Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dizzyg12

CCM resistance + bauer concept 3

Short story before my trick/tip.

So, I wanted to try the concept 3 and I didn't like how it fit on my ims 7.0 so I went on a helmet search.  I tried the reakt 100 & 75.  The 100 sat too high and the 75 had too much gap on the sides even closed tightly to the point my forehead hurt.  

I found the resistance and the resistance 300 to be a better fit.  Deeper and closer fit without being too tight.  The problem was the concept 3.  The clips as we all know don't work since the holes are wider. At first  I was able to angle the screws and get the shield on but it warped the front of the helmet causing it to flatten out and then Be too tight on my forehead. 

Sooooo, we mod!  That's what we do!

took a razor knife to the clips and shaped them to be an "L" which allows them to spread wider and over the edge of the bar at the top of the helmet.  See pics.  10 minute fix.  

Its technically the "wrong" way to mount it but I like it better this way as the "seam" of the cage/shield is lower and less obstructive.  I play tonight so we'll see how it goes.4OeWAh.jpg

mqHuxl.jpg

i0LOje.jpg

1 minute ago, Cavs019 said:

I was able to fit a concept 3 on a resistance by just turning the clips upside down...

I tried that.  Didn't work.  When I,angled,them and forced it on it worked but flexed the helmet and changed the way it fit.  Glad you got it on too, but this simple mod worked better for me.  

How do you like the concept 3?

46 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Maybe it depends on the size of the helmet. I like it, much improved from the concept 2 in terms of fog management 

Good point.  Mine is a medium.

I used to wear visors until I had to get some dental work done.  I always used rain ex to help prevent fog and sweat/water drops.  That worked well.  I've got some a/r "spit" so I'm gonna try that tonight.  

That is the fix that we do in my store with all of the non-Bauer helmets.  We shave the clips down on the cross grinder.  

Sneaky move by Bauer to make it difficult - I get the concept (no pun intended) behind the reworking of the mount.

any suggestions on how to mount a concept 3 on a ccm 710 helmet?  the front screw holes are too far apart.  I tried cutting to the clips but the remaining plastic loop holding the facemask is very thin and I don't think it would last long.  Are there different front clips available that would make it work?

15 hours ago, SILVER82 said:

Any follow up on how you shaved the clips? 

Shaved_Clip.jpg

Here's an image of the clip I trimmed. I used a dremmel to do it, but it sounds like lots of other tools will get the job done.

I didn't trim the back of the clip and it works just fine. The yellow lines are the sideways cuts I made, and the blue on is down the curve of the clip.

There's a seam-like line on the clip you can follow which makes the process pretty fool-proof. Just follow that line and you'll be fine. 

Edited by NiCnoK
Added image

14 hours ago, SILVER82 said:

Thank you for the details and pic.  Do you feel that there is still enough strength in the plastic.  Has anyone broken there clips after doing this?

You're really not taking much material off the clip, so I wouldn't think it's in any danger of breaking. The clips feel strong enough to me, but I've never tried them without the trim. So I guess maybe I don't realize how much stronger it should feel. Doubt it tho.

Wanted to jump in here because I just got a brand new Fitlite and Bauer Hybrid shield. The clips on the hybrid are exactly the same as what's shown in this thread. The holes on the front of the Fitlite are JUST barely too far apart to fit the stock clips so they do indeed need to be adjusted just as OP did. I have only shaved down one of the clips as it stands right now and that was good enough to create enough space for both to fit. However, I'm not sure that I am 100% confident with this staying in place. It seems to me that a 3/8 screw is just not quite long enough for these clips. I put the helmet on my head and just mimicked some movements for a few minutes. When I took it off it seemed like the screws holding in the clips loosened up just a bit. I am guessing that means I would have to constantly retighten the screws after each game or two. I have thought of a couple of fixes. Because I feel like a 3/8 screw is just a tad too small, I'm considering trying a 1/2 screw. I also found some 3rd party clips on icewarehouse which I will link and that might be a good solution for everyone. They come in 2 different sizes and I assume the 5/16 would work best but that's just my guess right now. I will update and include some pics at a later time because this thread did help me so maybe I can help someone else down the line. 

https://www.icewarehouse.com/Hockey_Helmet_Cage_Top_Hinge_Clips/descpage-HHC.html

https://www.icewarehouse.com/Long_Top_Helmet_Shield_Screw/descpage-LGSHSCREW.html

On 2/6/2018 at 7:38 PM, SILVER82 said:

Thank you for the details and pic.  Do you feel that there is still enough strength in the plastic.  Has anyone broken there clips after doing this?

As seen in my reply above, I shaved down one of the two clips with a razor knife, same exact method as the OP. I do not think the integrity of the clip gets compromised to the point that the clip would break because you're never going to have a significant amount of weight hanging from the clips. Whatever the shield weighs is all the weight that will ever be on it and these clips are pretty sturdy as far as plastic pieces go. My issue is that I cannot get the clips to tighten to a point I'm comfortable with as a long term fix but I addressed this in my above post. 

On 9/24/2016 at 3:49 PM, Dizzyg12 said:

Its technically the "wrong" way to mount it but I like it better this way as the "seam" of the cage/shield is lower and less obstructive.  I play tonight so we'll see how it goes.

mqHuxl.jpg

I initially installed the clips the same way as in your photo and then read the instructions and re-installed them as per the instructions. I found the chin cushion fits me better when installed the "wrong way".

Since this is close to a 4 year post, how has the visor held with clips installed the "wrong way" ?

54 minutes ago, hockeyshield said:

I initially installed the clips the same way as in your photo and then read the instructions and re-installed them as per the instructions. I found the chin cushion fits me better when installed the "wrong way".

Since this is close to a 4 year post, how has the visor held with clips installed the "wrong way" ?

Playing 3-4 times a week for the last 4 years and not a single issue.  Still have the original clips on.