Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarfreek92

Knee guards??

1 minute ago, psulion22 said:

Sara's isn't exactly the same.  It doesn't have the same density or resiliency.  But it is a good product, still works well, and is much cheaper than buying a pre-cut piece from maltese to repurpose.

Agreed. And it really depends on purpose, too. In a mask, maybe not. But as supplemental padding elsewhere, absolutely. I plan to pull out the inner thigh padding on my pants and replace it with some airgel. May not be as protective but I just don't like how thick that foam is. A sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

11 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Agreed. And it really depends on purpose, too. In a mask, maybe not. But as supplemental padding elsewhere, absolutely. I plan to pull out the inner thigh padding on my pants and replace it with some airgel. May not be as protective but I just don't like how thick that foam is. A sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

Just double up on the thickness vs the Maltese and you'll be golden.  I have knee stacks she made me with HDA and they are thicker, but also pretty comfy.

12 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Just double up on the thickness vs the Maltese and you'll be golden.  I have knee stacks she made me with HDA and they are thicker, but also pretty comfy.

Absolutely. My knee stacks have Maltese in them and they are fantastic. Not pillows like my old brians which I found really annoying because they'd just compress, but they're very squishy. 

3 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Absolutely. My knee stacks have Maltese in them and they are fantastic. Not pillows like my old brians which I found really annoying because they'd just compress, but they're very squishy. 

Yep, I had her make me them because of the soft pillow in my Brian's knee.  I needed it to be firmed up, so she made me a stack with a thick UHD plastic layer for stiffness, and I think 1/2" of HDA for comfort.  It was great.  The knee on the Subzero and earlier was great.  Stiff, but also had a layer of HDA and a very Maltese feel.  I don't know why Brian's switched to the pillow style on all their pads.  It sucks.

2 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Yep, I had her make me them because of the soft pillow in my Brian's knee.  I needed it to be firmed up, so she made me a stack with a thick UHD plastic layer for stiffness, and I think 1/2" of HDA for comfort.  It was great.  The knee on the Subzero and earlier was great.  Stiff, but also had a layer of HDA and a very Maltese feel.  I don't know why Brian's switched to the pillow style on all their pads.  It sucks.

They don't seem to be like that anymore. Anything in the last two years or so is a solid knee stack. This is what they have now (Subzero Pro 3):

brianssz3legpadsdetail3.jpg

This is the garbage that was in my S-Series:

7sgb7LN.jpg

That pillow was terrible. I found myself slipping off the knee stack all the damn time. 

It's the same idea as yours.  The main block is thicker and firmer, and the inner is thinner.  But it's still a soft landing pillow like yours was.  I had V-series pads which had the same knee as you.  It was awful.  The new Brian's design isn't much better.  This was what was on my Subzero 1s, and it was sooo much better.  The inner stack is a firm but cushioned foam similar to Maltese or HDA.

E5AC33D8-BA44-487E-89B0-483E1DA5B59A.jpg

8 minutes ago, guitarfreek92 said:

What is that top leather strap for?

Hanging them on my GRIT bag. It gets removed before I put them on.

2 hours ago, guitarfreek92 said:

Best methods of keeping knee guards up?

Wearing socks over them may help. Absolute best way is a garter (they make them specifically for goalie knee pads) assuming your knee pads have the loops for them. Most do.

That said, some people struggle with this no matter what they do. I wear Passau so it's not an issue. I wore garters with them for the first year or so because I used to with my old knee pads and figured I might as well stick to what I'm used to. I took the garters off a few months ago and have had no issues. 

I use a player sock held up but a garter belt over top of my knee guards, then I tape the thighs of my knee guards. This video I think does a good explanation of why.

20 minutes ago, Hills said:

I use a player sock held up but a garter belt over top of my knee guards, then I tape the thighs of my knee guards. This video I think does a good explanation of why.

Are you still doing that even with the Passau? 

9 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Are you still doing that even with the Passau? 

Yes, I have had my Passau's move a bit during play even with my setup.

I bought the warrior x sr they don't have the garter loops but the tie ins for the pants i hope you know what I'm taking about I wore player socks over them last night and they slide down are a couple mins of play 

11 minutes ago, guitarfreek92 said:

I bought the warrior x sr they don't have the garter loops but the tie ins for the pants i hope you know what I'm taking about I wore player socks over them last night and they slide down are a couple mins of play 

Did you watch the video? I found socks don't do anything unless they are being held up by a garter and then tape is put on the thigh.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

Yes, I have had my Passau's move a bit during play even with my setup.

Mine move slightly but definitely don't fall down. As soon as I go into the butterfly they're basically pushed back up into place. I don't even think about them at all. I wouldn't be at all bothered though if I had to go back to the garters. They weren't intrusive or anything. I also considered having my pants modified so they attach but I think I prefer the idea of my pants "floating". I even started wearing them looser and letting the suspenders do all the work. It felt at first like my pants are falling down the whole game but I'm getting used to it now. I definitely feel like I'm more mobile though. 

Mine don't move noticeably at all, which is funny, because any other thing (like, say, a brace) on my knee slips like a wet kleenex.  I have bauer knee guards and the thigh bit is fairly rigid and cups nicely around my thigh.  The velcro strap does have grippy bits on it but I'm not sure those do much, or if it's just snug enough to stay by itself.  One of the other goalies wears Browns and tapes them up top.  The third guy doesn't wear any at all.  Small sample size.

I suppose someone could market a sleeve to go over the knee pads, a la ones for shinguards.

1 hour ago, badger_14 said:

Mine don't move noticeably at all, which is funny, because any other thing (like, say, a brace) on my knee slips like a wet kleenex.  I have bauer knee guards and the thigh bit is fairly rigid and cups nicely around my thigh.  The velcro strap does have grippy bits on it but I'm not sure those do much, or if it's just snug enough to stay by itself.  One of the other goalies wears Browns and tapes them up top.  The third guy doesn't wear any at all.  Small sample size.

I suppose someone could market a sleeve to go over the knee pads, a la ones for shinguards.

That's what socks are for :P

Jeff Glass mod: Two pieces of Jenpro with holes in it, sew this below your braces button, then use laces and hold up your knee guards with that. 

39 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Jeff Glass mod: Two pieces of Jenpro with holes in it, sew this below your braces button, then use laces and hold up your knee guards with that. 

That sounds like too much work. I'd just use a garter at that point. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That's what socks are for :P

For clarification: for those who are not fans of socks, because goalies are a strange and finicky species.  

On 12/19/2016 at 4:19 PM, IPv6Freely said:

That sounds like too much work. I'd just use a garter at that point. 

Actually, a cobbler or a gear repair person could knock this out in minutes. 

Stays up a HELL of a lot better than a suspender.

On 12/19/2016 at 4:40 PM, bunnyman666 said:

What do you mean by your braces button?