Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

CCM Super Tacks Skate Initial Thoughts

9 hours ago, McDougalfaschnitzer said:

I'm interested in trying these out but the graphics package isn't really doing it for me.

But Dougie - they are Black and Yellow, gotta rep the MSH colours! :cool:

• Like 3

Had my first skate last night with new super tacks. Wow. I was probably mis-fit into 1X 8D as it was, as my forefoot/big toe were taking a beating on the stitching of bauer's toecap. Its funny how some things can feel so good while in the store and after a few months begin to cause you physical pain. Huge difference in terms of forefoot space and toecap - toe interaction with an 8d super tacks. With the super tacks, while i have an instep issue using the stock insole, were otherworldly in terms of footspeed and power transfer. Going to put my speedplates into my supertacks and give that a whirl. But as of now, pretty happy I snagged a demo pair for 300$ off retail. 

• Like 1

On June 24, 2016 at 11:20 PM, kovalchuk71 said:

Not as wide, MUCH narrower heel pocket. The heel pocket width is on par now with the Jetspeed, which I would say is equal to the Vapor ( "A" width heel). 

I'm wearing a 6.5D in first generation Tacks which fit me great, since I have a narrow heel but wide forefoot.  So would trying on a 7D make sense in Super Tacks?

11 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I'm wearing a 6.5D in first generation Tacks which fit me great, since I have a narrow heel but wide forefoot.  So would trying on a 7D make sense in Super Tacks?

Yes. That's what I would try first. 

Well i've worn the super tacks now for about 5 games now. The skate itself is fantastic, very responsive and light. My only problem has been on the instep of my right foot, are there any insoles on the market that are as thin as the stock insole that supports a higher arch? I've tried my speed plates from my 1x's and that felt incredibly weird as well as my custom orthotics (for shoes, felt like wearing high heels) . Any help would be appreciated

Sorry, a bit late with all that has been happening as of late -

Got the skates a couple of days before I had to go to Columbus, OH for a business trip, and so the first time I skated on them was at SummerJam.

These skates have felt nothing like any other CCM skate I've ever worn.  

The left skate was absolutely perfect.  The right skate, however, started to develop a bit of arch pain in them.  But I did not lace them up myself (thanks, @mojo122) so the lacing wasn't the same as the left.  I had difficulty getting dressed in the locker room and sadly enough, had to require help lacing and then unlacing my skates when I was done.  The injury that I sustained during Winterfest simply hasn't gotten better.

I think I skated for an hour on them.  

8 hours ago, Thirdlineplug said:

Well i've worn the super tacks now for about 5 games now. The skate itself is fantastic, very responsive and light. My only problem has been on the instep of my right foot, are there any insoles on the market that are as thin as the stock insole that supports a higher arch? I've tried my speed plates from my 1x's and that felt incredibly weird as well as my custom orthotics (for shoes, felt like wearing high heels) . Any help would be appreciated

Did you reheat the speed plates to mold better to the super tacks?

I finally got mine baked yesterday and am gonna use them for pickup tonight.  Quick question - I cut the enclosed CCM custom insoles down to size and put them in but (to me) they add too much volume to the boot, which is already pretty shallow for me as it is.  Is it recommended/encouraged to use the stock insole or is that just there essentially as a placeholder for the CCM custom ones that they come with?  I would prefer to use something a little more stable than the stock, but again, volume would be an issue.  I was thinking about trying Superfeet but am thinking they would add just as much volume as the CCM custom insoles.  Thoughts/advice would be appreciated :)

Edited by Fletch

Skate with the custom insole and see how that goes.  Even if it takes up some volume it doesn't necessarily mean that it will cause you problems.  The yellow foam provides no support at all so I wouldn't skate on it long term.  If the custom causes you issues over time then look into something supportive that is low profile, such as the carbon SuperFeet or SpeedPlate.

Have not re baked speedplates for fitting into tacks, I am possibly selling my 1x's so the speedplates will go with them, but i suppose that is the fix i need as they fill the negative space and take up very little elsewhere

I have to add that though I have not skated in them yet, these skates are the most comfortable out-of-the-box skates I have ever tried on... they really do feel great and after baking them, they felt even better.  I have had 3 reconstructive foot surgeries due to flat feet/fallen arches and my frankenfeet aren't exactly the easiest feet to impress ;)

I will know more after tonight but so far, so good.

