Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shoot_the_goalie

Any way to make stick stiffer w/o altering length?

Wondering if there was any way to increase the stiffness of a stick without altering it's length.  I just want to increase my sticks about 2-3 flex points stiffer, but don't want to cut my stick down any more in length.

Is this possible?

5 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Cut it down and then put a wood plug in. Won't change much but maybe enough.

You are just as  likely to make it stiffer, as you are to make it more flexible. 

20 minutes ago, Chadd said:

You are just as  likely to make it stiffer, as you are to make it more flexible. 

I thought stiffer was the goal.

What about adding material to the stick?  Like those DIY carbon/fiberglass repair sheets?  I'd imagine that would stiffen it up.  By how much... that is another question, I'm hardly a composites engineer.  But if you are willing to experiment...

https://www.fiberfix.com/

18 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Cut it down and then put a wood plug in. Won't change much but maybe enough.

This.

Unless I'm lost in translation. If you increase the flex, aren't you making it more flexible? In that case, you'd have to lengthen it

18 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Strategic placement of some heat to the shaft will do the trick but it will also shorten the life of the stick.

Just realized I read "increase flex" as making the stick whippier.

Yea I had to read the original post a few times too. It was the "without cutting it down" that made me realise.

Looks like OP has edited his post to clarify, now. 

There was an interview with Kessel when he was on the Bruins, and he said he candy caned his stick to make it  slightly stiffer. He said the less space between tape, the stiffer it would get. 

I'm trying to think about how the physics of that would work, and it just doesn't make sense. 

-----

All the suggestions about adding material seem like it would make it feel like shit. 

8 minutes ago, start_today said:

There was an interview with Kessel when he was on the Bruins, and he said he candy caned his stick to make it  slightly stiffer. He said the less space between tape, the stiffer it would get. 

I'm trying to think about how the physics of that would work, and it just doesn't make sense. 

-----

All the suggestions about adding material seem like it would make it feel like shit. 

Never said it would perform the same.  ;) 

Simple, buy a stiffer flexed stick.

If retail: 77->87, 87->95, 95->102, 102->112

if pro stock, you'll find a variety of flexes (and lengths): 65, 70, 75, 77, 80, 82, 85, 87, 90, 92, 95, 97, 100...etc.

From my experience, you won't notice a 2-3 flex difference. It'll be at least a 7-10 flex difference before you'll really notice it (depending on brand/model, as some models play stiffer/softer than others rated at the same flex).

I think the tape idea could work, especially given you want a pretty small change in flex.  If regular stick tape doesn't do it, you could look at heavier duty tapes like the packaging tape that has a fiber glass reinforcement or something like Gorilla brand duct tape.

I used gaffers tape to candycane one of my sticks and I saw  enough of an increase in stiffness to like the stick again.

A foam filled structure is stiffer than one without foam and the weight increase is not too much.  You can try Great Stuff spray or a bigger gap filling spray if you want to minimize weight.

On 4/26/2016 at 1:28 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

You could insert a wood plug and cut it to 1/4" or so, it'll dampen the feel and stiffen the top end a little

The longer the part of the plug that goes in the stick, the more likely it is to stiffen the stick. 

Fibreglass packing tape is used by some players when they feel the shaft getting to whippy.