Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
slosole16

Recommended skates for Flat Feet?

Hey all,

I am experiencing severe pain a little behind mid-foot while on my ice skates. I have Graf Supra G535S that I bought online which are 7W (I wear 8's in tennis shoes). The skates have been baked twice, and the laces are supremely loose except the top two holes for ankle support. I am extremely flat footed and have no arch whatsoever. Right now, Graf low arch inserts are in the skates. I can't skate for more than 5-10 minutes without pain affecting everything I do on the ice. I'm a roller hockey player that is just getting in to ice (at 34 years old no less) and have a big charity ice hockey game in August. Should I buy new skates? If so, what do you all suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Graf is a boot that pitches you well forward onto the ball of your foot, if you have never skated like this before the mid pain can be because your muscles are getting tortured in a brand new way as you skate, pitched forward and rolling in the boot. What inline skates are you in and what have you done to those (if anything) if you are skating in them comfortably? Then maybe consider an ice boot that follows a similar design for shape and volume.

Alternatively (and this may be required for any boot you buy) consider trying to fill the negative space in the boot by using a half foot shoe insole (which will also help to counter the forward pitch in a Graf). You don't want a full length insole because this risks lifting the heel out of the pocket, a half one may help to raise your foot enough so that the boot can wrap around it when you tie your laces up and this will help to stabilise your foot in the boot. 

Get skates properly fit to your foot profile by a proper fitter, and have them accommodate your flat feet with Superfeet or other corrective insoles. 

It's what I've done, and many others before me. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Graf is a boot that pitches you well forward onto the ball of your foot, if you have never skated like this before the mid pain can be because your muscles are getting tortured in a brand new way as you skate, pitched forward and rolling in the boot. What inline skates are you in and what have you done to those (if anything) if you are skating in them comfortably? Then maybe consider an ice boot that follows a similar design for shape and volume.

Alternatively (and this may be required for any boot you buy) consider trying to fill the negative space in the boot by using a half foot shoe insole (which will also help to counter the forward pitch in a Graf). You don't want a full length insole because this risks lifting the heel out of the pocket, a half one may help to raise your foot enough so that the boot can wrap around it when you tie your laces up and this will help to stabilise your foot in the boot. 

I have Bauer X40Rs for roller hockey. The boot isn't laced tightly at all, and I have Dr. Scholl's inserts in them. I have completely loosened my Graf's as well, and have their (LOW) SIDAS inserts in them currently. Still experiencing a lot of pain in the foot with these. I have been looking at CCM RibCores as well, but plan on going to one of my local skate shops early this week to get properly fitted.

18 hours ago, syinx said:

Get skates properly fit to your foot profile by a proper fitter, and have them accommodate your flat feet with Superfeet or other corrective insoles. 

It's what I've done, and many others before me. 

From what I've heard (and my own personal experience), Superfeet isn't a viable option for a lot of people with flat feet. I would look into a custom orthotic first and then try and fit a pair of skates, not vice versa.

Edited by Bbd94

I have custom orthotics for my work boots, but because I am in the Navy and dealing with government health care, it takes quite a bit of time to get my hands on more. I appreciate all of your help.

Not unless you go the custom route with VH, and for you I'd suggest making a foot mold and sending this to them for them to build the boot around it.

5 hours ago, Bbd94 said:

From what I've heard (and my own personal experience), Superfeet isn't a viable option for a lot of people with flat feet. I would look into a custom orthotic first and then try and fit a pair of skates, not vice versa.

3 hours ago, slosole16 said:

I have custom orthotics for my work boots, but because I am in the Navy and dealing with government health care, it takes quite a bit of time to get my hands on more. I appreciate all of your help.

I myself have flat feet - even worse, a flexible arch that moves between low arch and flat feet depending on stance.  Mako skates did wonders for me, and I currently use low-arch Superfeet Black and Superfeet Carbon insoles.  I would recommend checking out the Mako skates if you can find them in stock in your size.

I've also known some teammates with flat feet to use Superfeet Yellow insoles, as well as the Graf SIDAS custom insoles.  Beyond that, it's VH skates, as mentioned above.

