Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

Diet and nutrition for max performance thread.

I follow the intermitting fasting, my diets roughly 481C/70F/188P chicken breast, brown rice, sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots, bananas, eggs and peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

The only supplements I take are really whey protein, Creatine, Beta Alanine, BCAA and a pre workout.

pre game normally have a PB & J sandwich with 2 bananas about 2-3 hours before.

Post game always have whey protein with some oats, then just have my normal dinner when I get home.

4 hours ago, GQRDY said:

I follow the intermitting fasting, my diets roughly 481C/70F/188P chicken breast, brown rice, sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots, bananas, eggs and peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

The only supplements I take are really whey protein, Creatine, Beta Alanine, BCAA and a pre workout.

Post game always have whey protein with some oats, then just have my normal dinner when I get home.

Your diet is much more responsible than mine. If I know I have a game coming up, I balance out my intake throughout the day. Something like a bowl of cereal in the morning and a Sandwich and a piece of fruit like a banana or an apple at lunchtime. Then depending on the time of the game, I'll have a single serving of some pasta but not too much. I feel like this provides a good intake of carbs to burn away on the ice. Throughout the entire day I also drink water to keep myself hydrated but not running to the bathroom every 15min.

Following the game once I get home is usually a tall glass of Chocolate Milk. Some people think that's crazy but It works for me. 

19 minutes ago, Bakum said:

Your diet is much more responsible than mine. If I know I have a game coming up, I balance out my intake throughout the day. Something like a bowl of cereal in the morning and a Sandwich and a piece of fruit like a banana or an apple at lunchtime. Then depending on the time of the game, I'll have a single serving of some pasta but not too much. I feel like this provides a good intake of carbs to burn away on the ice. Throughout the entire day I also drink water to keep myself hydrated but not running to the bathroom every 15min.

Following the game once I get home is usually a tall glass of Chocolate Milk. Some people think that's crazy but It works for me. 

thanks, I used to be real big growing up, probably why I eat so healthy now. Normally on Sunday I have a cheat meal/day where I just eat whatever I want.

Oh yeah I forgot I drink like a gallon or more a day.

I don't think I could do that.......tried drinking a litre of milk before struggled with it, but I've never tried chocolate milk.

16 minutes ago, GQRDY said:

thanks, I used to be real big growing up, probably why I eat so healthy now. Normally on Sunday I have a cheat meal/day where I just eat whatever I want.

Oh yeah I forgot I drink like a gallon or more a day.

I don't think I could do that.......tried drinking a litre of milk before struggled with it, but I've never tried chocolate milk.

Chocolate Milk is my recovery drink. I have been doing this for years but apparently there is some sports science behind it.

I couldn't do it before a game. It would make me vomit.

14 minutes ago, Bakum said:

Chocolate Milk is my recovery drink. I have been doing this for years but apparently there is some sports science behind it.

I couldn't do it before a game. It would make me vomit.

oh yeah I remember reading somewhere about that, not for me. But if it works for you keep doing it.

5 hours ago, GQRDY said:

I like the "only supplements I take" part followed by a list of supplements. I actually laughed out loud when I read that :)

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I like the "only supplements I take" part followed by a list of supplements. I actually laughed out loud when I read that :)

Well I used to take more.................... then i realised taking loads of supplements is a waste of money ;(

Plus I forgot multivitamin and fish oil haha :)

Does anyone find it difficult to retain muscle mass during the hockey season ? Seems as hard as I try to increase my calorie intake I still struggle retaining muscle mass and I don't even want to imagine how much muscle I would loose if I don't put in any effort to increase my calorie intake. Ugh.

10 minutes ago, masterpeice_patrice said:

Does anyone find it difficult to retain muscle mass during the hockey season ? Seems as hard as I try to increase my calorie intake I still struggle retaining muscle mass and I don't even want to imagine how much muscle I would loose if I don't put in any effort to increase my calorie intake. Ugh.

Not really, as long as you eat enough (the right kind of things) and lift regularly you should be able to keep or add muscle.

I start working out at 7 pm (on and off ice) , i start carbing up around lunchtime , that's when I started cooking , and no I didn't eat all of it lol shared half with my bartender who just loves this dish. After the meal I would just walk around and do work for a few hours I don't really set the times I eat but in between I would be sipping on room temperature water a little bit of mixed nuts, peanut butter all small snacks and by the time I start dressing up I would mix up some biosteel, enough to last me while dressing up and until the end of the work out and I would follow with having some muscle milk after my work outs but it won't end there, I'll go back to work and start firing up the grill for steaks or whatever I feel like, everyday is different. Here's some vids ..I would have a banana and some yogurt while the Zambonie driver floods the ice and looks at me shaking his head. Probably thinking "who's this guy kidding?"

https://vid.me/xFot

https://vid.me/XOVo

I'm weird, I'm a pseudo vegetarian. Haha. Breakfast I do plain Greek yogurt with protein reinforce granola. Lunch is usually some sort of fish (salmon or tuna), pregame is a bagel sandwich with a veggie burger and a slice of cheese on it about 3 hours before puck drop. 

Also, phenylpiracetam. Don't take this is you're in a legit competetive event or league, it may be a banned substance.  It's legal in most countries, but it increases the flow of oxygen to your brain and muscles and optimizes your body's response to physical stress. If you play for fun and enjoy some increased performance, give it a shot. It has almost zero negative side effects. Don't take my word for it though, do your own research.

