Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flip12

How is this a second assist? Oilers vs. Stars 11/11/16

Whomever of team mates last touched the pack in continuity before the goal ,is credited with the assist. Goals scored from turned over puck, or from face off (I think) counted as unassisted. it might appear soft, but McDavid in this case, caused the puck to get closer to the net, took a fair deal of attention from two deffencemen and technically created the opportunity for Maroon even if he did not intended that.

But the Stars defenseman whiffs on the puck. That's a Stars' touch in my mind.

Edit: whiffs, but at least redirects it.

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

But the Stars defenseman whiffs on the puck. That's a Stars' touch in my mind.

Edit: whiffs, but at least redirects it.

Stars player can not be credited with assist into his own net. Theory in this case is that McDavid created all the commotion in front of the net and since he was the last Oiler (emphasis on Oiler) to touch the puck before it was slung into the net, he is credited with the assist. If the Star player would have put the puck in his own net, then McDavid would have been credited with the Goal. For the same reason, pretty much all the goalies that hold a record of scoring a goal into opposing net, have just touched the puck, before the opposing player put it into his own net.

15 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Stars player can not be credited with assist into his own net. Theory in this case is that McDavid created all the commotion in front of the net and since he was the last Oiler (emphasis on Oiler) to touch the puck before it was slung into the net, he is credited with the assist. If the Star player would have put the puck in his own net, then McDavid would have been credited with the Goal. For the same reason, pretty much all the goalies that hold a record of scoring a goal into opposing net, have just touched the puck, before the opposing player put it into his own net.

Obviously, someone doesn't get credit for own goals or own assists. It's just that the touch by the Stars' defensman should nullify McDavid's touch, removing it from the scoring sequence. I'm all for second assists, but they should at least make sense. I've noticed the NHL being extremely generous with assists, which makes sense if you're trying to overcome a "dead-puck" era--just pad the stats and suddenly everyone has more points, even if the number of goals doesn't increase, it gives the appearance of the game being higher scoring.

Gotta nit-pick here because I like credit going where credit is due: half of the goalies that have scored have done it on their own shot, according to this. That's far from "pretty much all."

You are right in that that often times, the assists are distributed rather generously. However, in this example, I see that McDavid has deserved the credit within the rules of the scoring. Besides, he has created the havoc and that caused the Star defenceman to "pass" the puck to Maroon. That was good work.

On 11/13/2016 at 5:56 PM, BenderHockey said:

An opposing player has to have possession and/or control of, not just touch the puck in order to reset any potential assists and the like. 

That's exactly why the assist was granted. No different than a pass that is deflected or tipped on the way to the guy that scores. 

This isn't really all that weak, I was in the old Civic Arena in Pittsburgh when Mario got as assist from the locker room.