Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatestAmericanBeardo

Tucked or un-tucked?

Funny enough The Great one started tucking because he was playing with kids so much older than him and his stick always got stuck because the Jerseys were huge... so you sir have something in common with Gretzky!

I play the same way and often have several players on the opposite team upset with me by my third shift. And like you, I keep it clean, and by clean I mean nothing cheap like buttends, slashes, cross-checking etc. Truth is, most players don't like it when a player stays on them and doesn't let up, lifts their stick and makes their life miserable out there. I also find it funny that if they get a bit physical [and i mean a bit, not all out checking and punching, good old shoving and pressure] if you give it back they loose it. Never understood that lol. I love it when you can go out there play hard and laugh about it later, those games are the best. 

Pretty sure it had everything to do with you style of play.... and your beard haha kidding.

As for the Jersey, I play untucked now, wore it tucked for "style" when I was younger. 

On 4/14/2016 at 0:55 PM, vinprun71 said:

I never understood this. I've played teams with women on them. These teams get mad if the ladies get bumped into on accident. If women want to play with men, I'm all for it. That's great. At the end of the day though, if they get bumped into, just like everyone else, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's hockey. It's going to happen. That's why everyone wears pads. It's hard to sometimes notice who you can play rough with and who you can't.

It depends on what It is. If you're twice my size and you shove me to the ground or trip me (which has happened 3 times, two of which cause me to sublux a shoulder. Pads didn't help me with that.) Then we have a problem. The third time it happened I got in the guys face about it (not sure if this forum allows cursing so I'll keep it simple). Another time me and a guy on the opposing team were going after the puck on the boards and I'm honestly not sure what happened but I lost my footing and slammed onto the ground and ended up with a concussion, but there was no one to blame and accidents happen. For me, it depends on if it's intentional or not. It's rare but some people like to play dirty and they're usually the same people,  the refs catch on, and they end up spending a lot of quality time in the box. I also play in a beer league where a lot of women play. There's one team where it's almost all women. 

On 5/30/2016 at 9:08 AM, Ashtasticness said:

It depends on what It is. If you're twice my size and you shove me to the ground or trip me (which has happened 3 times, two of which cause me to sublux a shoulder. Pads didn't help me with that.) Then we have a problem. The third time it happened I got in the guys face about it (not sure if this forum allows cursing so I'll keep it simple). Another time me and a guy on the opposing team were going after the puck on the boards and I'm honestly not sure what happened but I lost my footing and slammed onto the ground and ended up with a concussion, but there was no one to blame and accidents happen. For me, it depends on if it's intentional or not. It's rare but some people like to play dirty and they're usually the same people,  the refs catch on, and they end up spending a lot of quality time in the box. I also play in a beer league where a lot of women play. There's one team where it's almost all women. 

I totally agree. Unfortunately, the goons you're speaking of, play terrible hockey and are rough with both genders. They could care less who they're hitting.

the league I play in provides the jerseys.  They are all xl.  I need an xxl.  So I get to play with my jersey rolled up a bit. So untucked for me.

On 6/27/2016 at 9:58 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

i wear suspenders.  untucked

Gretzky wore suspenders too, that didn't stop him ;-)

I tuck... I started back in the early 90's since I used to watch an old Gretzky hockey tutorial video all the time where he went over all of the ways he got dressed and how and why he did certain things, and well, I thought it would help me play like him if I did things like that haha.  It hasn't worked but I've been doing it ever since so it's just comfortable, it wouldn't feel right not tucking.

3 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Gretzky wore suspenders too, that didn't stop him ;-)

I tuck... I started back in the early 90's since I used to watch an old Gretzky hockey tutorial video all the time where he went over all of the ways he got dressed and how and why he did certain things, and well, I thought it would help me play like him if I did things like that haha.  It hasn't worked but I've been doing it ever since so it's just comfortable, it wouldn't feel right not tucking.

I tried to figure out how to tuck and wear suspenders but couldn't figure out a way to make it work.

I wonder if we know each other...  I am on LI as well.  Where/who you playing for?

3 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I tried to figure out how to tuck and wear suspenders but couldn't figure out a way to make it work.

