Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cwc2134

Bauer 1N skate help

First, I apologize if this has already been talked about or if this is the wrong place... but i could not find this specific question and am slightly limited with what i can try on at my LHS. I am looking for a little bit of help regarding the fit of the Bauer 1N skate. I am most concerned with the heel width. I currently skate in Bauer APX in a Size 8 and EE Width. They fit OK but my heel does not stay in place and ive basically shredded a hole in the inside of both of the skates (happens to everything i own..shoes included). If anyone has any info on the skates or opinions one way or another to help me out it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Nexus is a wider deeper fit than both the Vapor and Supreme lines. As I understand it, this new Nexus line is a little narrower than the previous generation. Expect a wider heel.

maybe you should try the Supreme line in a D width which is more of an anatomical fit? It may provide a better heel lock for you than the Vapors. I think you will find Nexus too wide.

Sounds like you have a weird foot shape. At the price of 1N, you can get custom VH. If you must have something from the store however, try CCM JetSpeed, you might like how it fits. 

On 06/08/2016 at 9:27 AM, cwc2134 said:

First, I apologize if this has already been talked about or if this is the wrong place... but i could not find this specific question and am slightly limited with what i can try on at my LHS. I am looking for a little bit of help regarding the fit of the Bauer 1N skate. I am most concerned with the heel width. I currently skate in Bauer APX in a Size 8 and EE Width. They fit OK but my heel does not stay in place and ive basically shredded a hole in the inside of both of the skates (happens to everything i own..shoes included). If anyone has any info on the skates or opinions one way or another to help me out it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Start with what you are in, an apx (apx2, 1X lineage) which has the narrowest heel of the Bauer range. Going to a 1N (TO, NXG, MX3 lineage) isn't going to help, the heel will still be too wide for you unless you do some serious work on it. I'm in apx2's and have also had on my feet 1N's, MX3's / TO's, one100's and all of the supreme line are to wide for my heels. To get my apx2's to fit my heel area properly I have had to clamp them using a foot mould that I made myself (PM me if you want any details). Now they fit and now they give me a good heel lock. If you stay in Bauer, stay with the line you are in, it's the narrowest heel. Consider buying a D (in apx/ apx2 / 1x) and then get the forefoot punched / stretched out. Or consider the CCM range, Ribcors narrowest heel, then jetspeeds then the new super Tacks. the trade off you have here is the narrowest heel is the softest boot of the 3 ranges. Or go VH and get a boot built to how you want it, you do pay more but you get a boot that should fit how you want out of the box.

Thanks everyone for the info it is much appreciated. KG i do have a super weird foot shape. I've gone to shoe stores and the reps have looked at my feet and just laughed. Buying shoes is next to impossible. I also have about a 1.25-1.5 size difference between my right foot (bigger) and left foot. I was really hoping the nexus line would offer me something as its the deepest skate which is something i need due to a pretty substantial arch as well as a wide forefoot.  I did a tracing and measurement of my foot (probably a bad job) and came up with this 

Right foot-

Lenth from center heel to big toe 27.5 cm -10 7/8 inch

Forefoot width 10.8  cm - 4 1/4 inch

Heel (2 inch from back of foot) 7cm - 2 3/4 inch

Heel (1 inch from back of foot) 6.4cm - 2 1/2 inch

left foot-

Lenth from center heel to big toe 24.15 cm -9.5 inch

Forefoot width 10.5 cm - 4 1/4 inch

Heel (2 inch from back of foot) 7cm - 2 3/4 inch

Heel (1 inch from back of foot) 6.4cm - 2 1/2 inch

Unless you manage to find a shop that has odd sized boots left, you will never be able to buy a retail pair that will fit both feet due to the mismatched length of your feet. Go custom and get everything right.

Yes... nevermind JetSpeed, they do not have an arch for you. Good news, you heels are the same. Another good news is that 1N which you budgeted for, cost the same as custom VH if not more. So google VH skates and start an email string with the guy... Alternatively, you would need to go back to regular skate, something narrow in D width so you can get the heel right. Then take them to a figure skating shop (proper one that does custom fitting) and have them to punch out the front for your forefoot. If Graf was still in their prime, you would have been able to go with their Supra 735, but the shambolic state of it took them out of retail, so you can not try that on.

How in any scenario is he going to find a pair of retail skates that will fit properly??? Say he buys for his left foot (which would fit into a junior skate) then his right foot is toast because you cannot punch a boot for 3cm+ of length. So he buys for his right foot (which is a senior size) and his left foot is in a boot that is at least 3 sizes to big for him. If he wants to go retail then his ONLY hope is go to a LHS, get fitted for a boot for each foot and then either buy 2 pairs of different sizes or hunt for 2 pairs second hand. 

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

How in any scenario is he going to find a pair of retail skates that will fit properly??? 

... nothing can fit proprly, buthe since his fit are the same in the heel and in the middle, and only differ in length, he can get a pair of skates in 9D and stuff the toebox with foam in one boot. For us it is not a proper fit, but for him, it is pretty normal by now. Because of the weird width of the forefoot, he will need to have the skates punched out just behind the toebox for EE. This kind of punch out will probably cost a hundred bucks. So if he has $1000 ready to go for a pair of Bauer 1x, I would definitely go to VH instead and have them make something that feels the way it should.