Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FREQUENCY247

Bauer to Graf Profile Issues

So this is essentially my first post. Ive made a few comments here and there but never posted a question because I typically pride myself on being able to find the answers through reading and research from others but I need some opinions from more experienced players. 

Straight away, Im pretty new to the game, maybe 4 months of consistent playing 2 times a week. I started with a new pair of Bauer Vapor x500's but soon found out my foot had too much volume and I failed the pencil test miserably. The top of my foot was bulging out and causing some nasty lace bite. I suffered through until I could afford new skates. I settled on the Graf Supra 5035. Right off the bat, the boot itself is much more comfortable, I don't feel like the skate is trying to crush the life out of my foot. 

The problem is the blade profile or radius is completely different. Most say the Graf's are more forward aggressive, but Im finding I feel like my weight is actually further back giving me that feeling like Im on skis. My transitions from forward to backward are nearly impossible as I don't feel like I can get up on my toes and backward skating is rough at best. Turns are good to go, crossovers hold well, stride is improved. 

The Graf has an 11' and 1 step forward radius as opposed to the Bauer at 9' 1 step forward and I feel some of the problem lies with that difference, but Im wondering if this is just a case of getting used to it, or should I be looking to getting them profiled to closer to the Bauer cut? To be fair, I haven't given the new wheels much time, (3 skates), it just is such a  struggle right now. I play D and am a big guy, 6'2 230# so Im conflicted on keeping the 11' and stop being a baby about it and adapting, or cutting the new steel and sticking with what I know. Thoughts, opinions, and experience welcome. 

The Graf profile is flatter than the Vapor one.  So it should feel harder to get up on your toes.  The Grafs have less rocker under you. 

How long have you been on the Grafs?  I'm in the process of the same transition (Vapors to Graf 535), so I can understand some of the uncertainty/frustration. 

I'd say give it longer. I made the transition from first generation Bauer Vapors on Tuuk Custom+, so negative pitch and 9' radius, to Graf 705's and didn't know anything about the differences so I just went along with it. When I eventually had my "aha" moment in the Grafs though, I loved the longer radius.

2 hours ago, FREQUENCY247 said:

The problem is the blade profile or radius is completely different. Most say the Graf's are more forward aggressive, but Im finding I feel like my weight is actually further back giving me that feeling like Im on skis. My transitions from forward to backward are nearly impossible as I don't feel like I can get up on my toes and backward skating is rough at best. Turns are good to go, crossovers hold well, stride is improved. 

This paragraph stands out to me the most. It sounds like you're experiencing mixed results, with some aspects of your skating better or at least as good on the Grafs as the Bauers while others are worse, mostly your pivots. There are drills you can do, if you can find ice time where you can just put yourself through some paces, to try and train your muscle memory to the new positioning.

What really grabs my attention is where you say, "I feel like my weight is actually further back." When I'm on less pitch now, I really miss that feeling. Once you get used to it, it can be harnessed to sort of roll into your stride from the heel to the toe, which is really efficient, but not commonly taught and maybe even controversial to some schools of hockey skating technique.

Give it some more time. If after a few more months you really don't like the feeling, then you can always get the steel profiled.

Good insight. And thats absolutely correct, some areas of my skating are stronger than others so that is likely where the problems are compounding due to a new pitch. 

Ill give it a go and see if I can make the transition, I feel pretty confident I can its just going to take some drills and more time. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Update: 4 Skates in on them now, feeling like most of it was just getting used to the differences in blade profile. Im feeling more comfortable and actually correcting some bad habits I had picked up using the smaller radius. I feel like Im using more of the blade now which in turn feels more stable and less effort to produce power. 

Not sure Ive had the ah-ha moment yet, but its getting there. First game on them tonight so maybe a little trial by fire may be just the ticket.

Update: Ah ha moment arrived in last nights game. I have about 8 skates on them now and I love these skates. Really sad to hear about Graf Canada potentially closing as I may have finally found the perfect skate for me.

That's great :) they tend to be pretty durable and are already heavily discounted, you can probably pick up a couple of pairs that will last you awhile for very very cheap. I've had a pair of 501s for 8 years growing up, on ice almost every day, then a pair of 703s that I still use in beer league that look almost new and I've had them for 9 years now.

Maybe look into some higher end pairs like 735 or 8035/9035. I'd go with 735 tbh, I think that texalite boot might be more durable, if the durability of my 703s is any indication it'll easily last you a decade of beer league use.