Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Steve_v3

Oilers trade Hall to Devils

Devils got a hell of a deal and added much needed scoring talent to the roster.  However, they' pretty much wrecked their D-corps as it currently stands since he was considered the best defensive prospect/player the Devils had. Over the last two seasons Larsson has turned into a fantastic defenseman who was getting top line minutes in Jersey.  He wasn't flashy but he did provide much needed stability for the top defensive pair, routinely playing in all situations.  I'm pretty sad to see him leave the Devils,  but the a deal this good doesn't come along often. This will be a much better looking trade for the Oilers if Larsson continues to develop and improve as he has in New Jersey over the last few years.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think Larsson is severely underrated being that he's on the Devils and their struggle's been not scoring enough despite solid D.  Larsson's coming into his own, he's got an excellent contract.  Definitely going to miss him here in NJ.  Hope he doesn't take the brunt of being the reason Hall was traded in Edmonton.

On 7/5/2016 at 0:05 PM, chippa13 said:

Hall for Larsson may just be Chiarelli's "Thornton trade".

I have to agree, I was stunned when I learned it was a 1 for 1 trade.  Hall is an elite player right now, with good possession and traditional stats.  Larsson is not an elite defenseman yet.  Seems like the Oilers gave up a lot for the hope that Larsson becomes elite.

If Hall can remain healthy, the Devils got a good deal. I know using the term 'injury prone' is kinda a swear word, but that left ankle has sure taken a beating in the past among the concussion and other various injuries over his career. 

On 7/5/2016 at 1:05 PM, chippa13 said:

Hall for Larsson may just be Chiarelli's "Thornton trade".

He's now traded picks 1 & 2 from that draft for questionable returns.

Larsson and a pick or two or Larsson and a prospect wouldn't have been a bad deal. 

6 hours ago, stick9 said:

Larsson and a pick or two or Larsson and a prospect wouldn't have been a bad deal. 

Didn't they win a cup after that? Bad trade or not, it worked out in Boston for the short term.

10 hours ago, stick9 said:

who are you referring to ?

if its Hamilton, then thats another draft year

11 minutes ago, fastmiele said:

who are you referring to ?

if its Hamilton, then thats another draft year

I believe he is referring to the fact that Chiarelli traded away Seguin when he was with the Bruins and than now Hall with the Oilers.  they were taken 1 and 2 in 2010.

16 hours ago, Chadd said:

Didn't they win a cup after that? Bad trade or not, it worked out in Boston for the short term.

The Cup win was during Seguin's rookie season. He was dealt after being a complete non-factor in the 2013 run to the Cup finals.

In fairness to Sweeney holding on to Eriksson, the scuttlebutt I had heard at the deadline was that he wanted to move him but ownership wouldn't sign off on it because they were in the playoffs and within 2 or 3 points of the division lead at the time and didn't want to make a trade that would drop them out of the playoffs. As for the rest of Sweeney's questionable decisions thus far as a GM, at least he isn't the guy that's traded Hall and Seguin and gotten fleeced on both deals

8 hours ago, chippa13 said:

The Cup win was during Seguin's rookie season. He was dealt after being a complete non-factor in the 2013 run to the Cup finals.

For some reason I was thinking the Thornton trade. I keep forgetting how history repeats itself at times.

On 7/8/2016 at 4:11 PM, cmflynn said:

In fairness to Sweeney holding on to Eriksson, the scuttlebutt I had heard at the deadline was that he wanted to move him but ownership wouldn't sign off on it because they were in the playoffs and within 2 or 3 points of the division lead at the time and didn't want to make a trade that would drop them out of the playoffs. As for the rest of Sweeney's questionable decisions thus far as a GM, at least he isn't the guy that's traded Hall and Seguin and gotten fleeced on both deals

I heard pretty recently that at some point in the season BOS & STL had a deal in place that included Shattenkirk & Louis Eriksson. St Louis wanted Boston to take on a ad contract in the deal and things broke down. Same source said both sides regretted not making the deal.