Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

balfrob

Bauer Supreme Totalone NXG

Hi everybody!

I need new skates and I really like the totalone nxg from bauer. They have it for good price in our local store. My only question is, which might be somewhat stupid, I know they have these exact skates in the store for at least two years. Do you think there might be any decrease in the quality of the material if it is just standing around unused for years? Thank you.

No, other than the possibility of some rust on the blades the other material of the skate should be in perfect condition (unless the skates have been baked  a number of times as a demo skate which is something you might not know about). A very good skate and if the price is right then they would be worth it.

Thank you for your answer Vet88. I am sure they were not baked, they generally don't do that in that store also they give two years warranty on it, which is valid only until it is baked for the first time. I think I am getting it later this week. 
Thanks again!

Good choice. And yeah, not likely that the skates were baked in store. I don't know of any store that would put the skates in the oven before you have the credit card out. And absolutely no store will take back a baked skate, let alone try to re-sell it.

With the new 1S line out earlier this year, the previous generation of Supremes (including TO NXG) have been on pretty good deal since last season. I've picked up 180s earlier this year on a sweet deal as well. Enjoy the new wheels. You can't go wrong with it.

Thanks for reassurement GloriousLeader. Had them on the training for the first time yesterday and of course they need breaking in but god are they amazing skates :D

8 hours ago, balfrob said:

Thanks for reassurement GloriousLeader. Had them on the training for the first time yesterday and of course they need breaking in but god are they amazing skates :D

Just be really careful. There's a lot of reports that the tendon guards will break (mine did), don't grab your skates by the tendon guards to take them off and on.. 

13 minutes ago, RickDC said:

Just be really careful. There's a lot of reports that the tendon guards will break (mine did), don't grab your skates by the tendon guards to take them off and on.. 

I always make sure i don't put any pressure on the tendon guards when taking them off. I have also read some other people reporting issues, like the skates wore out in a surprisingly short time. One guy  was reporting some parts having durability problems after 4 months. What is your experience on that if we disregard the tendon guard problem?

I know a number of players still in them after 2  - 3 years of use and they are still going strong. As said before, be careful on how you take them off (regardless of what skate you are in this should apply).

On 2016-08-10 at 8:54 AM, balfrob said:

I always make sure i don't put any pressure on the tendon guards when taking them off. I have also read some other people reporting issues, like the skates wore out in a surprisingly short time. One guy  was reporting some parts having durability problems after 4 months. What is your experience on that if we disregard the tendon guard problem?

I actually ended up selling them to a friend of mine, I was having problems with volume etc... He was pissed when the tendon guard broke off. I ended up going to the Mako 1, then Mako 2 and with Mako now being discontinued, ended up buying a couple on sale, which will last me for the next 5-10 years. Love them and huge shame they're not being developed further.. One of the other advantages with the Mako was the replaceable Tendon guard ;-) 

I have NXGs since November 2011. They are still going strong and I play all year. Basic skate maintenance: take out the footbed after every skate to let it dry. The footbed is basically a sponge after you skate so you must take it out. Try to hang the skates upside down to dry out. I do this every time. Finally, when taking the skates off take the laces out of the top two eyelets, loosen up the laces through the 3-4 eyelets, pull the tongue forward and your foot will just slip out of the boot. The tendon guard will not be hurt ever doing this. Most tendon guards get broken by kicking off your skates instead of using the method I explained. 5 years later my NXGs are fine.

18 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

I have NXGs since November 2011. They are still going strong and I play all year. Basic skate maintenance: take out the footbed after every skate to let it dry. The footbed is basically a sponge after you skate so you must take it out. Try to hang the skates upside down to dry out. I do this every time. Finally, when taking the skates off take the laces out of the top two eyelets, loosen up the laces through the 3-4 eyelets, pull the tongue forward and your foot will just slip out of the boot. The tendon guard will not be hurt ever doing this. Most tendon guards get broken by kicking off your skates instead of using the method I explained. 5 years later my NXGs are fine.

Just got new Tacks skates and I've been doing that, because ruining new expensive skates is a terrifying thought. Haven't been taking out the footbed though, I'll be doing that in the future.

On 8/13/2016 at 9:11 PM, DarkStar50 said:

Drying without the footbed helps prevent corrosion on the rivets, which is the only thing keeping that holder on the skate. 

There are a number of reasons that I have heard of or know of -:

Stops water pooling around the blade and blade locking / release sections.

Warm air rises. By storing the boots upside down warm air gets trapped in the boot and helps it to dry quicker.

The base of the boot is the wettest area and also one of the most sealed areas (lots of carbon and glue) so turning it upside down helps to drain moisture away from this area and into the boot lining where it can evaporate quicker (a larger surface area that is more porous and this is what the boot lining is designed to do).

Most nhl dressing rooms will have skates hanging up upside down to dry.