Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Steve_v3

Subban to Nashville

Marc Bergevin was probably asked what he thought on the Devils fleecing the Oilers for Hall and said: 

"Just watch this"

What the hell is this trade. Webber's contract is hilariously bad...he is 30 years old. Fire Bergevin and fire Therrien

• Like 2

Terrible - PK is younger and more dynamic and exciting than Webber. As a Habs fan I would've preferred to keep him, however; if they were going to trade him I would've rather had Hall plus picks/prospects than Weber. Weber is good, but is older and his contract is longer/almost just as expensive. I'm not happy and agree with Hills - fire them all!

• Like 1

I am not sure if this is the final straw that broke the camel's back but with 3 minutes to go and the score tied 2-2, you better make sure the puck doesn't end up at the back of your own net. Rarely, do you hear a coach call out a player and say he is "selfish". It cost them minimum one point in the standings and possible chance of a win in overtime.

The worst part is I believe is your own team mates lose their focus and confidence. Same thing with goalies, once the goalie lets a couple soft ones in, the team loses their confidence.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-coach-michel-therrien-not-backing-down-from-subban-comments/

and i think that may be shorter term than ever. Weber will have to get used to playing with an alright, but aging and nowhere near as effective D partner in Markov now, vs having Suter or Josi back on the blue line with him. Nashvilles D is going to be scary and for years to come. I really think montreal could have asked and gotten more in return than they did this deal, hell not even any picks or recent draftees.

23 hours ago, Stewie said:

and i think that may be shorter term than ever. Weber will have to get used to playing with an alright, but aging and nowhere near as effective D partner in Markov now, vs having Suter or Josi back on the blue line with him. Nashvilles D is going to be scary and for years to come. I really think montreal could have asked and gotten more in return than they did this deal, hell not even any picks or recent draftees.

Thinking more about the contract status of both of these players I think its about even, can't really squeeze much more in terms of drafts/assets. Both players have issues and conditions. Both players have huge contracts so its hard to find another trading partner to take on that salary/term.  For Montreal, I really think they are only going to keep Weber for 4-5 years max. His contract runs for another 10 years which at that time he is almost 40 years old. However, the last 4 years, salary is super cheap, $1 million each of the last 3 years. The cap hit is still high at almost $8 million each year so this may be of high desire for budget teams trying to reach the minimum cap floor like Arizona and Columbus.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/shea-weber

Edited by fastmiele

I'm really interested to see how this one pans out. Yes, PK is younger and flashier than Weber, but with that comes more mistakes and errors in judgement. It will be curious to see what this deal looks like in 5 years.

7 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Yes, PK is younger and flashier than Weber, but with that comes more mistakes and errors in judgement. 

I think that's exactly it. PK is high risk, high reward and Weber is low risk. Unfortunately, it's also comparatively low reward as well. He has a cannon from the point, but isn't all that close to PK in any other aspect of the game. 

On 2016-07-05 at 8:19 PM, Chadd said:

I think that's exactly it. PK is high risk, high reward and Weber is low risk. Unfortunately, it's also comparatively low reward as well. He has a cannon from the point, but isn't all that close to PK in any other aspect of the game. 

isn't Weber bigger and stronger than PK in terms of size ( clearing out the opposition in front of the crease) ?

6'4" and 236 lbs  vs  6' and 210 lbs

21 hours ago, fastmiele said:

isn't Weber bigger and stronger than PK in terms of size ( clearing out the opposition in front of the crease) ?

6'4" and 236 lbs  vs  6' and 210 lbs

Bigger, but I don't know if anyone could say who was stronger in a hockey context. Only giving away 26lbs over 4", PK could very well have an advantage in that regard. If the league continues to regress back into the clutch and grab game, then Weber may be serviceable for a little longer than some people are guessing. 

In that case, Jonathan Ericsson on the Wings is 6'4 220, and not only do opposing forwards camp in the crease with him, but he brings the graham crackers for the smores. I wouldnt necessarily look at raw measurables and say someone is any better or worse at clearing a crease.

On 6/30/2016 at 1:20 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I think Steve Kouleas nailed it on SXM this morning. Short term win, long term loss in this deal for Mtl

I agree.