I'll repeat myself: Get your foot shape and volume fit sorted out first, and then address each problem by modifying the skate to your liking.  Lace your skates snug/loose in the forefoot to midfoot area - you don't want to compress and already flat arch, then crank them at the top for lateral support, as a skate that fully supports your foot can reduce any other issues caused from a shifting or collapsing foot.

5 hours ago, Bbd94 said:

Maybe Bauer Speed Plates? Much more economical than custom orthotics. Might be a good place to start

30 minutes ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Maybe Bauer Speed Plates? Much more economical than custom orthotics. Might be a good place to start

From past experience with customers, the Speed Plates aren't spectacular with those with flat feet.  Furthermore, the tech in them isn't all too spectacular in themselves.  If the custom route is where he'd want to go, the best option at the same price point would be the Graf Conformables.

Awesome, thanks for everything guys. To say the least, I appreciate all the excellent feedback here. I visited my not-so-local hockey shop (it was an hour and a half away), got properly fitted, found out my skates were a size and a half too big, and tried on a few pairs. Ended up going with Bauer Supreme S170s that were very comfortable with the stock insoles in there. I went ahead and bought superfeet yellows as my fitter highly suggested for my foot type. Again, thank you very much for all of your help.

I just saw this and came by to say I have flat feet and found my relief in Bauer Supremes (170s from a few years ago, just bought new 180s last week), and with a pair of Superfeet I've never felt better. Then I saw your last post... haha. If you never wear anything with arches, the Superfeet can make them sore for a while (as happened to me) but since it sounds like you do wear insoles in other shoes, you might not have any issues at all. If nothing else, maybe this will give you an extra vote of confidence pulling those S170s on...

7 minutes ago, slosole16 said:

Awesome, thanks for everything guys. To say the least, I appreciate all the excellent feedback here. I visited my not-so-local hockey shop (it was an hour and a half away), got properly fitted, found out my skates were a size and a half too big, and tried on a few pairs. Ended up going with Bauer Supreme S170s that were very comfortable with the stock insoles in there. I went ahead and bought superfeet yellows as my fitter highly suggested for my foot type. Again, thank you very much for all of your help.

I have several posts on this topic (i.e. superfeet and flat feet) in various threads.   I think the general argument that Superfeet are good for pronation and/or flat feet is misguided.  I have pronation issues myself, but more to your point, my son has VERY flat feet, with hyperlaxity (i.e. flexible arch).  Over the years, I tried many different insoles, including superfeet, and they all made him miserable.  For the past 3 years, he has been in Vapors (that fit his foot shape and volume), with the stock minimal footbed and no complaints.  This past week, we just got him a pair of Makos and slapped on TUUK holders and use the stock footbeds, and again, no complaints, he loves them.  My point is, don't try superfeet and force yourself to like them thinking they should.  The most important thing is skate fit and appropriate shape.  Then, if you have flat feet, you may not want any arch support at all.  Skating is not walking or running, therefore the biomechanical issues related to low arches are much different.  Superfeet are designed for heel stabilization, not arch support and you may be miserable in them.  If you are, try the stock footbeds and you may be fine.  if so, the Superfeet can go back for a refund.  If you like them, great.  Just don't try to force yourself to like them, because you think you should. 

5 hours ago, slosole16 said:

I've had that problem too.  My first ever pair of skates were 1.5 sizes over and holy hell my feet hurt.

On 6/21/2016 at 11:47 AM, slosole16 said:

What size are your inlines compared to the 170's? I'm assuming you purchased the Graf with some reference to your inline size and if the Graf was that far out in size then how far out are your inlines?

I have extremely flat feet and almost everything except my reebok inline skates hurt like hell. I just bought a pair of Bauer Supreme 180 ice skates with ccm low arch inserts. Going to stand on them in the house and see if they would be OK. Any other suggestions for skates? I wear a skate 9.5 E and everyone seems to be out of stock on the Bauer Nexus in that line so I can't even try them to compare. 

