Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truckie

How I am doing so far?

new older guy getting equipment, here = 50yo noob  no organized experience,  just some lake hockey over 35yrs ago

I started skating with Mrs. 3weeks ago, on rentals... we then got CCM tacks 4092/ $199 ( LOVE them)  ***she picked the bauer X500***

by the way  I am a 5'10" 200lb guy .....went senior large on equip and XL on the jerseys

bauer helmet $55,  bauer N7000 elbows $30, warrior AX2 shins $24 , Itech gloves $20,   2 wood  sticks koho and CCM heat $30, ( for stick and puck)

Just ordered for Adult class..  Easton Stealth C9.0 Sr. Ice Hockey Pants  $45,   Easton Stealth C5.0 Sr. Shoulder Pad  $35,    2_  CCM 10200 Practice Jersey $24,

Dogree Nashville Predators Hockey Socks  $10,  , MoGo Flavored Mouthguard $12

did I forget anything??.. (have a cup)

Thanks

my helmet has a cage.....  and I am using one of my Fire Dept gear bags at the moment, but with the bigger equipment I may have to find another.

I guess i need some under garments like under armor for top and bottom... was just gonna use a light tshirt and  put my shin pads right on my legs like I have been

Howdy,

T-shirt and shins right on my legs is what I do.  No issues.

You'll want some type of hockey jock.  Lots of options, but I've been fine with the super basic Bauer loose fit mesh shorts w/cup.  Velcro tabs (and socks with matching velcro or knit socks) means no sock tape.

Mark

Thanks... I ordered knit sox.... and a Graf Jock...... was just gonna tape wrap the sox up for now... then shop for a  lower garment that had velcro to hook socks to

Sound right??

Howdy,

Plenty of guys use sock tape.  Seems like a PITA to me, but no question it works.

Biggest thing is just to get out there and play.  You'll form your own opinions as to gear with some experience.  My experience (short... I started about a year ago and didn't get serious until this Jan) says that there are few "right answers" as to what gear to use and a whole crapload of "personal preferences".

Mark

You have good shins, I would consider upgrading your elbows asap - knees and elbows are the parts that take a beating as you get back on your feet and begin to improve. You don't need to buy new, hunt ebay, clearances and other places looking for top of the line elbows from 2 or 3 years ago with none to little use, look to spend around $40 - $50 plus shipping.

You may find the pants and the jersey a bit big. I'm around your size (6'0" - 200 lbs) and I wear a senior Size Medium pant and a Medium jersey. There's a bit of personal preference in the fit as well, but you don't want the pants too long so they're impinging on your shins or too loose so you have to pull them up constantly (may be able to use suspenders). Fit is different brand to brand too, so what you got may work just fine!

Agreed on having nice shins and elbows... I started playing about a year ago and got bottom dollar equipment. I ended up really getting into it and swapped over to APX2 stuff from last year and the protection is MUCH better when I take a fall. If I did it all over again, I would have dropped more money on my shins, elbows, helmet, and skates right off the bat.

But most of all, just enjoy it and have fun out there! I had just as much fun with rental equipment from the rink as I do now with fancy equipment.

1 hour ago, Bartjo06 said:

You may find the pants and the jersey a bit big. I'm around your size (6'0" - 200 lbs) and I wear a senior Size Medium pant and a Medium jersey. There's a bit of personal preference in the fit as well, but you don't want the pants too long so they're impinging on your shins or too loose so you have to pull them up constantly (may be able to use suspenders). Fit is different brand to brand too, so what you got may work just fine!

Agreed on having nice shins and elbows... I started playing about a year ago and got bottom dollar equipment. I ended up really getting into it and swapped over to APX2 stuff from last year and the protection is MUCH better when I take a fall. If I did it all over again, I would have dropped more money on my shins, elbows, helmet, and skates right off the bat.

But most of all, just enjoy it and have fun out there! I had just as much fun with rental equipment from the rink as I do now with fancy equipment.

I did one of the chat sessions and asked a lot of questions.... 34" waist pants X 30" length and wear a 42 regular suit jacket if that helps any.. suspenders are not a problem I can pick some up if needed I typically wear a large tshirt and the rep said go XL shirt over the shoulder pads...  anything gotta be better than my elbows hanging out because I only have been wearing tshirts to the rink and putting shins on my legs and covering them with my fire Dept sweat pants...  Can you say... DORK!!

35 minutes ago, Truckie said:

I did one of the chat sessions and asked a lot of questions.... 34" waist pants X 30" length and wear a 42 regular suit jacket if that helps any.. suspenders are not a problem I can pick some up if needed I typically wear a large tshirt and the rep said go XL shirt over the shoulder pads...  anything gotta be better than my elbows hanging out because I only have been wearing tshirts to the rink and putting shins on my legs and covering them with my fire Dept sweat pants...  Can you say... DORK!!

I had those same elbows, just last year's model and they were fine for me for a WHILE. One of the benefits of the lower end elbows is they allow a lot of "range of motion" which helps when you're learning to stick handle, etc. The higher end pads (although they become segmented and claim they are mobile) are a bit more restrictive in my experience. I think you'll be just fine with them for now, just realize they aren't going to provide as much protection.

I find that the CCM 10200 jerseys run pretty big relative to their size. I have a few size Large and I swim in them. Everyone is different, though!

