Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Warrior QRL - dangles83

Thanks so much to JR and MSH for the chance to review this great stick from Warrior!

For reference, I am 6’0 170 using an 85 flex.

Men's A/B

Weight: Let’s start off with the easy one…the stick is LIGHT, but not too light where you feel like you have nothing in your hands. Sometimes with lightweight sticks, it feels as though one hard shot and that the shaft will explode into pieces. This stick manages to feel light, but play like a more beefy counterpart (so far).

Balance: I found the balance of the stick to be right on point. From top-to-bottom (literally) the balance of the stick was excellent; certainly not blade-heavy which I have experienced in some other top model sticks from other manufacturers. I think they have truly honed in on their true one-piece design.

Puck Feel: The puck feel of the QRL is very good; not too dampened, but not too pingy. The feel of the puck is one of the most important aspects of a good stick for me; it really dictates how the stick plays. In my first time out there, I was able to control the puck very well without having to look down to see where the puck sat on my blade. Receiving passes was very crisp with just the right amount of feedback. Often times blades may not have enough give and the puck tends to bounce on hard passes, but the QRL had just enough of a dampened feel to accept passes without the puck jumping.

Release: It took me a few shots to get used to how the stick loads, but once I dialed that in, the release was as advertised; the puck launches off the blade. I was able to get great load and pop while maintaining accuracy, which is obviously very important. I am more of a wrist/snapshot player, so I only took a few slappers, but to be honest, I have not got those on track yet. They weren’t coming off the blade the way I would have expected, but again, I think I just need to get used to how the stick loads for bigger wind-ups. Like I mentioned, I only had one game and don’t take many slapshots, so I just need to take a few more to become more comfortable. It is also important to note that the flex profile seemed true…in the past some Warrior models (e.g. Widow) played whippier than stated, but the QRL felt accurate.

Durability: Stay tuned as I play more games…

Overall impressions:

I REALLY like the QRL, it is certainly as advertised and feels really good in my hands. The quick-release with accuracy is definitely there and that is precisely what I was looking for in this stick. I have used all of the top of the line models to date and this is right up there near the top. I am looking forward to playing with this a few more times to build up my familiarity, before I would say it is the best of the bunch, but as of right now…this is certainly a top contender!

I will continue to update as I get more time with the QRL.

After 3 games played...

Weight/Balance: After the using the stick in a few more games, the weight and balance has been exceptional. After using most of the top-end manufacturer products out there, I can really appreciate how truly well-balanced the QRL is in comparison. The balance of the stick has been noticeable in many facets of my play; from stickhandling, to shooting, to defensive plays where one hand on the stick is used. A lot of the natural stick movements have felt effortless and yet, not fragile, if that makes sense. In other words, I don't feel like the stick is going to snap on me.

Puck Feel: The puck feel for me, as I stated in my first review, is very important. After my first three games, the blade still feels exactly the same. Pass reception and stickhandling have been terrific. I have had many other sticks where the blade begins to "go soft" after several games and lose it's pop. So far, the QRL is showing no signs of fading; I will keep you posted as I play more and more.

Release: The release on the QRL is exactly as they stated...Lightning Quick. It may sound a bit like a cliche, but the pop of this stick is something you have to experience for yourself. After playing with it a few more times, I have been able to really dial in on loading the stick and having the puck just jump off the blade. As stated previously, I mainly focus on wristshots and snapshots, and the QRL has been a true weapon for me out there. Being that I don't take many slapshots, I am slowly, but surely beginning to hone those in as well, albeit they are not there just yet. I think I will need a few more games, but I am confident that I can get those flying as well. 

Durability: Ok, not that three game is a lot, but it has been holding up flawlessly. Other than some cosmetic blemishes, the stick's integrity is completely solid. I definitely got a bit nervous in my last game as I took a bomb directly off the shaft of my stick, but after a few quick flexes of the stick, I realized that it was perfectly fine. I have had MANY sticks break due to that exact same scenario; standing in the slot and having a slapshot go right off the mid-shaft, but the QRL brushed it off like it was nothing. Since I am a center, the other area that tends to take a beating on my sticks is the toe, but so far, no signs of wear whatsoever. So far, so good!

Overall impressions:

Still loving this stick! It has been awesome! The ONLY gripe I have with the QRL, and this has been consistent for all the Warrior sticks I have had, is that the butt-end always falls out so easily on me. It often pops out in the middle of games. If this is my only gripe, it's a HUGE win ;o) I will continue to send more updates as I continue to use the stick. Let me know if you have any questions as I would be happy to help out.