Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dlwst44

Jofa 282 vs Jofa 390

Hello All, I picked up 2 vintage Jofa helmets off of Ebay to make a combo out of. I got a Jofa 390 and 282, and I'm going to be attaching a Cooper GL100 cage with throat wire dangler. Does anybody have experience with the 282 helmet in goal? It looks like it has a lot less padding inside than the 390, is it sufficient to take a hard shot off the head safely? I used the 390 to play out with, and it's a very WARM helmet, you sweat a lot in that thing unless you're playing outside in the cold. Being directly in the line of fire though, I'm more concerned with protection in goal. The blue helmet is the 282, and the black is the 390. Is the Cooper GL100 cage any good? Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

large.jofa390.jpglarge.jofa282.jpg

I normally am not a fan of old lids, but Jofa had something special with their earlier helmet liners. I am not such a fan of the Great Gazoo model with the EPS foam (bicycle helmet foam), ESPECIALLY for goalies. 

Is it a brand new NOS GL100 cage? If not, look elsewhere. That being said, I took a wrister from the hash marks last week and it bent my OTNY cheater to the point of being unusable. I would be EXTRA careful. Also- Jofa helmets like their own style of cages best when it comes to mounting them. Olympia Composites makes a bespoke Jofa cage. It is expensive and takes time to be produced. 

19 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I normally am not a fan of old lids, but Jofa had something special with their earlier helmet liners. I am not such a fan of the Great Gazoo model with the EPS foam (bicycle helmet foam), ESPECIALLY for goalies. 

Is it a brand new NOS GL100 cage? If not, look elsewhere. That being said, I took a wrister from the hash marks last week and it bent my OTNY cheater to the point of being unusable. I would be EXTRA careful. Also- Jofa helmets like their own style of cages best when it comes to mounting them. Olympia Composites makes a bespoke Jofa cage. It is expensive and takes time to be produced. 

Why does it matter if it's a brand new GL100 cage or not? What's a OTNY cheater? I thought the whole premise of the 390 helmet for goal was it deflects the puck well. Thanks.

20 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I took a wrister from the hash marks last week and it bent my OTNY cheater to the point of being unusable. 

Goalie cages are meant to bend. Replace it and move on. 

A player helmet isn't going to deflect pucks as well as a goalie helmet, end of story.  Maybe back when Irbe was playing it might have been as good as some of the goalie masks available, but most likely it was just preference for what he had worn his whole life.  Even Hasek knew wearing a player was stupid, but he couldn't bring himself to switch to a goalie mask, so he had custom fiberglass/kevlar composite helmets made like the Cooper he was used to.  Player helmets are not safe to play goal in, especially those that haven't been made in 10 years.  Period.  If you want a combo, get a Mage or KC.

3 hours ago, dlwst44 said:

Why does it matter if it's a brand new GL100 cage or not? What's a OTNY cheater? I thought the whole premise of the 390 helmet for goal was it deflects the puck well. Thanks.

I only say brand new, NOS because it has not been exposed to hits, dents, saltly sweat, slobber, and water for 20 years or more.

I used the example of the OTNY cheater because it has MUCH thicker wire than the old GL100. Yes, @IPv6Freely, I was not complaining at all; in fact I was only using that as an example of what a shot to the cage can do to a newer cage, let alone a 20-30 year old cage that is USED. The OTNY cheater prevented me from having a black eye OR WORSE, so IT DID IT'S JOB, PERIOD.  

If you are thinking of a helmet instead of a masque, do what I did and get a SK2000-type composite helmet from Kustom Composites. It has a lot fewer flat spots than many player helmets by design, as sharp edges and composite DO NOT MIX. Since I play aggressively, I NEED the better protection for the BACK of my head. For supplemental jaw line protection, Shawn also makes a repro of an iTech cage addition. I spec'd mine with more chin drop. I have lost some of the open air feel and a touch of vision, but feel more confident with my choice. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I only say brand new, NOS because it has not been exposed to hits, dents, saltly sweat, slobber, and water for 20 years or more.

NOS plastic is still plastic that has been sitting there for years, becoming brittle simply from its age. I wouldn't touch that either. 

18 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

NOS plastic is still plastic that has been sitting there for years, becoming brittle simply from its age. I wouldn't touch that either. 

Me, neither; but a new CAGE should be fine, no?

Traditional plastics are hardly stable, as they "gas off" their entire life times. Yes, modern plastics are pretty stable, but there is no way on G'd's green Earth I would trust my well-being to a twenty plus year old plastic lid, no matter the condition. A metal cage that is unused and that age? Yes. But NOT used.