Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarfreek92

Lateral movements

Good morning

i have recently started my way into the world between the pipes and I'm having a some issues with some thing I believe are essential. With moving side to side in the crease when in down as well as my pads. It coming completely together when going into my butter fly. Looking for some advise or video instruction Any help would be appreciated! Thanks 

Without seeing at least a picture, or better video, of you playing, there's absolutely no way to offer advice on your individual technique.

I can give generic advice that may, or may not, apply to you.  When moving on the ice, you have to load your push leg.  That means you have to get your weight onto that leg and off the leg on the ice.  If you don't get some of the weight off the lead leg, you will limit how far you slide, stick in place, rotate around your leg, or a combination of all of that.  To move, you should be following the correct procedure of: turn your head to locate the target -> turn your shoulders and torso to be in line with your head -> turn your hips to the angle of your head and body while lifting and loading your push leg -> push with your leg while keeping your weight as far over that leg as possible -> bring your push leg back to the lead leg and center your weight.  So remember, head -> hands -> feet -> push -> return.  Anyone I've ver seen that has problems sliding isn't following this technique, and usually has too much weight on their lead leg.

As far as pads not coming together, there are many, many reasons that is happening - poor hip flexibility, improper pad strapping and tightening, interference with pants or knee guards, bad technique (usually pulling the feet behind you instead of out), and the least likely, pads that are too short.  Again, I'd have to see your technique and strapping to make an accurate assessment.

Go on youtube and look for the videos from Wogtech Goaltending.  Corey's videos are pretty informational and basic.

On 10/3/2016 at 0:39 PM, psulion22 said:

Without seeing at least a picture, or better video, of you playing, there's absolutely no way to offer advice on your individual technique.

I can give generic advice that may, or may not, apply to you.  When moving on the ice, you have to load your push leg.  That means you have to get your weight onto that leg and off the leg on the ice.  If you don't get some of the weight off the lead leg, you will limit how far you slide, stick in place, rotate around your leg, or a combination of all of that.  To move, you should be following the correct procedure of: turn your head to locate the target -> turn your shoulders and torso to be in line with your head -> turn your hips to the angle of your head and body while lifting and loading your push leg -> push with your leg while keeping your weight as far over that leg as possible -> bring your push leg back to the lead leg and center your weight.  So remember, head -> hands -> feet -> push -> return.  Anyone I've ver seen that has problems sliding isn't following this technique, and usually has too much weight on their lead leg.

As far as pads not coming together, there are many, many reasons that is happening - poor hip flexibility, improper pad strapping and tightening, interference with pants or knee guards, bad technique (usually pulling the feet behind you instead of out), and the least likely, pads that are too short.  Again, I'd have to see your technique and strapping to make an accurate assessment.

Go on youtube and look for the videos from Wogtech Goaltending.  Corey's videos are pretty informational and basic.

I appreciate the response I have noticed that my hip flexibility is mostly the problem with the gap. I have been stretching out to help improve that problem. I have noticed that when trying to push off I'm not fully loading my weight properly. I can feel my self push and I'll move and inch or so but nothing more then that. I have tried the strapping on my pads at several different set ups  not sure which I like yet. I will post a video this week of me when I'm down a don trying to move around. I've been trying to use these tips as much as I can remember them.

2 hours ago, guitarfreek92 said:

I appreciate the response I have noticed that my hip flexibility is mostly the problem with the gap. I have been stretching out to help improve that problem. I have noticed that when trying to push off I'm not fully loading my weight properly. I can feel my self push and I'll move and inch or so but nothing more then that. I have tried the strapping on my pads at several different set ups  not sure which I like yet. I will post a video this week of me when I'm down a don trying to move around. I've been trying to use these tips as much as I can remember them.

Here's everything you need on one page: http://hockeygoalietraining.com/wordpress/butterflyTHNX/

Both the butterfly challenge, and also Maria's mailing list. You will never ever ever find a better resource for goalie athletic training.

Also, I have a copy of the W Goaltending DVD set that @psulion22mentioned that I'm happy to put up in the Sale thread of the Gear Exchange (have to follow correct procedure for buying/selling on here!). If you're interested.

Practically thinking I'll never have the actual ice time for practice but I've been focusing more and more during warm ups on the push. Im having trouble moving on the push and I think it's because I'm having trouble feeling my edge and it slides on the push and way to correct this or just keep working till I get it to work. 

On 12/6/2016 at 10:03 PM, guitarfreek92 said:

Practically thinking I'll never have the actual ice time for practice but I've been focusing more and more during warm ups on the push. Im having trouble moving on the push and I think it's because I'm having trouble feeling my edge and it slides on the push and way to correct this or just keep working till I get it to work. 

Again, without seeing you actually play there could be 2 things at play (with possibly both affecting you):

1. Get your skates sharpened with a deeper hollow. I find that I need my goalie skates sharper than my player skates simply because 90% of what we do as a goalie is pushing off our legs. Try a 1/2" hollow (that should be plenty of bite to start out with) and adjust accordingly.

2. Really concentrate on loading up that leg you're using to push off of. It sounds like you might be half-loading it with some weight left on the leg you're using to slide. In warm up along the boards, really work on putting 90% of your weight on your pushing leg, then try and push laterally. If you're not getting enough bite still, see 1. Otherwise, really make a conscious effort to load up that leg before pushing.

Without video, there's no way to tell you what is going on.  We've mentioned that a few times already.

But, I would not be pushing for distance during warm ups.  I'd be working on weight control, like M3thods said.  A way of working on that is to "crawl" on the ice.  Lift your push leg, engage the blade, focus your weight over the push leg, push, and hold the weight there.  Rinse, repeat to the same side 3 or 5 times is a row.   You're only pushing enough to move maybe a foot or two.  That will help keep you focused on keeping your weight over the push leg since you are continually using the same leg and don't have to return to center.  It's a good way of getting the feeling and core strength to get your weight off the lead leg.