Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

21 hours ago, Stephen7 said:

It's hard to nail down a lie since it's very rockered but here's a few photos next to a BC92 lie 6. I clamped 2 sticks together to try and keep consistency.

v8tMCWp.jpg

t8U0vqT.jpg

bkbbX6W.jpg

Thanks, looks like a similar lie to the BC10, but with more rocker.  It actually looks similar to your BC28 pattern with the slight heel kink. 

21 hours ago, Giraffe14 said:

It actually looks similar to your BC28 pattern with the slight heel kink. 

Kinda, think about if a BC28 was extended out, like a stretch limousine. Haha

The Kovalev is more mellow than BC28/ Kreps with more rocker on the heel and extended about 1"-1.5" the middle of the blade (flat part).

Edited by malcb33

Just catching up on the Kovalev/Perron news, great stuff. And perfect timing as I just installed my last brand new blade a few months ago from the run of 12 I had made in 2012. Mine are based on Perron's "1387G" pattern circa late 2011/early 2012, which has the slight heel kink as per the Kovalev pro "final"/FLA version. I picked up a Perron pro CCM 40K paint job recently and the lie feels a fraction flatter than my blades. I prefer mine, but beggars can't be choosers and whichever version goes into production I'll be a regular customer.

I can also provide a sample blade if needed, the one on the left/top here (the other blade seen is a Perron pro "1387F" variant):

bladecomparison.jpg

There's been some discussion of the Kovalchuk pro in this thread but little is known about its specs beyond a few broad suggestions: big toe curve, rockered toe for heel-up snap shots, and a low lie. I'm all for supporting this pattern into production if its lie is in fact lower than most of the other stuff out there. Does anyone have some Kovalchuk pros by chance? If you do and wouldn't mind supplying some more info for the community interested in its retail availability, please help those of us out who are hoping it'll check the right boxes. I want to vote for Kovalchuk, but I want to know exactly how it stands first.

The kovalchuk is indeed a big toe curve, a little too big IMO. The lie isn't that low at a 5 on the Easton scale, but slightly lower than a E28. It's fairly comparable to the E28 in how it plays, but I find has a deeper toe and is only very slightly open. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2016 at 1:24 PM, flip12 said:

There's been some discussion of the Kovalchuk pro in this thread but little is known about its specs beyond a few broad suggestions: big toe curve, rockered toe for heel-up snap shots, and a low lie. I'm all for supporting this pattern into production if its lie is in fact lower than most of the other stuff out there. Does anyone have some Kovalchuk pros by chance? If you do and wouldn't mind supplying some more info for the community interested in its retail availability, please help those of us out who are hoping it'll check the right boxes. I want to vote for Kovalchuk, but I want to know exactly how it stands first.

There is a photo of a Kovalchuk on the "BIG toe curve" thread, but it is from 2010.  Not sure if the link below goes to the post in question, it is on page 27 of the thread. 

• Like 1

I took that image and overlaid its Kovalchuk pro (green) with the Gionta and took another Kovalchuk pro (blue) and overlaid it with the original Kovalchuk pro. It does seem to match @malcb33's description. The blue Kovalchuk seems closer to the variant being floated as the possible BASE pattern. It looks to me like it's essentially the same blade face with just a different toe shape and toe height. It's a bit pixelated due to resizing to match the two different images, especially sensitive to longer, flatter curves, but it still gets the point across.

2ikbgc4.png

On 8/20/2016 at 6:06 PM, malcb33 said:

The kovalchuk is indeed a big toe curve, a little too big IMO. The lie isn't that low at a 5 on the Easton scale, but slightly lower than a E28. It's fairly comparable to the E28 in how it plays, but I find has a deeper toe and is only very slightly open. 

This is exactly why I'd love the Kovalchuk side by side with a PM9. The difference is slight, but it may just be enough that it turns me off from the pattern. The closed toe is a bonus for me. E28 is a good alternative to my ideal curve, maybe not quite as good an alternative as the Kovy. It might just do the trick.

• Like 2

I used the Kovalchuk pro variants for a few years. While I really like it, the curve definitely has it's downsides too. 

Personally I think the old Warrior Gionta is a much more user friendly version of the Kovlachuk pro, which I think would appeal to a wider user base. Between that and the Kreps/ E28 I think the demographic is covered.

Apparently Kovalchuk is using a E28 himself these days......

