Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCATMAN

Cutting 6inch off a pro stock stick.. What can I expect??

Hi All, So I'm looking at getting some 65inch 85 flex pro stock Easton HTX sticks. I like my sticks short.. 58-59inch short.. So I would be looking to cut 6-7inch off these sticks. With retail sticks its not usually an issue for me because they are usually 59.5-61inch long. I'm 6'1, 250lbs and usually rock a 85 or 95 flex retail CCM, Bauer or True.

So I've got two questions..

1. If I cut 6-7 inch off this long stick, will I be "adding flex/stiffness" with each inch or is there an amount I can cut without it having a real effect on the feel of the stick? I ask this because of it's extended length.. Is it just added on without any further thought into the design of the stick?

2. If I cut 6-7 inch, does this effect the overall design of the stick flex point? Will it be higher because I've cut it down so much?

Thanks in advance

Ps I've been searching around on this for the last couple of days and couldn't find anything solid to refer to.. Seems to be a lot of varied opinions.

I know retail Warrior like the coverts have a 3 inch extension that does not affect the flex value if cut off, same thing thing with Sher-Wood for 4-5 inches. Yours is a pro stock, safe to say that its WTV the player requested, but retail Eastons do not have those features like Warrior and Sher-Wood.

An easy test would be to take your top hand and place it where you'd like to cut it and try to flex the stick. That'll give you an idea of how it would feel flex wise.

21 hours ago, mc88 said:

An easy test would be to take your top hand and place it where you'd like to cut it and try to flex the stick. That'll give you an idea of how it would feel flex wise.

I wish I could do that :( I'm looking to get them online so unfortunately I won't be able to do that flex test.

I'm thinking it might be a bit of a gamble and the stick will be too stiff after I cut it down. There seem to be mixed responses on how much flex increases as you cut it. Some say 5 points every inch but on the CCM scale (printed on the sticks) it says 1.5 point per inch.

I use a 95 flex CCM Tacks that's cut down 3inch and it feels pretty stiff, I also us a 95 flex True A5.2 cut down the same and it feels softer than the tacks. Then to throw it into the mix I've got a 85flex CCM 40K that's only cut 2inch and it feels the same as the True.. :blink:

If you cut the stick it will add flex. If the stick comes with an extended shaft (usually 4 inches) it is the flex that it is rated at but at retail length. For example if you have a Bauer 1X 87 flex with an extended shaft (4 inches) it will be an 87 flex once you cut the 4 inches off, much softer before you cut. 

Bauer retail sticks have a guide on the back side of the stick. 87 flex cut 2 inches makes it a 96 flex for example.

If you cut 6 inches off an 85/87 flex stick you're going to have a very stiff stick. Usually guys that cut a ton off their sticks start with a super low flex so that once they cut it the stick isn't a rock. 

If you cut a stick, it will get stiffer. How much stiffer will depending on a number of things, the most important being the kickpoint. I feel that the sticks with the same flex changes listed for sticks with different flex points are misleading, as there will be a very big difference between how two inches affects a mid kick versus a low kick stick. 

1 hour ago, Chadd said:

If you cut a stick, it will get stiffer. How much stiffer will depending on a number of things, the most important being the kickpoint. I feel that the sticks with the same flex changes listed for sticks with different flex points are misleading, as there will be a very big difference between how two inches affects a mid kick versus a low kick stick. 

All things equal, I would assume from this that cutting a stick with a mid-kick flex point would make it stiffer than cutting the same amount off a stick with a low-kick flex point?  Do I have that correct?

i bought more then 40 prostocks sticks in my life (yes i know, im going into rehab soon) with varying flexes and lengths and i can tell you that i really dont recommend cutting 6 or 7 inches off a stick because it will screw up your balance dramatically.  im the exact same height as you and i play with the exact same stick length as you.   i've had about 5 extended shafts and after cutting them 7 inches i couldnt use them at all.  My stickhandling was pitiful.  This has nothing to do with flex or kick point, which to me are relatively minor details...The overall balance in the structure of the stick itself is way more important.  To give you an idea, i had four 110 flex prostock Easton S19's of retail height, and i cut them about 2 inches...which gave them a pretty damn stiff flex rating, and i had no problem with the feel, balance, stickhandling or shooting.

Then i bought four other 100 flex prostock Eastons, of extended length, so i had to cut 7 inches and while i had no problem whatsoever with how stiff the flex on those sticks was ,i couldnt stickhandle to save my life.   i played many games with them but couldnt adjust.  i had to sell them all.  (and i thought i bought a model that i simply did not like at the time, so i did not identify the problem at that point)

then i  was lucky enough to buy an extended shaft Mako,  as well as a regular retail length Mako with otherwise similar specs at around the same time....  i cut the extended one to my regular length, and it felt horrible...so i thought...Jeez...another model of Easton that i dont like....then i reluctantly tried the retail length Mako, again cut it to my regular length, and immediately (first shift) fell in love with it and its been my favorite stick of all time ever since.  (i made thread about it on these forums).....and thats how i was finally able to pinpoint the problem :  The uncut length of your stick is a HUGE factor.

whenever i buy prostock twigs, i specifically make sure that the uncut stick is never more than 1 inch taller than retail.  to me its way way way more important than kick point or flexes in my opinion.

so, to summarize, take whatever i wrote with a grain of salt, because hockey sometimes is like music; different people have different tastes and different experiences.  But you should try maybe once with an extended shaft, cut it...see if you like it, and that shouldnt take a long time, you'll feel it right away...if not, sell it on ebay...it'll probably be due to the amount that you cut...and not the particular brand/model, kick point or flex.

i hope that helps!