Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

Diet and nutrition for max performance thread.

1 hour ago, Stewie said:

Nice! Ive been at it almost 10 years now. At first, I did it mostly for personal beliefs, but once several health issues just disappeared and I woke up every morning feeling better and more energetic, I had even more reasons to continue. I received annual full physicals and blood testing for the industry I was working in at the time, and it was amazing to see the results just get better and better. Went from the doctor trying to prescribe me my third pill to take daily and having a surgery scheduled at 25, to being now 34, haven't taken a prescription pill since, and totally avoided the surgery.

Same here!  I'm vegan for ethics, as is every true vegan

On September 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Redhook said:

Have any of you guys tried a vegan, no dairy, or gluten free diet? 

I am always sore (34 years old, 6'2", 170lbs). So I was just wondering if there were any diets that might do something for inflammation. My diet currently is all over the place. I just had a Carls Jr burger for lunch. And for dinner tonight I'm going to have some grilled chicken with spinach and cashews. I also cut out alcohol and don't drink sodas. 

I've experimented with gluten free / dairy free. I have Crohn's disease (which f'n sucks) and noticed decreased inflammatory symptoms as well as increased energy. I also cut out alcohol during that which also helped. I have since gone back to my "normal" diet and manage my symptoms. 

I will never understand the whole supplement thing... What's the major attraction? Best case, they provide you with nutrition without having to eat the actual foods that provide it naturally. Worst case, you really have no idea what you're putting in your body...or the long term effects. Kind of crazy that guys who are not being paid for their athletic ability(I assume most here are not) feel the need for this.

6 hours ago, Pez68 said:

I will never understand the whole supplement thing... What's the major attraction? Best case, they provide you with nutrition without having to eat the actual foods that provide it naturally. Worst case, you really have no idea what you're putting in your body...or the long term effects. Kind of crazy that guys who are not being paid for their athletic ability(I assume most here are not) feel the need for this.

I pretty much ditched all of my supplements apart from whey protein and I don't feel any different and saves me a lot more money.

but yeah they are just supposed to be supplemented along with actual food, not a replacement and help you get stuff you are not getting from your food. 

I agree for the most part with forgoing supplements. I used to take more but now I take only whey, fish oil, ZMA, and melatonin for sleep. I've considered going back to creatine mono for some strength and endurance, but overall work on your diet and workout hard and you'll be 90% there. If you get good at it you can eat healthy for pretty cheap and make it all taste good. Lots of spices and hot sauce. 

I'm also a bike racer, so I've been exposed to many "supplements" and choose to pass on that aspect. But there is one performance enhancer that is proven to work, reasonably safe, and socially approved: caffeine.  A good cup of strong coffee on the way to the rink, finish right before going into the dressing room.

I fast from 8pm at night to 2pm the following day.

I take fish oil and I add mct oil in my coffee during my fast. 

Game day meals usually consist of an omelette with spinach, bacon, and cheese at 2pm.

For dinner I usually eat broccoli with a 6 oz. chicken breast and a kale salad on the side.

I have been doing this for the past 3 months and the way I feel on the ice is totally different from when I was eating a more carb based meal regiment.

I am amazed by the way the focus on diet has increased performance above anything I have done in the past at the gym. I guess I was a dummy for a good chunk of my formative years in the way I was thinking. 

Not to be pretentious or anything, just my two pennies. 

On normal days breakfast is usually a milk, peanut butter, oat, banana, vanilla whey protein smoothie; eggs and oatmeal if I have time. Lunch is meat, a carb(pasta, rice, quinoa, potatoes) and some kind of veggie or salad. A little caffeine and BCAA before the gym with whey protein post-workout. Dinner is the same as lunch and then cottage cheese with blueberries/pineapple before bed(ice cream if I'm feeling frisky).

On game days it's basically the same but I have a fruit smoothie(only fruit & water) before I head to the rink and a mild pre-workout(caffeine & BCAA) before going on the ice. I'll have a second, smaller dinner when I get home. If it's a late game then I'll have a granola bar or something between first dinner and game time.