Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

CCM QLT Shin Pads

First off, thanks SO much to JR, MSH and CCM for allowing me the opportunity to do this LTR.  

Background:  Playing experience is C,D and E adult league.  I play forward on one D division team and defense on an E division team. I am on the ice 2 to 3 times a week. As a level 4 USA coach I have served as head coach for pee-wee, bantam, middle school and junior varsity teams and as an assistant coach for varsity.  

Sizing: 5’10”, 213 pounds.  I have fairly large calves and in the past have had trouble finding shins where the straps get comfortably around.  I have always worn 15” shins and these are the same.

Past Shin Guards for Comparison:  I haven’t messed around with shins much…. I guess on some level it they aint broke don’t fix it!  I have been wearing Bauer One95s since they came out and been very happy with them.  I switched to them from a pair of top end Jofa pads because I had wanted a more anatomical fit.  I found both to be excellent in terms of protection and overall fit.  I prefer a deeper fitting pad and both fit that bill.

Initial Impressions: Well, there is nothing like coming home from vacation and seeing that box waiting for you!! 

IMG_5720_zpsxpe6meo3.jpg

Despite my exhaustion I tore right in an pulled them out of the box.  My first thought was “Man… these puppies are light!!!”  I know CCM really set the standard in protective weight and they have continued that with the GLT shins.  I am truly looking forward to seeing if I can really feel the weight difference on the ice.  As the LTR continues this is an area I will focus on.

The shins are, in my opinion, nice looking.  They have a grey and black motif and are nicely vented.  This is a new shell design for CCM and they did a nice job.  Nothing radical but the ribbing should work to deflect energy off of shots.  Of course we shall see. 

IMG_5721_zpsxquqcgwn.jpg

On thing I noticed that concerns me is that it’s a “plasticy” feeling pad.  Between the foams and extensive use of plastics – particularly the “vent shield,” I wonder if they will ever get that nice broken in feeling.  Only time will tell and hopefully my sweat will do the job!!

Features:  These pads are loaded with “tech” if you can call it that.  Primary is the use of “Zotefoam” around the knee and high density foams that feel like U+ on the wings and calves. 

IMG_5727_zpsekygsr5u.jpg

The strapping system is changed for this year and some that loved the prior strapping system on the RBZ might not love the change.  For me, though, its very similar to the One95 so I am pleased.  There is one wide strap around the calf and and a smaller “Wrap Lock" strap at the top below the knee. 

IMG_5730_zpsgzcaculy.jpg

Wrap Lock

IMG_0303_zpsufgqrn5z.jpeg

Wrap Lock Padding 

IMG_0701_zpsbbw2nisz.jpeg

Wide Calf Strap

The pads also feature a hinge between the knee and the lower shin.  Past pads have always just flexed there so this will be interesting.  I’m not quite sure what purpose this holds or if I will notice it.  I guess there is also a greater chance for breakage with a moving part.  Again… time will tell and that’s what LTRs are for.

IMG_5726_zps8ocyqrlj.jpg

IMG_5725_zpsqzk56fqa.jpg

Hinges Open and Closed

They also have a nice softer rubber bottom at the bottom of the shell to protect your skates. 

IMG_5724_zps9jh6z28v.jpg

The last key feature, and something I mentioned above, is something CCM is calling “vent shield.” 

IMG_5722_zpsq2g94ucs.jpg

Vent Shield

This is a piece of plastic over the outside leg wing and it has holes in it to let air through.  In theory its lightweight and protective and lets the air through so the pads dry quicker and don’t absorb moisture.  They felt gimmicky and plasticy to me but we shall see.  I work about break in and molding to my leg properly with this one. 

Hopefully I will get to try the pads for the first time tonight - I already missed 2 games due to illness but I plan to give it a try tonight.  Once I do get on the ice with them I will post with my first on ice impressions.

Again,  a HUGE thank you to JR, MSH and CCM for giving the me the opportunity to write this LTR.

So, that being said, here are my first on ice impressions.

Fit: The length of the the pads was perfect - an exact match to the Bauer's that I was previously wearing.  Width wise they were fine, perhaps a bit tight but I have pretty big legs and the padding still needs to break in.  I have to give this more time.  One thing I noticed when I first went to walk to the ice was that they pinched me up by the knees.  I didn't feel it when I played but I do need to see if that recurs.  I did find that the U+ foam padding above and to the side of the knee wasn't quite as moldable as the softer/denser padding on my Bauers.  This made them flap up a bit, even under my hockey socks.  I can't say they were exactly comfortable but they weren't bad either.  After about 7 years of wearing my other pads its hard to break in something new.  

