand as well as better safety (as opposed to comfort, styling, etc.) engineering/design. 

As someone who's been heavily involved in motorsports during the time when head and neck restraint devices went from non-existent to widespread use, the arguments I'm reading against the STAR helmet study sound exactly like those that opponents of those systems also used.  And they sound just like the arguments used to oppose every safety advance I've ever heard of in sports.  They are arguments that are guaranteed losers.

If someone can make a reasonable argument that the STAR study is flawed and that another test that they've performed is more valid... Cool.  That's a good discussion and one that will advance safety.  But if the only argument is "no helmet can prevent all concussions"... Well, that's not a very convincing argument for not pursuing better helmets.

Mark

1 hour ago, DarkStar50 said:

Your helmet can have absolutely nothing to do with preventing you from getting a concussion when playing hockey. A good shoulder to shoulder check and your head gets whiplash can cause a concussion.  The only way to prevent concussions in hockey is don't play hockey.

Trying to prevent a concussion via helmet is going about it the wrong way.  Unless you can put a helmet on your brain and keep it from slamming into your skull anyways.

The more you know... The smarter you are.... :)

Rating system is all fine in principle.  Until someone gets a concussion while wearing a 5 Star rated helmet.  Then they get sued and the costs of helmets skyrockets to cover the cost of all the lawsuits.  

19 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

I don't know why we're still talking about the VT study. The other thread on the same topic died down long ago. 

I'm curious what credentials @RickDC has that would warrant a comment from Bauer. Which publication do you work for? 

Like @the iceman said, they've already released a statement so really it's no wonder they aren't going to provide additional comment on the matter. 

at the very least they could have fired off a standard boilerplate email  to the @rickDC to make him feel all warm and fuzzy (Tommy Boy's words, not mine)

OR replied "we've issued out statement, and have no further comments at this time."  for the NOT so warm and fuzzy 

maybe its just me working in marketing/PR

But if they have hundreds of emails coming in daily, we're talking about having 2+ employees whose job it is to respond to usually pointless emails, and probably quite a bit of emails that are not warm and fuzzy to begin with. Why would they spend 50K+ to respond to emails? However if they're only getting a handful a day (unlikely) then yes someone should be replying, just add a queue to the PR department and have them take items from it and take care of it.

Also to add, why would you sending it from your work email matter at all? Unless it was from "POTUS" I couldn't give a crap less where its from. Yes its a little more professional to use a work email, but, that doesn't mean that you are more valuable than xXx69pantysoaker420xXx @ yahoo IMO. Both customers looking for answers. Yes it would be nice if they replied however I doubt with the volume of emails that they probably receive that they get many replies going out

The short answer is size; they can fit more technologies in there.  At first there were very few 5 star rated helmets but companies were able adjust to the criteria that VT mandated as relevant in helmet protection. as far as it pertained to football.  I am pretty sure if you had football size helmets in hockey they would be able to deal with rotational impacts much better, but who would want to skate with a beach ball on their head.