Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greyskull

ShinGuard Replacement For Reebok 20k

My Reliable as all hell, Tank-like Reebok 20K shin-guards are annoyingly beginning to show signs of fairly serious deterioration, namely a big ol' crack in the knee cap coming from where the stitches are. That'll teach me for falling over and getting tripped too much.

Anyhow, I'm interested to see what recommendations you guys have for shin-guards. I'm a power forward/D so end up with a lot of pucks hitting my legs one way or another, so something super protective is preferable. Are the new CCM Ultra-Tacks, which look to be the spiritual successors to the 20 k's as good, or shall I look else where, and If so what's your recommendation? Cheers guys.

I think the Ultra-Tacks were a down grade in the knee area. The knee-donut for the liner is not thick enough and hard shots are not pleasant at all to the knee. I added padding to the inside of the liner and it helped immensely. I still love the shin guards, but a thicker knee part and they would be perfect.

For more details, I did a review on them here:

I agree with Hills, the Ultra-Tacks are great pads, but the knee isn't quite protective enough.  I know they were trying to show off the 3DO padding, but I think they should have covered it with more padding to fill in the space in the donut. The shin protection all the way around is top notch though.  

I had the Nexus 1000 shins and they felt very Jofa-like to me.  The knee cap was very solid.  But the protection in the lower shin/ankle area, especially on the inner side was terrible.  Maybe the 1Ns are better.  I like my Ultra-Tacks better than the N1000's.  I might just bulk up the knee like Hills has done.

If you really liked your 20K's, HM still has the 18K's on clearance in 15" and larger.  They may be a good option as well.

If you wanna go new, then I think the Easton Synergy GX looks pretty tank-like, and lighter than the 20Ks.

EDIT : 21 Dec 2016: So I saw the Synergy GX shins in the store today. These will definitely NOT be replacing my 20K shins, and they are not lighter, as the 16 inch shins seem 2 inches too short for me (I wear 17s in 20K, 16s in Bauer Supreme/ Nexus).