Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canqingz

high end skates that are not made of curv composite shell

the stiffness form curv composite is great, but I am having trouble bending my knees in my x100 saktes. Are there high end skates on current market that provide good knee bend with all eyelets used? like x7.0 x90 etc?

I'd try either skipping the top eyelet or doing the top two eyelets looser (I usually tie the third from the top tight for heel lock and leave the top two very loose). If that doesn't work for you in your current skates and you want to move to another high end skate that naturally provides a bit more forward flex I'd consider the Easton Mako 2 or M8.

With Reebok skates, and with Bauer Flexlites, even though they weren't the stiffest of skates, I always skipped the top eyelet because I found them too high-cut and felt like casts. With VH skates that are cut around 1 eyelet lower, I can lace them to the top, and I imagine it would be the same with Easton Mako which I believe are also low-cut.

You can try loop locking the laces to get more forward flex while still lacing all the way to the top. I tried doing the top eyelet open with my Tacks but it never felt right so I tried loop locking the top and it felt great, I could flex forward better, but still had the ankle support I liked

You can also try lacing with some looseness in the middle of the boot. (If you have waxed laces it will work better.) You can try tight lacing on the first three eyelets from the toe box up, loose lacing in the next two or three, tight again over the talus/top of the instep for one or two eyelets. From there you should have just two or three eyelets left and you can lace those looser. You may not like it, but it could also work.

I'd add Graf to the list of brands to try as well.  Tend to be lower cut (less of a cast mentality), and at least in their MCI series, they supposedly have forward flex designed into the quarter of the boot.

I had same problem - x100 skates, too stiff, no forward flex, felt like I was skating on my heels all the time,  Tried numerous lacing patterns and skipping eyelets but never felt right.  Tried lace extenders from...

http://www.greatsaves.org/skate_lace_extenders.html

Huge difference - love the skates now.  You may want to give them a try - a lot cheaper than new skates.

+1 for the lace extenders. My apx2's gave me no forward flex and wicked lace bite, with lace extenders I have plenty of forward flex and no lace bite. I made my own lace extenders for a few $'s or you can purchase them online, without them I would not be in these skates.

I've had success when skipping the 2nd eyelet from the top, and lacing all the way up except for that one. Keeps the lateral support and stability but allows the front and back flex needed to bend my knees. 

Thank you guys for the input. You've been really helpful.

I tried Stryker's method, and it worked out perfectly for me.

I've had success when skipping the 2nd eyelet from the top, and lacing all the way up except for that one. Keeps the lateral support and stability but allows the front and back flex needed to bend my knees.

18 hours ago, canqingz said:

Thank you guys for the input. You've been really helpful.

I tried Stryker's method, and it worked out perfectly for me.

Glad to hear it!