13 minutes ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

you're going to sweat your a$$ off with knit sox (IMHO)

I recently went from knit to the Bauer Premium style socks and WHOA at how much cooler I am when I skate now. Those things are awesome.

10 hours ago, Truckie said:

my elbow pads are bauer Nexus N7000....is that entry level or better than entry level?  I paid $30

They are one model above entry level. As an example of what you can find (in a L size) look at these on ebay -

Easton HSX auction#  232021659932 for $39 

Rbk 10ks auction# 262547705149 for $20

Jofa 9077 auction# 222202541680 for $50

These are just 3 I found with a quick glance over the last few days of listings. Out of the 3 my recommendation would be:

the Jofas are a superb buy at that price, these are pro guards,

the Eastons are a current model at a good used price, not quite top of the line (say compared too Bauer apx2's or 1x's) but a good pad none the less

but the one I would buy are the 10k's, great pad, really good all round fit, bullet proof protection and when the straps stretch to far get the velcro restitched on them and they will outlast your playing days.  

I will say I am a little bit biased towards top of the line Rbk pads and shins. Having tried everything out there they still remain my preferred choice. And I really shouldn't have looked as I found a pair of Rbk 9k nhl pros in my size, brand new and just had to buy them, sigh....

and any top end pad will have the same range of motion as a bottom end pad. What you will find is a top end pad has more protection and sits bigger on the arm and this can seem to give less motion, after wearing them for a couple of times you will not notice this.

15 hours ago, Bartjo06 said:

WOW hoping I am not swimming in my new gear.... I have grabbed senior large for everything so far and it all fits... I guess I could suspender pants if too big XL jersey to fit over the shoulder pads... I guess we will see... My order shipped today

You may be, Unless you are built more on the solid side then I suspect shoulders may be a tad too large but thats ok, go to the gym more. Pants will be loose, eat more. Elbows will be to large (this is the big concern). Elbows that are too big end up slipping down your arm and rotating on you. You are forever adjusting them and the time you don't adjust them you fall on your elbow and have no protection, it's a real pita. Judging by your height, your shins should be 14". Helmet is head size dependent, not height or build. Jerseys and socks will still fit but may be a little loose which is fine.

The bauer nexus elbows I have are large size and dont slide down arms.. I think my shin pads are 15" and stay put when I fall.....  I am kinda a thicker guy, (not a trim underwear model)   i feel I should be fine at large pants and shoulders.. I will find out sometime Thursday as that is the sched. delivery date for my order....   also thinking about doing the 2 composite mystery sticks at hockeymonkey   for  like $90 shipped for both.

'

23 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

you're going to sweat your a$$ off with knit sox (IMHO)

I am currently wearing sweatpants over my shin pads. so the knit sox should not be too bad...

New Jersey??  what exit? I was born and raised in Jersey,  Lived there for 40 years...

1 hour ago, Truckie said:

I am currently wearing sweatpants over my shin pads. so the knit sox should not be too bad...

New Jersey??  what exit? I was born and raised in Jersey,  Lived there for 40 years...

exit 161  northern NJ.   you??

On August 2, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Truckie said:

WOW hoping I am not swimming in my new gear.... I have grabbed senior large for everything so far and it all fits... I guess I could suspender pants if too big XL jersey to fit over the shoulder pads... I guess we will see... My order shipped today

A lot of personal preference in sizing. For the last dozen years I've worn size large pants with suspenders and I'm 5'10" 155 lbs. At your size I would feel like I'm wearing a sausage casing in size medium pants. Too large jerseys are generally not a problem as long as it is not waaaay too big. Too tight and it can start getting restrictive. You should probably be generally fine on sizing and can upgrade in the future as you develop your own preferences.

On 8/2/2016 at 7:20 AM, Bartjo06 said:

UPDATE: Gear arrived today and I tried it all on and it seems to fit just fine.. So I had an excuse to run to the rink  for stick and puck,, and public skate....and Try it all out... Shoulders might be a tiny smidge big but work great... the XL shirts are big but not in my way, ...the pants  once snugged up,  stayed put all day... the knit sox seem HUGE but taped them up and kept extra tucked up under pant bottoms and they stayed up with my tape job.

Being completely confident with full gear on, I pushed my limits skating today and wiped out HARD... Staff and others came rushing over... I popped up and skated off.. I think If I was just out there in my jeans with my skates..I would have been knocked out and have a cracked skull.... Now to get into the ADULT hockey class

Awesome to hear everything worked out with your gear! Keep at it, I learned a LOT of what I know now in an Adult Learn to Play class on Wednesday nights. I stayed committed to it and within 4-5 months I had made a huge improvement. I played Friday night with a bunch of young guys way outside my skill level and took a hard fall into the boards myself, all in the name of learning!

Howdy,

Great!  Way to go getting gear figured out and getting out there!

You'll have a blast at your adult skills class.  I think I enjoy those more than games.  :-)

And yeah, a huge benefit of wearing all this stuff is that you can push your skating limits and be a lot less worried about getting hurt falling.

Mark

We went to Play it again sports and bought Mrs. knee, elbow,gloves and a helmet so she can relax about falling and learn to skate too.... yardwork tomorrow and skating on Sunday