Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Blackhawks finally dump Bickell, lose Tuevo in the process

Nice to see the Hawks finally dump the contract that they never should have signed in the first place. It really sucks to see them have to give up Tuevo in order to get someone to take the bad contract off their hands. Without the Bickell deal on the books, I believe that they may very well have won another cup along the way. 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16229921/carolina-hurricanes-acquire-teuvo-teravainen-bryan-bickell-chicago-blackhawks

Wouldn't say it's Bickell's fault. Just another bad decision by Bowman. I think they'll have to trade Crawford at some point, unless they don't resign Shaw (which they shouldn't, they don't have enough space and they have Hartman).

Should build around Toews/Kane and Anisimov/Panarin on offense, and Seabrook/Keith/Hjalmarsson on defense. If they can find someone to take Hossa in a year, they should be able to keep TVR from being claimed in the expansion draft. IF things start to decline the first players that would go would be Seabrook and Anisimov from that point. 

On 6/16/2016 at 10:58 PM, Bbd94 said:

Wouldn't say it's Bickell's fault. Just another bad decision by Bowman. I think they'll have to trade Crawford at some point, unless they don't resign Shaw (which they shouldn't, they don't have enough space and they have Hartman).

Should build around Toews/Kane and Anisimov/Panarin on offense, and Seabrook/Keith/Hjalmarsson on defense. If they can find someone to take Hossa in a year, they should be able to keep TVR from being claimed in the expansion draft. IF things start to decline the first players that would go would be Seabrook and Anisimov from that point. 

Oh, it's all on Stan. A lot of people were pretty vocal about it being a bad deal and it turns out that we were right.

Anisimov is the easiest to replace, Shaw would have been fine in that role this year. The lack of internal development and trading of young players is really starting to catch up with the Hawks. If they can continue to sign entry level free agents from college and Europe, they can continue to mask the problem a bit longer. However, those guys are unlikely to be true top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen. I thought the Crawford contract was another mistake by Stan. Way too many dollars for a guy that had been inconsistent to that point. If his money was spent on the defense, I think they would be better off. 

They have been making a lot of bad decisions. Not to mention trading away a lot of future draft picks. At least they got a couple back. I still don't think they can make up for the players they've lost in the past year or so. Not any time soon at least. 

On June 17, 2016 at 2:06 PM, chippa13 said:

Nobody was saying it was Bickell's fault. Bad contracts are usually hung on the team and certain agents who for some reason GMs always cave to.

.. A lot of people are wanting to burn Bickell at the stake, especially Hawks fans. They're upset he cost the team "an actually good player".

Look at Brooks Laich with Washington. Did I hate him sometimes because of the contract? Yes. But I understand that's a mistake. I would take him on a 1 million or so contract but not the one he signed with McPhee for 4.5..  

Some GMs set a player up for failure, and some players get complacent. And yeah I do agree, Hawks have really poor drafting IMO as of late. It's almost ever since Tallon left. They have Hartman coming up but who else? They signed Kempny and will probably sign Shipachyov next season to mask the problem.