Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

Johnny Gaudreau's 55 flex stick..

Blows my mind. I don't have a ton of upper body strength and I know he's a smaller guy, but I think I'd snap the thing right in half. Haha. Doesn't Kessel use a super low flex too? I think he uses a 75, but for an NHL player his size that's fucking crazy.

Don't you think warrior Is just blowing this out of proportion for marketing reasons ? Wasn't he always a Bauer guy ? Never seen him using warrior. Goalies from the SPHL and ECHL would make a mockery of anyone shooting with a 55 flex, I've witnessed this first hand, but NHL goalies ? 

54 minutes ago, kmfdm86 said:

Blows my mind. I don't have a ton of upper body strength and I know he's a smaller guy, but I think I'd snap the thing right in half. Haha. Doesn't Kessel use a super low flex too? I think he uses a 75, but for an NHL player his size that's fucking crazy.

Are you 5'8 or 5'9ish? What's ur flex and hand ?

46 minutes ago, masterpeice_patrice said:

Don't you think warrior Is just blowing this out of proportion for marketing reasons ? Wasn't he always a Bauer guy ? Never seen him using warrior. Goalies from the SPHL and ECHL would make a mockery of anyone shooting with a 55 flex, I've witnessed this first hand, but NHL goalies ? 

Warrior announced he was with them on Sept 21st on Twitter.

14 minutes ago, masterpeice_patrice said:

Are you 5'8 or 5'9ish? What's ur flex and hand ?

6'2", 180 lbs, 75 flex, right handed shot.

I'm also not a great skater so there's a chance I would go to load the stick and fall over it, bending it in half. :p

7 minutes ago, masterpeice_patrice said:

You can't just shoot it because you think you are not a good skater, you are playing with 4 other guys wearing the same jersey, why not pass it? Why break your stick ? You must be rich lol

Because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Sometimes you have to.

And no, not rich. I just buy sticks that aren't Jr flexes. Haha.

3 hours ago, masterpeice_patrice said:

Hahaha funny guy, really ? For a guy who's 6'2 shooting at 75 you should take up stand up comedy because I'm 5'9 shooting on a 102.  

Anybody can quote Gretzky.

I'm sure you are a better shooter than Kessel and Briere who both use very low flex sticks as well. It clearly has nothing to do with personal preference or how you play.

I'm also sure the goalies in those leagues can say whatever he wants while he laughs to the bank after lighting them up.

42 minutes ago, Hills said:

I'm sure you are a better shooter than Kessel and Briere who both use very low flex sticks as well. It clearly has nothing to do with personal preference or how you play.

I'm also sure the goalies in those leagues can say whatever he wants while he laughs to the bank after lighting them up.

Come on, he obviously knows better than the guy making millions in the NHL.

For a guy his size and weight, 55 does not seem like a huge stretch at all.  Someone like Brett Hull who had at least 50 listed lb more than Gaudreau (if not more, in his later years) using a stick 7 flex higher is a bigger story.

Shooting-wise it makes sense.  However, receiving NHL-caliber passes with that low flex would mean that he has some really soft hands.  

But I think it is because he's a NHLer, the shock value is there because you associate a stick like that with a 13 year old kid.

21 minutes ago, Machinehead2k5 said:

My top end flex is around 65 but lower end is 52 or so. I've never snapped a shaft in half.

Yeah. It was a bad half joke. Haha. I'm kinda wondering what it's like now. 

The best part of this entire thread is the OP posting an article to make a point, then completely ignoring, while simlutaneously proving, this segment:

Most NHLers have their gear figured out, but it's very common for more recreational players to use sticks far too stiff for them. Most people go to the shelf, grab the standard 95-102 flex sticks and go on their way. 

A lower flex stick can improve the release and velocity of your shot, which can make a pretty big difference. If you've never tried one before, trying a 75-85 flex stick could seriously improve your game.

At 5'7", 145 lbs. I just picked up some whip flex (65) Graf senior sticks on clearance.  I think I have to adjust to the flex profile, but it's made the release on wrist and snap shots effortless.  I feel like I've lost a bit of zip on slapshots, though.  It's just nice to have a stick, that after I cut it down (somewhere in the 75-80 flex range), I can actually load without leaning what little weight I have into it.

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

For a guy his size and weight, 55 does not seem like a huge stretch at all.  Someone like Brett Hull who had at least 50 listed lb (if not more, in his later years) using a stick 7 flex higher is a bigger story.

Shooting-wise it makes sense.  However, receiving NHL-caliber passes with that low flex would mean that he has some really soft hands.  

But I think it is because he's a NHLer, the shock value is there because you associate a stick like that with a 13 year old kid.

THANK YOU JR.  

Some of you guys that were around 10 years ago may remember the thread where softer flexes got blown out of control.  I had several well known posters here PM me and tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and then block me.  It was pretty funny. 

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

For a guy his size and weight, 55 does not seem like a huge stretch at all.  Someone like Brett Hull who had at least 50 listed lb (if not more, in his later years) using a stick 7 flex higher is a bigger story.

I agree with you on the passes. It is very hard to catch hard passes with an Int. stick that is 65 flex in a beer league. Not sure how it can be done at NHL level with a 55...skill I guess. 

And making fun of someone flex vs body size is just dumb. Everyone has preferences. Ovie used to use 75 flex @ 245lbs

I currently weigh 140lbs at just shy of 5'7" and I use a Base 55 flex inter that has 5.5" cut off. It is harder to receive passes but with a bit of practice you get used to it. I've even thought about getting their 45 flex inter considering how much stiffer it gets due to the amount that I cut off. I have noticed that if you have your lower hand at around halfway down the shaft when receiving a pass, the puck just slingshots back out if you're not careful, but if your hands are both near the top of the stick, it's easier to absorb the passes. Since my stick is short (collarbone height) my hands spend most of the time near the top for carrying the puck, anyway. I don't know how I'd fair receiving NHL strength passes, though. :unsure:

If bending loads the stick and allows for harder shots, I've come to the realization I am using too stiff a stick, and I'm starting to wonder whether many others do as well. I'm 5' 7" and weigh close to 220 with decent strength, but after cutting my 100-flex sticks, I have zero bend. Even if I try to put all my weight on top of the stick, I can bend it maybe one inch.

I know cutting the sticks isn't helping my cause, but since I'll always have to shorten them, I intend to drop to intermediate the next time I buy one.

I wish more companies made a senior 65 flex option. That's the biggest reason I love my True sticks - their intermediate 65's seem to be senior dimensions.

I love the whip of a 65, but with my other intermediate sticks, the shaft just feels too thin in my hands. 5'6, 185 pounds.

And speaking of Johnny, he's actually gone down in flex too. He was using 67's on his APX2/1X from Bauer.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/johnny-gaudreau-of-the-calgary-flames-and-team-toews-poses-for-a-to-picture-id462168040