I'll see if I can post some pics of a Kreps and Kovalchuk pro side by side.

Edited by malcb33

That would be awesome @malcb33

I'd be happy with the Kreps, if only it were a little lower. If taking the E4/PM9 as the 5-lie standard, the Kreps isn't quite as low, even in its heel low lie area. I've noticed True and STX are labeling their Kreps as 5.5's. That seems more spot on. When I compared them in a shop to E4's and E6's, they were much closer to E6's, almost the same shape overall except for a pointier toe.

I've seen some Kovalchuk pros on prostockhockey that look a lot like the old Warrior Smyth, which was rumored to be his 1/2" legal curve from early in his NHL days. No doubt he's also been using Krepsified versions of his pattern, but has he actually been using standard Kreps too?

On July 26, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Stephen7 said:

Just letting everyone know that we are planning to do a similar program with the Kovalev/Perron Pro. If we can hit 24 OPS orders we plan to remold a blade into a short hosel tapered version. If 24 OPS (whether it be RH or LH) is hit we will release it in .520 tapered blades as well. 

@Stephen7

whats the official count at now? Is this project close to getting off the ground?

I never got an official count as most people were interested in blades only initially. I'd love to see Kovalev, Kovalchuck, Gionta and Coffey released. These patterns get a bit of chatter but a solid backing isn't there as of yet.

Is there a threshold for blade orders that could to met instead of the 24 OPS to trigger the release of one of these patterns?

5 hours ago, flip12 said:

Is there a threshold for blade orders that could to met instead of the 24 OPS to trigger the release of one of these patterns?

The neighborhood of 60-70 and we could release LH and RH versions. If I can get 50+ blades or a combination of blades and OPS that I think will put us close, I'll try and get this going.

• Like 2

Saw a Perron pro stock Ribcor at my LHS the other day and snapped some pics. Also put a Kreps twig next to it for comparison. Definitely an interesting curve!

IMG_20160827_164210_zps6z5cxelq.jpg

6985b70e-802b-499c-a77e-b78b57e78d27_zps

IMG_20160827_164049_zpsaf7zudf2.jpg

IMG_20160827_164014_zpsfd0ozmmg.jpg

IMG_20160827_165013_zps8uy8ce7p.jpg

IMG_20160827_165025_zpssd8to1ge.jpg

IMG_20160827_165047_zpscuouzxvj.jpg

IMG_20160827_165054_zpstjb5rzh7.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, times 10. In a little lower lie, on par with Easton E4. What they call a 5 on the E28 is closer to a 5.5: significantly higher than my Easton Malkin pros which are noticeably higher than the E4...I suspect they're similar to BASE's BC71: 5.25.

45 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Yes, times 10. In a little lower lie, on par with Easton E4. What they call a 5 on the E28 is closer to a 5.5: significantly higher than my Easton Malkin pros which are noticeably higher than the E4...I suspect they're similar to BASE's BC71: 5.25.

We offer it in what we label lie 5. I'm gathering feedback to see if whether lie 6 or 4 would get bigger interest. 

In addition, if the interest is still there we plan to move forward with Kovalev pro. For those who need information on this, reach out to me. Thanks everyone. Your support will hopefully bring more patterns to our database!

30 minutes ago, Stephen7 said:

We offer it in what we label lie 5. I'm gathering feedback to see if whether lie 6 or 4 would get bigger interest. 

Can you do a side by side shot with that and your lie-5 BM09? If it's close to that, then I'd be happy with the existing BC28. But if it's like the 28's I've seen from other manufacturers, they're not a 5 on the same scale as the E4/PM9 even though they're often labeled as 5's.

If it's labeled as a 4 and has a lie similar to the E4, then I'd happily go for that. I don't care what the number is as much as I do the actual geometry. 

10 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Can you do a side by side shot with that and your lie-5 BM09? If it's close to that, then I'd be happy with the existing BC28. But if it's like the 28's I've seen from other manufacturers, they're not a 5 on the same scale as the E4/PM9 even though they're often labeled as 5's.

If it's labeled as a 4 and has a lie similar to the E4, then I'd happily go for that. I don't care what the number is as much as I do the actual geometry. 

Our BC28 is supposed to be an exact clone of E28.

1 hour ago, Stephen7 said:

Our BC28 is supposed to be an exact clone of E28.

That's what I thought. In that case, definitely, something around what would be labeled a 4.

• Like 1