Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Awesome stuff...My only note for a Coffey blade is for the blades sole to be more radius/rocker than what the coffey typically has as it seems to be very flat on the bottom

• Like 1

Just letting everyone know that we are planning to do a similar program with the Kovalev/Perron Pro. If we can hit 24 OPS orders we plan to remold a blade into a short hosel tapered version. If 24 OPS (whether it be RH or LH) is hit we will release it in .520 tapered blades as well. We have our own sample Kovalev Pro on file which I will now post..

1FGmtrM.jpg

yDMnw8h.jpg

pYyISFX.jpg

Qg2DqLI.jpg

I have also been sent a sample photo from  JoeyJ0506 of a Kovelev Pro from his brief stint with the Penguins at the end of the 2011 season. Here are those samples..

wPS0mMm.jpg

4toAXv5.jpg

xzicfMf.jpg

As with our Shanahan program, this will only happen if there is enough support or interest. If this pattern is a success I will try and keep this type of program going and collect community input and try and bring it to retail. I'm available if anyone would like more information.

• Like 2

Nice! I really hope this works out.

Are we supposed to vote which pattern we like better (KOV1 or 2)? Is the only difference the slight heel kink on the KOV2 pattern? Have you got a picture of them side by side?

I would be interested in the kovy curve for sure. I like the blade in the first set of pics. Hard to tell, but as malcb33 said, it looks like the curve in the last pic has a slight  heel kink, which I am not a fan of. 

What lie is the first one? 5 (or 4.5) would be great!

Edited by Giraffe14
Forgot some stuff...

The Kovalevs I have play more like 5.25 to 5.5--slightly higher than the Warrior Gionta. The heel starts low, but it swoops up quick. A quarter to a third of the way from the heel to the toe, it's already above 5-5.25.

The Leinos I have play lower, like 4.5. That pattern's also more open.

What ever happened to the Kovalchuk pro curve? There was a video with Ronning talking about that one a couple of years back. I'd be into that if it got developed. 

• Like 1

I'd be interested in this as well - if interested I can supply a Perron pro blade from his Pgh days - I can post a picture or send a sample.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chuck said:

I'd be interested in this as well - if interested I can supply a Perron pro blade from his Pgh days - I can post a picture or send a sample.

Yes please post a sample. We can mold whatever version the community is in favor of.

10 hours ago, Giraffe14 said:

Hard to tell, but as malcb33 said, it looks like the curve in the last pic has a slight  heel kink, which I am not a fan of.

Joey has confirmed there is no kink. Must be an angle thing. I'll try and get another view.

2 hours ago, Stephen7 said:

Joey has confirmed there is no kink. Must be an angle thing. I'll try and get another view.

Cool, thanks. This curve looks awesome, especially if the lie is in the 5 range. 

Edited by Giraffe14
Damn phone.

5 hours ago, chuck said:

I've used half a dozen Perron sticks with a few different curves including a heel kink version, normal one (exactly like the top one Stephen posted but RH) a slightly bigger toe curve version and a mini Hossa version (more open). I'm pretty sure I have a few of the blades from the broken sticks still kicking around and will try to post a pic. 

The lie is tough to nail down due to the huge rocker but I found the Perrons played around a 5-5.25 Not sure if the actual Kovalev pros has a higher lie though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

The Kovalevs I have play more like 5.25 to 5.5--slightly higher than the Warrior Gionta. The heel starts low, but it swoops up quick. A quarter to a third of the way from the heel to the toe, it's already above 5-5.25.

What ever happened to the Kovalchuk pro curve? There was a video with Ronning talking about that one a couple of years back. I'd be into that if it got developed. 

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

Have you used the BC10?  Would be great if the lie of the kovy was a bit lower (or even the same) compared to that curve. 

The rocker on these makes it tough to compare without seeing them side by side in person.

I haven't used the BC10. I was intrigued by it until seeing the video comparing it to the Easton E4.

For me, the E4 is just about perfect. Any higher and I lose a lot of feel for the puck and I can't really operate without looking at it.

I do have an E4 here I can upload comparison shots with between the Kovalevs, Leinos and Gionta I have as well. But that'll have to wait until at least next week as I'm hella busy at the moment.

I originally got excited about Kovalev's pattern from reading about it and hearing it described as roughly a 5, since E4's were pretty much the only retail blade I could find that worked growing up, and that especially if I added a little toe curve to them. But, when I finally got my hands on a few, I realized they play more like 6's for me. I didn't think the rocker would matter as I like to handle the puck on the heel of the E4, with the toe pointed up, but the feeling of the Kovalev pro is quite a bit different: with a much shorter blade height at the heel, I feel like there isn't as much feedback from the puck when it's on the blade at that point. Although the pattern didn't work out for me as I had hoped, there are those who have found it and love it, so maybe you will too.