5 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

I'm weird, I'm a pseudo vegetarian. Haha. Breakfast I do plain Greek yogurt with protein reinforce granola. Lunch is usually some sort of fish (salmon or tuna), pregame is a bagel sandwich with a veggie burger and a slice of cheese on it about 3 hours before puck drop. 

Also, phenylpiracetam. Don't take this is you're in a legit competetive event or league, it may be a banned substance.  It's legal in most countries, but it increases the flow of oxygen to your brain and muscles and optimizes your body's response to physical stress. If you play for fun and enjoy some increased performance, give it a shot. It has almost zero negative side effects. Don't take my word for it though, do your own research.

It is on WADA's banned list of substances because it increases tolerance to cold and has some psycho stimulatory properties. You should actually read the science behind a lot of these "supplements".

There was one rat study done which showed cognitive enhancement in healthy young rats. There have been a few legitimate studies done with respect to the elderly, the cognitively impaired, and stroke victims which have also shown some sort of cognitive improvement (12% vs placebo). Bottom line there is no science behind any of the "performance" enhancing claims made by the supplement companies that sell it.

Yeah. I have a friend who got me into nootropics. I've done some light reading on the actual effects of the racetams.

Phenylpiracetam I do notice a big difference in endurance and recovery time while playing. Other racetams have no noticeable effect on physical performance or actually make me feel worse.

I know that's not very science-y and a lot of them they have a hard time proving the actual pharmacological method of action.

Have any of you guys tried a vegan, no dairy, or gluten free diet? 

I am always sore (34 years old, 6'2", 170lbs). So I was just wondering if there were any diets that might do something for inflammation. My diet currently is all over the place. I just had a Carls Jr burger for lunch. And for dinner tonight I'm going to have some grilled chicken with spinach and cashews. I also cut out alcohol and don't drink sodas. 

Breakfast: 40grams whey protein mixed with water,  2.5dl/1cup protein enriched yogurt + some oates,  2 boiled eggs.

1 casule Glucosamine, Omega-3 and 17-dione.

In between snack: 40g whey protein with water + some nuts

Lunch: Yesterdays dinner

In between snack: 40g whey protein with water

Dinner : What me or my fiancee cooks..

1 capsule glucosamine, Omega-3 and 17-dione

Pre workout: 5g beta-alanine

During workout/hockey: 10g BCAA

Post Workout: AFTERZONE post workout shake by Supermass nutrition

30mins Before bed: 4grams GABA on empty stomach, followed by 2 eggs right before bed..

I make the same smoothie every week 5-6 hours before games. 

- About 2lbs o mixed fruit - watermelon, various berries, various citrus

- Plain whole milf yogurt

- Chocolate protein powder

Excellent clean energy and it usually clears me out about 2 hours before the game. Perfect setup. 

6 hours ago, SB39 said:

I make the same smoothie every week 5-6 hours before games. 

- About 2lbs o mixed fruit - watermelon, various berries, various citrus

- Plain whole milf yogurt

- Chocolate protein powder

Excellent clean energy and it usually clears me out about 2 hours before the game. Perfect setup. 

I checked my local grocery store for whole milf yogurt today but couldn't find it. You have a local source? It sounds great. 

22 hours ago, swede said:

Breakfast: 40grams whey protein mixed with water,  2.5dl/1cup protein enriched yogurt + some oates,  2 boiled eggs.

1 casule Glucosamine, Omega-3 and 17-dione.

In between snack: 40g whey protein with water + some nuts

Lunch: Yesterdays dinner

In between snack: 40g whey protein with water

Dinner : What me or my fiancee cooks..

1 capsule glucosamine, Omega-3 and 17-dione

Pre workout: 5g beta-alanine

During workout/hockey: 10g BCAA

Post Workout: AFTERZONE post workout shake by Supermass nutrition

30mins Before bed: 4grams GABA on empty stomach, followed by 2 eggs right before bed..

Are you a pro hockey player or what? Jeebus.

13 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Are you a pro hockey player or what? Jeebus.

Nope,.. Drill rig operator in a iron ore mine.. ????

Buy i use to be a elite level Powerlifter/Benchpresser in junior years. (Benched 490lbs at 23 with a bodyweight of 235lbs) .. now i consider myself more of a fitness athlete. Iv'e played hockey all my life, but nowdays it's just for fun.. I like to stay fit.. 

I normally play late and I found that the pre-workout food and supps don't translate well to hockey, especially later in the evening.

So for me caffeine * beta analine are OUT. I found I get buzzed for a shift or 2 then I'm totally exhausted.

Currently more like: a whole fruit smoothie, some creatine, and fill my water up with a magnesium supplement in it.

I don't do anything special with my diet within one day because I believe you should be eating healthy as much as possible regardless of your activity that day.

10 hours ago, Amazinmets73 said:

I've been vegan for over 3 years. An exclusively plant-based  (vegan) diet has numerous health benefits 

Nice! Ive been at it almost 10 years now. At first, I did it mostly for personal beliefs, but once several health issues just disappeared and I woke up every morning feeling better and more energetic, I had even more reasons to continue. I received annual full physicals and blood testing for the industry I was working in at the time, and it was amazing to see the results just get better and better. Went from the doctor trying to prescribe me my third pill to take daily and having a surgery scheduled at 25, to being now 34, haven't taken a prescription pill since, and totally avoided the surgery.