Pad Geometry:  As stated above the pads are an anatomical fit and pretty much deliver on this promise.  I'm a broad guy and not really tall and I found out years ago that wide shins make me look like a giant soda machine.  These were trim enough so that I felt more mobile.  One thing that was interesting - and neither a positive nor a negative really - was that the ridge line running down the length of the pad promotes a rather deep V.  I have to assume this was on purpose as it might deflect the impact of a puck.  IN the game I played I was still pretty under the weather and wasn't skating very well so I never really got into position for a block so I cannot weigh in yet on this in practice.

Protection: Not much contact in the game for me.  I was in front of the net and perhaps the puck and some sticks caught me but I didn't feel anything so thats good.  This is the entire point of shins of course so more to follow as the LTR continues.

Pad Weight:  As described and predicted, very light.  Wasn't a big skating day for me due to illness but you can tell they are really light!

Durability;  No comment yet - first time out.

Other Notes:  The strapping system held the pads in place but I would have like a bit more play and length on the straps.  As usual they were short for me but as I said above I have big legs.  The padding on the "wrap strap" is pretty thick in the back of the knee.  The knee hinge was something I was interested in focusing on a bit but forgot to do it during the game (winning was more important to be honest).  When I got home I flexed my old Bauers and then the CCMs.  The Bauers are a 2 piece shell connected by softer materials and thus have far more flexibility than the CCMs with the hinge.  The hinge is fancy but actually reduces mobility.  Now, does that really matter?  I highly doubt it.  There is only a little need for flexibility at that point in a shin because the leg doesn't bend there.  Makes me wonder why all the fuss...

Next game - health depending - is Sunday night.  More to follow.

Since the last review I've hit the ice for a power skating clinic and a few more games. While I am not sure I am ready to give up Bauer One95s the QLTs are performing nicely in several areas.

Fit:  The straps keep the pads on nice and tight.  One minor issue I have with them is that recieveing Velcro tab on the calf is just wide enough for the strap and if you don’t align perfectly it gets caught on my socks. My Bauers have enough velcro to move the strap up or down to adjust as needed and I don’t have to pay extra attention when putting them on. The hinge which I commented on earlier is really a non factor at this point, I cannot even tell the difference when I am playing and skating and everything stays in place and is protected really well.  I would say the hinge is neither a selling point or a distracting feature.  Perhaps it eliminates a gap in coverage - which would clearly be a good thing - but I am not sure. 

Durability & Protection: Took some contact in the games, including a skate blade to the shin which applied a cut to the pad, that with a shot and a few slashes and I must say it is very protective. The cut in the pad is not extending any further as I have used it so thats good.  Cuts happen and the key for me is that they don't continue to get bigger.  CCM did it right with this material.  I have also noticed that my shins are not as sweaty after the games. I'm not sure if this is related to material or the vent shield but either way it seems cooler on my leg.  For many guys this alone makes the pad something to consider.

Pad Geometry:  Like I said, it has a distinct V to it.  I'm trying not to care - and truly I shouldn't - but I can't help it, I do.  This is most likely a personal preference kind of thing.

Overall:  Good solid pad and pretty much a win for CCM as they continue to produce really good protective.  I will probably go back to my One95s but thats just me being unwilling to adjust a bit to some minor fit differences and the geometry of the pads.  

UPDATE

The pads have been getting good use and continue to be very light and breathable.  This is their best quality.  I picked up another set of pads - CCM Ultra Tacks - and have been comparing them to each other.  CCM/RBK/Jofa has always, for me, typically been my go to for protective. Wearing the Ultra Tacks and then the QLT the difference is astounding.  While I like the fit, feel and geometry of the Ultra Tacks much more the weight and "cooling factor" of the QLT is massive improvement from them.  

One thing on the QLT...  took a hit from the behind (big nasty cross check in front of the net) and went down and when I hit the ice the shin shifted around on my leg.  That was disconcerting and I wonder what might happen protection wise as a result.  I can't tell if its a strapping issue, fit or the shape of the knee cap.  

QLT remains a solid, light weight and vey protective pad and a very solid player in this market segment.  I might start to shift more towards the Ultra Tacks... though heavier and hotter I loved the fit and shape of them.  Either way I'm keeping it in the CCM family for protective and sticks.