First skate went well, it's like night and day from my NBH One95's, especially when turning.  I do have a couple hot spots that I need to address tomorrow at monkey.  

These skates can be punched, right?  I need to do it to each instep, right where the bone hits.   Also, I'm probably going to bake them one more time. Should I bake then punch or punch then bake? 

Edited by Fletch

Bake then punch unless you over punch. Every time you bake the boot material has a tendency to return to its original state hence you lose some of the punch.

On July 28, 2016 at 0:39 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

These skates have felt nothing like any other CCM skate I've ever worn.  

JR, You say they don't feel like any other CCM skate. Is there some other skate you would compare them to? What about the feel/experience makes them so different from other CCMs?

Really liking these new skates and the tech that comes with them.

Currently have the Supreme 190 and although they fit well/snug (size 8D) and have a bit of rubbing on the front part of my ankles (red circle in pic) I'm always looking for something better :)

Would these be much wider than the Supremes?  And would it solve the rubbing on the front of my ankles?

foot%252520pain.png

Edited by tcc

After 4 skates, 2 bakes and 2 punches on my Super Tacks, I've now at the point where they feel perfect on my (franken)feet.  These are honestly the best skates I've ever owned and it's not even close.  The funny thing is that the volume is so volatile (for me), that even a change in socks made a huge difference.  The magic formula for me was Superfeet Carbon and Warrior skate socks, the non-cut resistant ones.  

Also, it's worth noting that waxed laces basically don't work at all with these skates (again, for me).  I tried it before one of my skates and was almost unable to even lace them up due to how stiff the boot is and how little room in the top there was. 

• Like 2

I just picked mine up yesterday. Fit wise they're perfect, I'm coming from pro stock APX that were 7 3/4 and the 7.5 SuperTacks fit a little bit more snug but not enough to warrant a half size jump. I was a little worried about the depth of the boot but after baking them the skate wrapped really well around my foot that the depth is not a concern. No hotspots or areas of discomfort to speak of, my only gripe would be with the footbed or cut out piece of memory foam they're calling a footbed. I'm going to use my custom Superfeet to see how they feel but ideally I think the Bauer Speedplate might the ideal pairing with these skates.

When I tried the Superfeet at Summerjam the only issue I had was with the holder and footbeds. Luckily I have an extra set of light speed holders I am going to throw on next week but in the mean time I'll give the CCM holder a whirl. 

Seccond in with Super Tacks, got 272 Lightspeed Edge holders put on and all is right in the world. Also added SuoerFeet Carbon insoles, didn't notice them which I guess is a good thing but also didn't notice any profound improvement, still a step up from the stock memory foam insole. 

The most noticeable thing was post skate, very warm rink and we skated for a good 1.5 hours and the liner on the skates weren't even the slightest bit wet or damp. Very impressed considering how hot the rink was and the amount of sweat.

w1wx6v.jpg

• Like 9

14 hours ago, the_game said:

Seccond in with Super Tacks, got 272 Lightspeed Edge holders put on and all is right in the world. Also added SuoerFeet Carbon insoles, didn't notice them which I guess is a good thing but also didn't notice any profound improvement, still a step up from the stock memory foam insole. 

The most noticeable thing was post skate, very warm rink and we skated for a good 1.5 hours and the liner on the skates weren't even the slightest bit wet or damp. Very impressed considering how hot the rink was and the amount of sweat.

w1wx6v.jpg

How was it getting the LS3 holders onto the monocoque boot?  Easy or any difficulties encountered?

14 hours ago, the_game said:

this is the EXACT skate I would put together - holders, superfeet, everything. They look amazing man! 

I really want to demo these skate before I buy tho, I may take them for a rip next week 

Edited by enis750
  • Like 1

No issues getting the Tuuks on, obviously new holes needed but no problems.

I specifically waited for SummerJam to try these out before I bought, very happy with the decision.

• Like 1