5 hours ago, nyrmetros said:

I have extremely flat feet and almost everything except my reebok inline skates hurt like hell. I just bought a pair of Bauer Supreme 180 ice skates with ccm low arch inserts. Going to stand on them in the house and see if they would be OK. Any other suggestions for skates? I wear a skate 9.5 E and everyone seems to be out of stock on the Bauer Nexus in that line so I can't even try them to compare. 

In terms of arches, from my experience, the Nexus and Supremes are quite similar. I really don't have much of an arch, and when I was last shopping for skates, these were the two skates I narrowed it down to. The differences is that the Nexus has more volume, so more space in the toe box, the fore foot, and the heel. If the Supremes work for you, you're not missing anything with the Nexus.

Also, if I were to guess, CCM Tacks won't work for you. When I tried them on, it was like my arches were sitting on top of pyramids. I didn't even have to tie them up to know they weren't for me.

I unfortunately still have not found a pair of ice skates that don't hurt my flat feet.... I've tried everything outside of custom skates...... Any ideas? Thinking of converting an old pair of Reebok inline hockey skates into ice. They are the only skates that don't hurt me. 

You will probably need to be in an "EE" width skate to account for the flat feet and/or low arch.  That's been my solution for quite some time.  Most skates (and shoes) have a narrow "pathway" on the bottom of the sole from the heel to the toes to give arch support, which is exactly what ends up killing my feet.  At least for me, the wide widths allow my foot to "lay" stable and lower on the footbed, which alleviates the pain of a crushed or overly supported arch.  The trick is to find something wide enough along the sides but narrow enough in the heel to prevent heel lift.  This is why I used to love the pump in Reebok skates.  It allowed me use wide widths and not worry about my heels staying locked in.  I now use a pair of stock Bauer Vapor 2X pro in EE width, which fit pretty much perfect.  This is my first pair of Vapors ever.  The Jetspeed FT1 and FT2 wide width fit pretty well also.  For background, I was in multiple pairs of Reebok 20K's for over 10 years, Graf before that, and a mix of CCM Tacks and Bauer Supremes growing up.  I'm in no way loyal or a fanboy of any one single brand (except Tackla pants for life!)

Superfeet black are definitely an option, but yellow will almost certainly not work due to their high arch support.  I have not tried any of the other models/colors.  I use the stock insole in the Vapors, which seem to work better for me than Superfeet black, as I have tried both.  

To those who would suggest True skates - they were absolutely miserable for my feet.  I went through 3 pairs of trial and massive error.  The initial pair had 1 skate which fit well (not great).  The other skate was much much much too narrow and killed my arch.  The one skate that fit well had absolutely terrible quality control however, and would've needed to be remade anyway (missed stitching, glue everywhere, liner already separating).  With the second/rebuilt pair, both feet were in excruciating pain right from the start, throughout and after baking, and were again way too narrow and crushed my arch.  I did a complete re-scan, foot tracing, sent in copious notes and pictures for what would be the 3rd pair - same result as the 2nd pair.  Got a full refund and called it a day with True.  I believe the main reason for this is that if you look at the bottom or a True skate, it is not a flat surface.  It is molded and contoured - supposedly to your foot.  In my case apparently it was not contoured to allow to foot lay flat (enough?) and ended up killing my arch.  I really wanted to love them, but there is no way they could've worked.  They were the most painful thing I've ever had on my foot.  I took pictures of my foot arch area which was completely red, inflamed, and in obvious discomfort after the baking process.  The fitter and people at Pure Hockey were witness to all this and in the end the stock Vapors are working great now.  Your mileage may vary, and Trues may be perfect for you.  They obviously work extremely well for others.  I will say the quality control on all the skates other than the first pair was top notch.  The first pair should have never made it out of the factory however.  They were an embarrassment, especially for $1000 skates.

I cannot recommend enough having a knowledgeable fitter at a local shop guide you through the process if at all possible.  It will save you a ton of time and money.  If your current skates are as uncomfortable as you suggest, I doubt anything will make them usable.  Sell them and get something that fits.