Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Maple Leafs 2016-17

...I don't think it's a coincidence that him and Brian Elliot look significantly worse this year, having gone from playing behind the stacked D cores of the Ducks and Blues to Toronto and Calgary respectively.

Both of them have looked like Bryzgalov when he moved from an airtight defensive system in Phoenix/Arizona to Philly. The reality is they both simply aren't talented goalies and I'd hate to see Toronto not be able to lock up one of their more talented future core guys because of his contract 

Looks to me more like rust and confidence. And it's not like the young leafs are hanging him out to dry. The experience isn't there but the structure is.

Yes, he's going to look worse on this team; anyone would. But i also don't think he's playing up to his potential. He can be better. Missing camp hurt him quite a bit.

3 hours ago, Hills said:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/10/24/13369482/toronto-maple-leafs-frederik-andersen-goals-against-auston-matthews

This is an awful article I wanted to share because it makes it clear the writer doesn't have a clue what is going wrong with Anderson.

Being too aggressive isn't his problem, when you keep getting sniped over your shoulders you have to be more aggressive to stop that... but evidently he should be deeper in his net for what exactly?

I like the breakdowns and agree with many of them. The conclusions on some of them are crazy though. 

7 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

...I don't think it's a coincidence that him and Brian Elliot look significantly worse this year, having gone from playing behind the stacked D cores of the Ducks and Blues to Toronto and Calgary respectively.

Both of them have looked like Bryzgalov when he moved from an airtight defensive system in Phoenix/Arizona to Philly. The reality is they both simply aren't talented goalies and I'd hate to see Toronto not be able to lock up one of their more talented future core guys because of his contract 

Hard to say that any NHL caliber goalie isn't talented. Some guys thrive on seeing a ton of shots, others are better at seeing a handful of real chances and making the critical stops in a tight game. You have to have the right guy behind the right D.

I should have said "relatively talented".

Agree with all of your points though. Some guys seem to elevate in those 40+ save games, then hit the snooze button when they face under 20. 

Holy crap that game was exciting to watch. No real momentum, just a ton of back and forth with chance after chance. Marner was absolutely flying once again. 

Not sure that's the way Babcock wants them playing but man was it ever fun. 

That game could have easily gone either way, and Price and Andersen were both stellar!

Would have obviously preferred two points but with this group at this stage and still learning I'll take a solid road game. 

Leafs did exceptionally dreadful tonight against LA Kings. Kings took them apart like a bunch of kids. Leafs got 19 shots on goal in the entire game most of which took a while to determine if they should be counted.

Yup just like the announcers said early on, they just didn't have it. Absolutely no legs. The 3rd goal was a back breaker and completely deflated what little jump they had. Downhill from there. 

Oh well, we all knew this was bound to happen against the top tier teams. Doesn't change anything. 

Good first start by Bibeau. No complaints at all. Varlamov absolutely stole that one. The game wasn't even close as far as possession, shots, and chances.

Bibeau's mask is amazing. 

vT5QqVq.jpg

cRGia2m.jpg

Dl4wowO.jpg

I have enjoyed the game against Penguins from a couple of days ago. This was  basically the first Maple Leafs game this season that I did not have to fast-forward during. Andersen was awesome, defense great, and it looked like they had fun. Congrats to Zaitsev on getting his first NHL goal in. If I did not know the stats and previous performance, I would have thought this is one of the top teams in the NHL today. I hope they play like this from now on.   

2 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

I have enjoyed the game against Penguins from a couple of days ago. This was  basically the first Maple Leafs game this season that I did not have to fast-forward during. Andersen was awesome, defense great, and it looked like they had fun. Congrats to Zaitsev on getting his first NHL goal in. If I did not know the stats and previous performance, I would have thought this is one of the top teams in the NHL today. I hope they play like this from now on.   

This is actually how they've played for most of the season, minus the defensive lapses. It's always an exciting game; there have been few that they weren't in for pretty much the entire game. I can't imagine fast-forwarding through such exciting games.

Watched Leafs vs Senators. I guess it was first start for McElhinney for Leafs. I thought he did very well in his first win as Maple Leaf. Who knows, maybe they'll let him play against Blue Jackets on Feb 15 :).

11 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Watched Leafs vs Senators. I guess it was first start for McElhinney for Leafs. I thought he did very well in his first win as Maple Leaf. Who knows, maybe they'll let him play against Blue Jackets on Feb 15 :).

I love that you jumped into the Leafs thread so you could talk about your own team. 

Anybody here think, Matthews/Marner will turn out to be a Toews/Kane to their respected teams. It's great to see these rookies performing at the level they are this early.

What a terrible stretch. Two blow-out losses followed by two games against teams they need to beat where they end up blowing it. 3 of 4 points sounds good until you see the way they got them... yikes. 

Seems both of these games all the other team was doing was throwing the puck on net over and over looking for the lucky bounce... and it kept working! Very frustrating. 

I get that Babcock keeps putting inexperienced players on the ice late for learning and experience but man, at some point you just need to shut the game down. They're all possession until they get a lead, and then the forechecking goes bye-bye. 

Still exciting to watch, just horribly frustrating as well. 

Didn't get to see Leafs / Islanders last night, but saw highlights. Greiss has been bad since the contract extension, but six goals against is awful for Freddy. They'll get it together, it is mostly young players after all.

I love everything about that jersey minus the fact I don't own one.

Odd thing is that the front picture shows an authentic jersey with it's shield logo and the inner tags, but the back view doesn't shot a fight strap and shows replica on the arm sleeves.

Those St. Pats jerseys look great! It will feel weird cheering for the green team in March! 

On another note, time for some upgrades on defence.  Other than the overtime goal last night, he looked like he was out for another Sunday skate. 

11 minutes ago, YukonLiving said:

Those St. Pats jerseys look great! It will feel weird cheering for the green team in March! 

On another note, time for some upgrades on defence.  Other than the overtime goal last night, he looked like he was out for another Sunday skate. 

The thing that's killing me about Gardiner is the number of times I see him get the puck at the point, and just stand there half wound up for a shot... long enough for the shooting lane to close up... and then still takes the shot anyway. 

It works out for him occasionally but more often then not it's an easy block. 

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

The thing that's killing me about Gardiner is the number of times I see him get the puck at the point, and just stand there half wound up for a shot... long enough for the shooting lane to close up... and then still takes the shot anyway. 

It works out for him occasionally but more often then not it's an easy block. 

YES!! I have been looking for a stat that compares shots he's had blocked with someone like Burns. When you look at the goals Burns scores from the point, most times the puck is barely on his stick before he's whipping it on net. 

Thw other thing that's been getting to me is how he seems to kill all momentum on the power play while he takes forever to skate up the ice with the puck. 

Good god that was embarrassing. Gardiner nearly won it for the Rangers what, 4 times in OT alone? 

Andersen is the only reason that game was close. 

We need Marner back, and soon.