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

I haven't used the BC10. I was intrigued by it until seeing the video comparing it to the Easton E4.

For me, the E4 is just about perfect. Any higher and I lose a lot of feel for the puck and I can't really operate without looking at it.

I do have an E4 here I can upload comparison shots with between the Kovalevs, Leinos and Gionta I have as well. But that'll have to wait until at least next week as I'm hella busy at the moment.

I originally got excited about Kovalev's pattern from reading about it and hearing it described as roughly a 5, since E4's were pretty much the only retail blade I could find that worked growing up, and that especially if I added a little toe curve to them. But, when I finally got my hands on a few, I realized they play more like 6's for me. I didn't think the rocker would matter as I like to handle the puck on the heel of the E4, with the toe pointed up, but the feeling of the Kovalev pro is quite a bit different: with a much shorter blade height at the heel, I feel like there isn't as much feedback from the puck when it's on the blade at that point. Although the pattern didn't work out for me as I had hoped, there are those who have found it and love it, so maybe you will too.

Thanks for the response. I like the BC 10 because it has no heel kink, and has a rockered bottom. If it had a slightly lower rocker and was slightly less open, it would be the perfect curve for me. The pictures above give me hope. 

While the BC10 is listed as a 5 lie, it plays closer to a 6 to me, and lining it up along side a Bauer P92 lie 6, the lie is comparable between the two. 

I'll be receiving an actual sample tomorrow afternoon. I will post high quality photographs of what I have. I've been told the mold we have is from his last year in Florida.. his very last pattern.

On 7/27/2016 at 2:48 PM, Stephen7 said:

Yes please post a sample. We can mold whatever version the community is in favor of.

Here's two Perron's and some comparison pics with a True TC3. 

Perron (what I call his) "Big Toe" on the left and "regular" pattern on the right. I'm 99% sure the regular Perron pattern is the mirrored version of the KOV1 pic Stephen posted

IMG_0645_zpsckabdpl0.jpg

Perron regular on right, True TC3 on left

IMG_0646_zpsjpsjlqhf.jpg

TC3 on top, Perron on bottom

IMG_0644_zps4iqx07jn.jpg

My apologies about the picture orientation. Photobucket is being a pain in the a$$ 

Edited by malcb33

10 hours ago, malcb33 said:

Here's two Perron's and some comparison pics with a True TC3. 

Perron (what I call his) "Big Toe" on the top and "regular" pattern on the bottom. I'm 99% sure the regular Perron pattern is the mirrored version of the KOV1 pic Stephen posted

IMG_0645_zpsckabdpl0.jpg

Perron regular on left, True TC3 on right

IMG_0646_zpsjpsjlqhf.jpg

TC3 on bottom, Perron on top

IMG_0644_zps4iqx07jn.jpg

My apologies about the picture orientation. Photobucket is being a pain in the a$$ 

I'll post clear photos of what he used in his last season tomorrow afternoon.  I suspect everyone will be happy with what we choose. The Shanahan has exceeded expectations, and our relationship with kovalev goes back to his early years, until he retired. The pattern tweaked here and there but he generally came back to a standard and the shape and rocker never changed.

Here are 4 photos of our actual Kovalev pro that we produced in a long hosel .620 blade. This was used by Kovalev during his last year in Florida. The last photo is next to our BC92 (P92 clone).

QElNLdW.jpg

leb4aWj.jpg

SZX5943.jpg

mahofJw.jpg

Edited by Stephen7
  • Like 2

@Stephen7

at that angle I can't exactly but it looks very close (maybe a touch more open) to the regular Perron pattern, but flipped obviously. 

Would it be possible to take a pic from directly above the blade rather than looking down the shaft?

Here is a photo looking down from the  top. I mirrored it in photoshop to help visualize a RH version. It definitely looks different looking down from the top as opposed to looking down the shaft.

Hpxbzpz.jpg

• Like 3

Great pics, Stephen. Such a unique and beautiful pattern. I'm looking forward to trying it! The extreme rocker and length should be interesting, to say the least.

I was thrilled at how well the Shanahan project worked out, so hopefully we'll get the same level of success with this pattern (and many more in the future)! The more patterns we have available, the better.

• Like 2

Excellent pic! The square tiles really help give perspective as well.

That looks the same as the Perron heel kink pattern I had. It's only a slight heel kink and I liked the version a lot, second though to the big toe version.

• Like 1

It's hard to nail down a lie since it's very rockered but here's a few photos next to a BC92 lie 6. I clamped 2 sticks together to try and keep consistency.

v8tMCWp.jpg

t8U0vqT.jpg

bkbbX6W.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, malcb33 said:

Excellent pic! The square tiles really help give perspective as well.

That looks the same as the Perron heel kink pattern I had. It's only a slight heel kink and I liked the version a lot, second though to the big toe version.

Hey Malcolm,

is that "big toe" version as open or less open than the one pictured here?