Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slooz

Do I *need* footbeds?

Dumb question: do I need to skate with insoles? Is that a thing that people do? I finally found a pair of skates that fit my feet (Graf 9035s), but have been having control problems on the ice. I profiled them to better match my old Bauers, which definitely helped, but I still felt off balance. The stock footbeds that came with the skates are, in addition to being frail, too small in length and width, so I took them out at public skate tonight for the heck of it. It made a huge difference: I was way faster and stronger on my edges. I've heard of people skating without socks, but do players ever skate without insoles? If I do need them, do you have any recommendations that will let me feel the ice as much as possible?

It all depends on you and the biomechanics of your foot. There is nothing to say you need footbeds other than they should give some shape for your foot (although some footbeds are just flat pieces of rubber) and protect you from the rivets / staples etc that boot manufacturers have in the bottom of the boot (goodness help you if you ever decided to do that in a G3 or G5 boot, the staples in the sole would tear your feet to pieces).

If you feel more comfortable without them then go for it otherwise superfeet, carbon pro, graf sidas or Bauer speedplates are all good insoles.

you should get at least something to cover the rivets. I think 9035 come with sidas. I personally like the Grafs cheap "anatomical footbed" (I think MSRP is $14.99 on those). These are great, they add minimal thickness comparing to no-insoles except they couture and support your heel plus they do exceptional job of covering the nuts and staples. Try insoles from the previous pair of skates?

As a simple answer, Yes, you need footbeds. Cant imagine skating without them...doesn't sound very comfortable.

How much is it? Let's weigh some of those footbeds out there. Simple foam ones like the old stock Graf Anatomical Fit footbeds can't weigh too much, especially when compared to steel.