Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Opinions on chest protector sizing

I'm often the relief goalie when we don't have two for drop-in, probably because the equipment fits me. However, the chest protector's arms are getting twisted around, so last time I stung my elbow when I dove to my side. This has led me to get my own protector, but I'd like some opinions on whether I should be buying for height or girth.

What I mean is I'm 5' 7", so one of the sites said to buy Medium, but I'm fairly broad across the shoulders and chest and generally need 2XL shirts. It seems to me that the only disadvantage of buying the XL would be the length over my midsection, which doesn't seem too bad, because the current set leaves about a one inch gap between the chest and pants. Yet, if I buy the M, there's the possibility that the straps won't extend wide enough.

I'm considering the Bauer Supreme TotalOne NXG, because its reviews have been positive and $299 seems like a fair price.

Gracias.....

This is where either a generous return policy or physically trying the unit on is my ONLY advice. Everything fits differently between all of the brands.

I agree with bunnyman. The Warrior chest protectors offer a lot of strapping options on all of their models if you would want something with a bit more customization. 

The answer to the question is height, and arm span. You should have no trouble with being too wide for a chest protector that fits your height correctly. 

This is also where I'd recommend either Passau or Brown as you can get custom sizes in either. They're also the most protective units out there. And crazy levels of strapping customisation.

Get your measurements, and find a sizing chart.  Arm length is usually the most important factor with chesties, because it's the only thing that can't be compensated for.

Passau and Brown do customs.  Warrior offers the ability to get different body and arm sizes.  

I will say, with just about complete certainty, that you won't come anywhere close to fitting in a stock XL if you are only 5'7".

Instead of starting a new thread I will ask on this one, since my question has to do with the chest protector I Just purchased on eBay. I was able to pick up a Bauer One55 Chest Protector, size Medium, in great condition, almost new for $85 since I was on a tight budget. Like the OP, I am 5'7", but normal build. I feel like the arms of the chest protector are about an inch too long, and have noticed that it somewhat affects the mobility of my glove and blocker. I've read some other threads about modifying the length of the arms by cutting and sewing, but I want to consider that as a last resort. Is there anything else you guys can recommend? If I do have to cut into the material and modify it, how should I go about doing so?

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Get your measurements, and find a sizing chart.  Arm length is usually the most important factor with chesties, because it's the only thing that can't be compensated for.

Passau and Brown do customs.  Warrior offers the ability to get different body and arm sizes.  

I will say, with just about complete certainty, that you won't come anywhere close to fitting in a stock XL if you are only 5'7".

Absolutely. Arms are by far the most important part. A chesty with adjustable arms is a huge plus. Unfortunately, they almost always only go longer. Seems they never go shorter.

Extra belly protection is a whole hell of a lot easier to add than longer or shorter arms. For reference, I'm 5'9 and wore a Bauer retail L with the arms stitched up about 2". Should have been in a M. 

3 hours ago, tburns517 said:

Instead of starting a new thread I will ask on this one, since my question has to do with the chest protector I Just purchased on eBay. I was able to pick up a Bauer One55 Chest Protector, size Medium, in great condition, almost new for $85 since I was on a tight budget. Like the OP, I am 5'7", but normal build. I feel like the arms of the chest protector are about an inch too long, and have noticed that it somewhat affects the mobility of my glove and blocker. I've read some other threads about modifying the length of the arms by cutting and sewing, but I want to consider that as a last resort. Is there anything else you guys can recommend? If I do have to cut into the material and modify it, how should I go about doing so?

I didn't cut mine, I just gathered some of the fabric at the shoulder and stitched it with a speedy stitcher. Worked well. Took the arms up by about 2". Speedy stitcher is an absolute must-have in your gear bag. 

Is the prevailing thought that the arms will be too long? I do have shorter arms, but I'm fairly sure my wife can modify the length for me.

I just measured my chest, which is 48" and in the range of XXL, so I'm concerned about the Medium pads being sized to fit a 38"-40" chest.

2 hours ago, Jason Harris said:

Is the prevailing thought that the arms will be too long? I do have shorter arms, but I'm fairly sure my wife can modify the length for me.

I just measured my chest, which is 48" and in the range of XXL, so I'm concerned about the Medium pads being sized to fit a 38"-40" chest.

Like I said already, width is mostly irrelevant for sizing chest protectors. Arm length is #1. Torso height is #2. Width is a DISTANT #3.

At 5' 8.5", Vaughn and Warrior small fit me perfectly. Again, I started trying on units at the hockey store until I found what I liked. i have found that despite having a VERY wide waist that a small fit me best. Arm span measurement is a great guide, but trying on units is the ABSOLUTE BEST way to verify fit.

12 hours ago, Jason Harris said:

The arms in these units are all pads and protection sewn in.  You may be able to pull it up a little, but the actual dimensions of the rest of the arm will be too big. And those can't be modified.  Either go custom with Passau who will make the unit to your exact measurements, or go with Warrior where you can get a XL body with M arms.  The Pro version of the Warrior Ritual is highly adjustable in just about every dimension except shortening the actual arm piece.  You can move it up or down, shorter or longer, and where your elbow actually sits in it, but you can't make it smaller if it's just too big.  But you can adjust the width of the unit and shoulder floaters.  Also remember that as a goalie, most of your protection is needed in the front.  So if the unit doesn't wrap around quite as well because you're wider, most of what you need is still in place.

You asked if you should be buying for height or girth.  The answer is arm length.  Sorry if that's not the answer you were expecting or want to hear, but it is what it is.  Properly fitting arms are the most important part of a chestie because they have more integrated pieces that aren't adjustable than the rest of the unit.  Proper mobility and protection require the pieces of the arms to fall in the right places, which won't happen if they are too big or small.  In contrast, there are ways to compensate for other areas that may not fit right, like adding a longer belly pad or extending the shoulder floaters.  Those adjustments won't affect your protection or mobility.

I'd save up some more for a better unit, and wear a pair of small player elbow pads (even crap street hockey ones) under the rink chestie until you can afford it.

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

In contrast, there are ways to compensate for other areas that may not fit right, like adding a longer belly pad or extending the shoulder floaters.  Those adjustments won't affect your protection or mobility.

Exactly. Adding a belly pad is a whole hell of a lot easier of a mod than messing with the arms. 

My last word of suggestion: the Warrior unit has somewhat adjustable arms, and I even moved my elbow cups up a bit. Now it fits nearly like it was custom made. Everybody here is spot-on about their advice about arm span FIRST. I will reiterate that you should not buy this blindly on line, but you should try on as many units as possible if you have the opportunity. I try on everything with my gloves, as some gloves interact differently with different chesties. Since you're a sub goalie, I don't think you're wanting to spend the $500 for a full-on custom chestie. That normally is the way to go if you are taking up this position full time. I think you would be not happy with an extra large, as we are nearly the same height and a medium felt too long in the arms.

btw- the best player elbows to go under the lender CA are the low end, one-piece Reeboks. Peranni's has them on sale for $20 or something like that. I used those in my Vaughn chesty with success. Two piece elbow pads get caught up in the straps.