Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarfreek92

Knee guards??

I'm looking to get some insight on the knee protection on the market. Currently wearing some reebok thigh boards and I'm starting to feel it's not help and the foam gets real soft if I play more then once a week.should I look at upgrading my knee cradle? Or just replace the knee guards by them selves

I think Passau's are really good and worth it. I have issues with them with back to back games with the foams getting compressed but the next day they are fine. You can get a more expensive Maltese knee landing option to make them more comfortable as well.

Knee guards are the only way to fly- PAW, Passau, and Factory Mad, in no particular order, make GREAT knee guards. Koho Swiss knee guards are a bit over priced compared to any of the options I have named. I wear the Factory Mad knee guards, myself. 

I agree, I wouldn't bother with the koho ones, let alone the pro version.

i got to check out some PAW knee pads at winterfest. The look crazy comfortable and well padded (far more than I expected) but I'm not sold on their protection. 

I have never been able to wear knee pads, they just weren't comfortable.  I tried them all - Vaughn 8800, Bauer, Brian's Pro, Maltese KTP, RBK Premier, Koho full cup, and others - nothing worked.  That is, until recently.  I got my hands on a set of Passau G2's.  They are awesome.  Despite their overall size, they don't feel bulky at all.  And they stay in place for the most part, without tape or a garter.  I agree with Hills, yet again, the foams can get compressed by the end of a game and stop cushioning as well.  The Maltese inserts would make them more comfortable.  But I also just got a set of Warrior G3 pads, and their new version knee pad is really, really good too.  It's light, but protective.  It fits well, stays in place, and also moves without any restriction.  It has a much smaller profile than the passau.  Like the Passau, it could use a little more resilient padding in the landing area.  (I have the Sr. version, but the pro version is the same in that area I think)  It's honestly a tough call between the two, but I'm leaning towards the Warrior.  If I could find a way to improve the knee padding, it would be Warrior all the way.

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I agree, I wouldn't bother with the koho ones, let alone the pro version.

i got to check out some PAW knee pads at winterfest. The look crazy comfortable and well padded (far more than I expected) but I'm not sold on their protection. 

I think that Sara uses an earlier generation of a gel-like foam in her knee guards. I like harder protection, myself, ESPECIALLY at the thigh/knee cap junction when down in the butterfly.

42 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I think that Sara uses an earlier generation of a gel-like foam in her knee guards. I like harder protection, myself, ESPECIALLY at the thigh/knee cap junction when down in the butterfly.

Yeah, if she were to use some plastics in the areas that don't actually need to flex (above the knee and onto the thigh) I think they'd be much better. But they definitely looked comfortable. 

48 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

4 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yeah, if she were to use some plastics in the areas that don't actually need to flex (above the knee and onto the thigh) I think they'd be much better. But they definitely looked comfortable. 

Knowing Sara, and having ordered custom products from her in the past, I'm sure she can do anything you wanted.

40 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Knowing Sara, and having ordered custom products from her in the past, I'm sure she can do anything you wanted.

Yup, totally agree. Just no real need since I have Passau.

Hmm I've done some reading but of course that's all it was I wish It was possible to see some up close and personal without taking the plunge. I've never worked with these companies first hand but I'm hopeing to be soon. Beside these any good options in he retail market that are easily accessible? 

7 hours ago, guitarfreek92 said:

Hmm I've done some reading but of course that's all it was I wish It was possible to see some up close and personal without taking the plunge. I've never worked with these companies first hand but I'm hopeing to be soon. Beside these any good options in he retail market that are easily accessible? 

Nope. Nothing I've ever tried on has been comfortable or protective enough. 

8 hours ago, guitarfreek92 said:

I've heard good things about the Warrior Ritual X-Pro, CCM Pro, and Brians' Pro. The X-Pro are beefed in the areas I had issues with on the standard Ritual X.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

I've heard good things about the Warrior Ritual X-Pro, CCM Pro, and Brians' Pro. The X-Pro are beefed in the areas I had issues with on the standard Ritual X.

I had the Brian's SR which are the same, just less beefed up. They were okay but not as comfortable as I'd like. 

I just don't see a reason to go retail when so many better options are out there. 

Though I guess many people say the same about masks.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I had the Brian's SR which are the same, just less beefed up. They were okay but not as comfortable as I'd like. 

I just don't see a reason to go retail when so many better options are out there. 

Though I guess many people say the same about masks.

Many things are better and sometimes cheaper going custom. Knowing what is in some retail masques, I will NEVER go retail for a masque. Knee guards are something I feel the same about.

11 hours ago, guitarfreek92 said:

Knee guards seem to be an after-thought for many of the retail mfrs. I don't know why, as it is such a vulnerable area. Warriors look pretty good, but just not good enough for me. I had howitzers blown at my knees and only felt ONE hard shot. That shot would have obliterated my knee with most of the retail knee guards out there. This guy also made me feel a shot through my blocker, my catch glove, and the arms of my Warrior Ritual CA!!!

I wear the CCM Pro's and love them. They stay up on their own without tape and they aren't super bulky. I'm sure having  the option for maltese would be 100x more comfortable but from what I've tried the CCM's are one of the best options available retail. 

23 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

@tedpenguins With a seam ripper and carefully sourced supplies, you can install air gel of your own in those knee guards.

That's not a bad idea. I might just have to give that one a shot.

8 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

That's not a bad idea. I might just have to give that one a shot.

If I can figure out who sold "air gel" foam, i will share :)

15 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

For the size you'll need, you could just buy a Maltese chin sling and cut it

That wouldn't be a terrible option, but the company who used to supply a certain masque padder, et. al., sells direct, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying something already made and chopping it. I will still say Phil's current product is better, but this is close to what he uses. I just can't remember for the life of me who sells that particular foam... and I need more for my insoles (as I use it on them)!

The other alternative is to buy some from Sara at PAW. It would be a bit more expensive, but again- you just buy what you need that way and not chop up something already made.

I have both the Passau and Warrior Ritual X, and switch back and forth between them.  They both have their pros and cons.  A Ritual X-Pro would be a very good option at retail.  It's comfortable, light, streamlined, and protective.

And it's HD Airgel.  Do a google search for that and I'm sure something will show up.

5 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

And it's HD Airgel.  Do a google search for that and I'm sure something will show up.

Yeah, PAW has 1/4" and 1/8" for sale (Maltese chin slings are 1/4"). It's actually way cheaper than I expected. $8-12/sq ft. 

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yeah, PAW has 1/4" and 1/8" for sale (Maltese chin slings are 1/4"). It's actually way cheaper than I expected. $8-12/sq ft. 

Sara's isn't exactly the same.  It doesn't have the same density or resiliency.  But it is a good product, still works well, and is much cheaper than buying a pre-cut piece from maltese to repurpose.