Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

CCM QLT Elbow Pads

Want to start by saying thank you to CCM, Modsquad, and JR for allowing me the opportunity to participate in this long-term review of the CCM QLT Elbow Pads.

Reviewer Background:

5'8", 160 lbs - played ACHA club in college and now am a beer leaguer. Worked in a hockey store during college so I have messed around a lot with gear and become very particular.

Previously Worn:

Reebok 7K elbow pads (two different generations) and Jofa before that

First Impression:

• As you can imagine, VERY light...was very impressed with the weight (or lack thereof) 
  • Build quality feels high. When I look at hockey gear, my eyes immediately wander to thinking "how are these going to break down?" The QLT elbow pads use high quality materials and are free of "extras" that will break. Stitching is tight and adequate
  • Fit - just trying on before playing seem nice. Wrap nicely around the bicep and forearm without being bulky. Move nicely with the arm and not restrictive. The elbow cup does not feel as deep as my previous Reebok's and Jofa's (which is why I always loved them for their fit and lack of movement when playing)

Overall very impressed with the weight, build quality, and fit out of the box. I will be providing feedback y while commenting on fit, protection, and durability.

See pictures below:

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to provide an update after wearing the elbow pads quite a few of times:

Fit – 9/10

• Elbow pads have been my gear that I really don’t mess around with compared with other pieces of equipment. I have always worn pro-style Jofa / Reebok elbow pads. I am comfortable with the deep elbow fit that protect and really don’t move. I was curious to see how I would feel about these going to a more modern technology and different fit.

Any fears I had were very quickly relieved. The elbow pads wrap my bicep and forearm and with the three Velcro attachments as shown in the pictures. I have full range of movement out of the box with literally not break in time. In addition, and most important, I had no pad movement or slide.

I am wearing a senior medium and the pad length is appropriate and comfortable; they come down to my mid-forearm, leaving a small gap with my gloves (Bauer Vapor X100) and go a little more than mid-way up my bicep with a small overlap with my shoulder pads (CCM 4052).

Protection – 9/10

·         These pads are light and streamlined. What that usually means is a loss in protection. While wearing these I have taken a few slashes across the forearm and the Zotefoam did a great job protecting me leaving no marks. I also took an awkward tumble and fell directly on my elbow and was very pleasantly surprised that both the pad stayed completely in place but also that the cup had a great layer of protection. It was one of those moments as I was falling I thought ‘this could be bad’ and I literally had no issues and no pain. Very impressed. I just play men’s league and drop in now and these are going to be more than adequate.

Weight – 10/10

·         As the name indicates, these pads are very light. The weight when combined with the mobility and the lack of movement and I do not even notice I am wearing these elbow pads.

Durability – N/A

·         I have worn these pads probably 8-10 times now with no issues and no early signs of breakdown or potential pain points. Will keep updating

Overall – 9/10

·         All things considered, I am a huge fan of these elbow pads and would highly recommend them. I don’t think of elbow pads as ‘sexy’ category as you want something that protects and doesn’t get in the way. These accomplish just that while adding a very good aesthetic. The CCM QLT elbow pads are very light and provide a great fit with wide range of motion. I can see myself wearing these pads for a number of years.

Please feel free to reach out and ask questions. I will also be posting more updates over time.

I wanted to give another update...I have been using these elbow pads full time since early May (nearly 2.5 months) and I am on the ice for maybe 4 hours a week. 

There was no break in necessary with these as they were comfortable and flexible out of the box. The QLT elbows have been my most protective elbow pads I have ever had and I am very pleased with how they stay in place. They don't move while playing and are a nice size in the way they fit with my shoulder pads (CCM 4052) and gloves (Bauer Vapor X100).

Having worn them for a while now I am very pleased with the build quality and durability and would feel very comfortable recommending them to anyone in the need for new elbow pads. Please let me know if you have any questions.