I wonder if we know each other...  I am on LI as well.  Where/who you playing for?

Currently playing in the E league at the rinx on the "royal puck ups" (I didn't have any part in naming the team), and in the fall/winter I play at Superior on the Kings which I think is a D league but not really sure.  Just started playing again last year after taking some time off (torn ACL which I didn't get fixed til 2 years ago), played various mens leagues back in the mid-late 00's (MHL, HLI, Long Beach), played for CW Post before that and Wantagh/Seaford Baymen hs hockey from 94-97 (grew up in Wantagh and playing at Newbridge before moving out east, was actually psyched to find Andy Cozzi over at Bethpage since he and his family have been taking care of my skates/gear since I was a little kid and I work right around the corner).

Getting back to the tucking, I had some challenges tucking with certain girdles I had, some tucked better than others, but lately I've been using a new cover which comes up higher and gives me a place t tuck, I'm pretty happy about that haha.

4 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Currently playing in the E league at the rinx on the "royal puck ups" (I didn't have any part in naming the team), and in the fall/winter I play at Superior on the Kings which I think is a D league but not really sure.  Just started playing again last year after taking some time off (torn ACL which I didn't get fixed til 2 years ago), played various mens leagues back in the mid-late 00's (MHL, HLI, Long Beach), played for CW Post before that and Wantagh/Seaford Baymen hs hockey from 94-97 (grew up in Wantagh and playing at Newbridge before moving out east, was actually psyched to find Andy Cozzi over at Bethpage since he and his family have been taking care of my skates/gear since I was a little kid and I work right around the corner).

Getting back to the tucking, I had some challenges tucking with certain girdles I had, some tucked better than others, but lately I've been using a new cover which comes up higher and gives me a place t tuck, I'm pretty happy about that haha.

Well, we have been around some of the same people.  I coached Bellmore-Merrick Bulldogs and was the VP for a few years and also coached at Newbridge's house league so I got to know Andy, Dante and Mrs. C pretty well.  Played E, D and C in MHL and now E and D at Northwell in Eisenhower park for the Lightning and K-Stars.  Living in Merrick that's a home run for me.

Maybe I'll try the tuck... makes me look a bit thinner!!  I need all the help I can get!!

Depends on the pants for me, wearing my Coverts the jersey tucks itself its kind of odd, I'm always pulling it out at every stop in play. When I wear my Dynasty girdle no tuck at all. 

Love hearing the Cozzi name come up! As a fellow born & bred Long Islander Andy was a huge influence on me, he was my coach and employer dating back to the early 90's. I worked at all his camps, the warehouse in port washington, the shop in Newbridge from jr. high until college.

Heh, I had no idea that people actually cared about style in amateur hockey. Basically guys my age in Canada just try their best to get two socks that match fairly well and wash their 20 year old equipment once a year.

For me it's more about if the jersey fits properly... If the jersey fits properly then definitely untucked, but if the jersey is to big then I feel like it gets caught on my stick, so therefore I'll tuck the back in to help prevent that. Most of the teams I've played for just order all 2XL jerseys for the team for some odd reason and I'm stuck swimming in my jersey:(

4 hours ago, the_game said:

Depends on the pants for me, wearing my Coverts the jersey tucks itself its kind of odd, I'm always pulling it out at every stop in play. When I wear my Dynasty girdle no tuck at all. 

Love hearing the Cozzi name come up! As a fellow born & bred Long Islander Andy was a huge influence on me, he was my coach and employer dating back to the early 90's. I worked at all his camps, the warehouse in port washington, the shop in Newbridge from jr. high until college.

Awesome!  You probably helped me numerous times back in the 90's then haha, I used to play at Newbridge all the time and get all of my gear needs done there.  They've moved to Bethpage Ice Rink now and are in the process of taking over the pro shop in Dix Hills now.  I moved way out east but work in Hicksville and was so happy to see him around the corner when I started playing again, nothing like a familiar face.

i almost always used to wear my jerseys tucked - but it was due to me having very small shoulder pads - and in the non contact league i play in now its a padded shirt - so i have more 'flappy' jersey....

However since switching to a girdle i have nothing really to tuck it into - and cant say i have noticed it that much