Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cavs019

Boston MA Shops

Looking for recommendations as I'm new to the area- I brought my skates to pure hockey in a pinch and the kid absolutely butchered my edges. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Worst case I'll just pick up a few sets of LS2 edge and mail them to No Icing . 

Also looking for a shop experienced with custom Bauer fitting in the area- may splurge via the year end bonus on some new Nexus V Cuts. Thanks guys. 

Sports Etc in Arlington is pretty good if you're an ROH guy, if you like FBV, I've been going to Tricon sports in Lexington since my regular guy retired and have been happy with them so far.

Seconding Sports Etc.  As an added bonus, there is a tasty Italian deli on the same block.

Usually I get my skates sharpened at the pro shop at the Fessenden School in Newton (proximity), and I feel like they've done a good job on both my player skates and goalie skates.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:42 PM, Cavs019 said:

Looking for recommendations as I'm new to the area- I brought my skates to pure hockey in a pinch and the kid absolutely butchered my edges. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Worst case I'll just pick up a few sets of LS2 edge and mail them to No Icing . 

Also looking for a shop experienced with custom Bauer fitting in the area- may splurge via the year end bonus on some new Nexus V Cuts. Thanks guys. 

Head to the Bauer store in Burlington and take care of both.

11 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Seconding Sports Etc.  As an added bonus, there is a tasty Italian deli on the same block.

Usually I get my skates sharpened at the pro shop at the Fessenden School in Newton (proximity), and I feel like they've done a good job on both my player skates and goalie skates.

I skated pretty regularly a few years back at the Fessenden school and the guy sharpening was good.

D'Agostino's is a required stop after Sports Etc. Best deli around!

14 hours ago, the_game said:

I skated pretty regularly a few years back at the Fessenden school and the guy sharpening was good.

D'Agostino's is a required stop after Sports Etc. Best deli around!

Fessenden has 3 guys that sharpen regularly, and I've been using them for ... most of the time I've been playing.  When I had player skates they tended to do them what I felt was a bit sharp, but I also rarely got my skates sharpened.  The taller, older guy (Dennis?) working at the rink is good people, and discounts me at stick practice for helping out with nets and occasional child-wrangling.  So I have a soft spot for them.  :)

On top of everything, Sports Etc. is also remarkably T-accessible for those living in the city or the Cambridge/Somerville area - it's basically a 20-minute ride on the 77 out of Harvard Station.  (what's not to like, really?)

Not tongues, but Zwickers did my tendon guard when it was 2/3 ripped off, and did a great job. You can't see the repair unless you're looking for it. I've seen pics on here of real hack jobs. 

I'd reccomemd them based on that, and their litany of good reviews if you search on here. 

i think a tendon guard is a tougher repair than a tongue replacement so I'll make a trip out to them. Always a fan of checking out the local shops as well and getting to know the guys running the show. 

Sports etc. has been great for my sharpenings et al. , thanks for the recs guys!

For hardcore repairs/modifications I swear by TSR. Brendan and his staff are very good. They've done some pretty extreme custom work to my skates.

I leave sharpenings and pretty much everything else in the capable hands of Mike at Own The Moment in Burlington, MA. 

Not a knock on those other places, just pointing out the places I've had positive experiences with. You can hit me up via PM if you want more detailed info.

I agree with Mike.  TSR is great for repairs and mods.  Had them do a mod for me on my current skates.  Just a great bunch of guys.

If you want to stay in Mass, Zwicker's in Bedford does a good job with repairs also.

Z45