Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
A2rhino

Tydan blades

Well I have no issue I will take orders. JR is right. The parent is US only. So it can be sold in Canada for now. If they manage to figure a way of getting the patent done in Canada it will be back to Jim at Tyden  still use Jim for custom blades with names and numbers kids love it. 

2 hours ago, jordanm said:

Unfortunately one LHS in Vancouver has informed me they won't order it in for fear of upsetting Bauer. 

The other reason is that Nash Sports, one of the main distributors of Step Steel in Canada (definitely the main distributor for Lower Mainland area) has been advised legally not to sell it.  A few of the shops around here are also regularly visited by Bauer/industry reps, so it's a bit touchy.

5 hours ago, jordanm said:

Unfortunately one LHS in Vancouver has informed me they won't order it in for fear of upsetting Bauer. 

I don' know well about the situation of power balance in north america though, I really felt as same when I heard about Bauer's default story on this forum. How Bauer is disliked by many people...

I've been using Step steel on my boots for these few years. I really like its V-Steel grade because I trust polished side face make good durability of the edges. But if I will have any chances to try Tydan Edge, also I'm interested in it. If I was a user of coating edges, perhaps I chose Tydan rather than Step.

I ordered a pair of V-Steel 263 for LSE holder on my local shop. Maybe it will be arrived on middle of next month.

7 hours ago, syinx said:

The other reason is that Nash Sports, one of the main distributors of Step Steel in Canada (definitely the main distributor for Lower Mainland area) has been advised legally not to sell it.  A few of the shops around here are also regularly visited by Bauer/industry reps, so it's a bit touchy.

Most likely because Ralph also has US accounts that he sells to; Nash is my (TH's) Step distributor.

7 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Well I have no issue I will take orders. JR is right. The parent is US only. So it can be sold in Canada for now. If they manage to figure a way of getting the patent done in Canada it will be back to Jim at Tyden  still use Jim for custom blades with names and numbers kids love it. 

It's funny though because I guess I never noticed it.  But I just happened to catch an Edge holder in the right light a couple of days ago and realized there wasn't a Canadian patent listed on the holder.  (It's on the rear tower on the inside edge, kinda where Graf lists holder size.)

• Like 1

On 5/28/2016 at 8:57 PM, A2rhino said:

Can these be bought for Bauer Edge holders in Sweden?  If so where?

So I'm subscribed to this thread, read all of the posts, and I'm still confused.

I emailed Jim at Tydan and he told me they are coating/retreating Bauer steel. I told him I was in the U.S.A. and he gave me his prices. So Tydan is not manufacturing steel for the Edge holders is the way I understand this.

What is all of the Step talk then?

I've never seen a runner for the Edge holder that wasn't originally manufactured by Bauer.

8 hours ago, 218hockey said:

So I'm subscribed to this thread, read all of the posts, and I'm still confused.

I emailed Jim at Tydan and he told me they are coating/retreating Bauer steel. I told him I was in the U.S.A. and he gave me his prices. So Tydan is not manufacturing steel for the Edge holders is the way I understand this.

What is all of the Step talk then?

I've never seen a runner for the Edge holder that wasn't originally manufactured by Bauer.

Step now makes Edge compatible steel, they cannot sell in the USA due to US patents. 

• Like 2

A couple guys in my repair shop did some research.  Bauer has a patent license on the Edge Holder in Canada, and it was granted about 4 months after the holders were introduced.  They will hold that patent for at least another decade.

10 hours ago, syinx said:

A couple guys in my repair shop did some research.  Bauer has a patent license on the Edge Holder in Canada, and it was granted about 4 months after the holders were introduced.  They will hold that patent for at least another decade.

Interesting.   You would think they would go for both sets of patents when they came out with it.  So it's interesting that Step is still allowed to manufacture.

I know virtually nothing about patent law, but I would think a patent on the holder would only stop others from selling a similar holder.  Runners are clearly not a part the holder, so would they not need a patent on the runner?

I still don't think it's going to matter. 

We thought that people would want to revert to LS2 when Edge came out so that they can keep Step. That didn't happen. 

I highly doubt many people will want to switch to a completely new holder at this point. 

• Like 4

Hey guys,

does anyone have any insights about the Tydan Blacksteel vs the STEP Blacksteel? A shop has told me that STEP has run out of Blacksteel and will not be available for the next 6-8 weeks and is asking me to consider Tydan Blacksteel instead.

Thanks,
Mark

On 12/30/2017 at 11:47 AM, salibandy said:

Hey guys,

does anyone have any insights about the Tydan Blacksteel vs the STEP Blacksteel? A shop has told me that STEP has run out of Blacksteel and will not be available for the next 6-8 weeks and is asking me to consider Tydan Blacksteel instead.

Thanks,
Mark

I'm interested In Tydan as well.  I think it's a good alternative. Lots of nhlers using it now. I want to give it a try if the prices are similar to step but am not willing to pay more. I've had a bad experience with the fit of the step blacksteel in my edge holders. The clicked from day one and never fit snug. Three my ls3 in there and it was snug with no clicks. At the end of the day subconsciously I feel the Bauer steels, even if inferior in quality, will always fit better than any other brands. 

I got 2 pairs of tydan black for 140 bucks off sidelineswap (pro player had 10 pairs and wanted to sell extras) I also have a pair of step steel black. They are very similar, I prefer the Tydans because of the profile I like more on both pairs but they are both very similar all around. 

Height is going to vary by steel size.  They are 10' but the shape of the steel is going to follow the OEM (so, a CCM steel looks like CCM, Bauer looks like LS3 - unlike Step, which has its own shape regardless of model.)

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Tydan steel from JR as part of the ProSharp project. They are noticeably better than Bauer factory steel in every way. I would estimate the Tydan blades hold an edge about 4x as long compared to the Bauer. If you're still using Bauer factory steel, I would consider the alternative for economics alone. The performance benefits are a bonus. The only small change I'd make in the Tydan would be to put a logo on at least one of the blades to make it easy to identify left/right blade if you switch out a lot.