Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Aww. Who would really want to sharpen skates and end up having them look like that? I mean small mistake might be understandable for somebody new or something, but how do you completely remove the ends of the blade?

Aww. Who would really want to sharpen skates and end up having them look like that? I mean small mistake might be understandable for somebody new or something, but how do you completely remove the ends of the blade?

Because that's the way they always do it (happens way too often). Some of the old time "experts" will do it without even asking you and think they're doing you a favor.

Because that's the way they always do it (happens way too often). Some of the old time "experts" will do it without even asking you and think they're doing you a favor.

Unfortunately Chadd is exactly right. So glad I can finally sharpen my own skates again...

1.jpg

Edited by NorrisContender

Sharpening your own skates at home...that's not "Show It Off" that's 'Showing Off'...*L*

:lol:

I learned at a LHS in MI when I was in HS. A few months back I remembered that Gramps (whose been gone for a few years now) had an old rig he built in his garage. Sure enough it was still there so I hauled the critical parts back to Cincy. I built a new table and bought a Wissota holder and I'm in heaven. Gramps built a solid rig but as of now I'm limited to 5/8" - 1" ROH.

Two guys on my team now do their own skates and I do the rest....provided they aren't on 1/2" ROH. Oh and I will never charge $$$, I'm just going to get out of the beer rotation. ;)

Sharpening your own skates at home...that's not "Show It Off" that's 'Showing Off'...*L*

:lol:

I learned at a LHS in MI when I was in HS. A few months back I remembered that Gramps (whose been gone for a few years now) had an old rig he built in his garage. Sure enough it was still there so I hauled the critical parts back to Cincy. I built a new table and bought a Wissota holder and I'm in heaven. Gramps built a solid rig but as of now I'm limited to 5/8" - 1" ROH.

Two guys on my team now do their own skates and I do the rest....provided they aren't on 1/2" ROH. Oh and I will never charge $$$, I'm just going to get out of the beer rotation. ;)

Not having to get your skates sharpened at Sports Plus=PRICELESS

How do ya dress the wheel on that beast?

Gramps made a arm with slots milled into it that slide in and out. It accepts a standard size industrial diamond. In order to change the ROH you have to loosen a set screw and slide the diamond in or out. There's an allen wrench on the right side of the wheel that you can use to bring the whole arm in as the wheel gets smaller.

7.jpg

I marked the diamond in 1/8 increments so you can now adjust ROH with out removing the whole arm.

8.jpg

Man you got that straight. I can hook you up...unless you're on the yellow team in Div 3 in which case you'll have to wait until our playoff series is over. :lol:

AH, didn't catch that in the first picture. Sharpening your own skates is priceless. I'm still in college but I worry sometimes if a future job will take me too far away from the store I work at. I can't imagine how much of a pain I would be to the LHS. :)

My dad bought a Wissota skate sharpening machine during my final season of juniors so now we just keep that and i let him do my skates.. I don't trust any other people to sharpen my skates anymore. When I lived in utah for college hockey I bought 2 pairs of steel and he sharpened them and sent to me and when i was done with 2 steel I would send them back after he sharpened them again. Now since I just play adult league all I need to do is tell him they need sharpened, its awesome. On the topic of how you get your skates sharpened at...I'm 9/16" or 5/8ths depending on the ice surface.

Man you got that straight. I can hook you up...unless you're on the yellow team in Div 3 in which case you'll have to wait until our playoff series is over. :lol:

Haha. I'm actually not playing this session (no $$$ til I find a job). Unfortunately I'm usually a 1/2" or 9/16". I may have to switch to 5/8" if it ensures a quality sharpen ;)

photo168pr8.th.jpg

Nbh 0ne90 glove

Eagle X70

Mia Custom Mb40

Sticks

photo163kq9.th.jpg

Se

Xn10 -Vapor XXX custom U of Maine paint

Vapor XXXLite Vapor XXXX

SL -7k Sickkick

VaporXXXlite ottawa 67 paint

2 montreal nitro- Stealth- St

Skates

photo167ys1.th.jpg

Vapor XXXX

Vapor XXX

One95

One 90

Edited by turc91

AAA hockey player

14 years old 6 foot 187lbs

skates lose stiffness often,the one 90's n XXX are older brothers old ones,but to keep My newer skates in good shape i use the one90 n xxx for pick up and shiiny

Edited by turc91