Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

How to carry spare steel?

Howdy,

Once again, I suck I searching...

I've got a spare set of steel and I'm looking to see what a good way to carry it in my bag is, to protect against bending it accidentally throwing the bag around.

I see this:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-accessories-lightspeed-edge-travel-kit.html

Are there any others?

I'm considering just slitting a 2x4 part way through with a table saw, wide enough for the runners to slot into.  Then I wondered if that might be asking for rust issues.

How are you folks doing it?

Mark

Roll blades in a Tyvek envelope and put that inside an old skate guard. The blue bauer travel cases are OK, but they can crack when bag is dropped.  The soft nylon ones are very good.

I put the 2 holders flat up against each other, and tape/wrap them tightly together using blue painters tape (so they arent rubbing against each other).  Then wrap the steel inside a hand towel, and tape around the hand towel tightly. Put entire thing inside a ziplock freezer bag.  Works fine, takes a few minutes to undo but its basically free and protects them just fine. You can do the same process without them taped together (2 separate towels or freezer bags) if you have polished steel, blackedge, etc.  Sounds more complicated than it is, but basically they're in a towel which is inside a ziplock.

I made my own with some old jeans and 2" PCV pipe.

Sewed a double pocketed pouch like the Nash pictured above and some cord to tie it closed. Tossed a nubby screw driver and a few Helmet parts in the PVC with that and now I have a repair kit I keep in my bag.

Folks don't worry about their steel getting bent in those soft bags or skate guards?

The Bauer case is rigid to avoid bending your steel. If it's banging around in your bag and you tend to stuff your bag with gear, or travel on buses/planes to tournaments I'd look for something rigid to protect the steel. The bauer travel case is good in that regard.

colins

18 minutes ago, colins said:

Folks don't worry about their steel getting bent in those soft bags or skate guards?

The Bauer case is rigid to avoid bending your steel. If it's banging around in your bag and you tend to stuff your bag with gear, or travel on buses/planes to tournaments I'd look for something rigid to protect the steel. The bauer travel case is good in that regard.

colins

Nope.

These blades are the toughest thing in your bag. If you think they going to be bent, what will let happen with the rest of the gear? These Nash pouches  are adequate. I do like the pvc "pipebomb" idea though.

I don't think I have anything else in the equipment bag that I'd be worried about bending, except the spare steel. Bent steel leads to bad edges, I had to replace a blade on my son's skate because it had a noticeable curve in it (wasn't from carrying it as a spare - must have been a puck or like that from the factory) that made it hard to get a good sharpening on.

I'm normally packing spare steel in my kids' bags when they're headed to tournaments - seeing 20 team hockey bags piled together on the bus or plane just makes me think I don't want a set of spare blades being bent under all that weight, so I opted for the Bauer travel holder (granted - I only bought it last week and haven't used it yet - I'll report back 2nd week of January after the next road trip).

colins

You don't need to worry about bent steel, there is nothing that can happen to it in your bag.  The steel is flexible and even if it were to bend, it pops right back to straight.  We've sent and received over 250,000 pieces of steel my mail protected only by a thin cardboard envelope and not one was bent.  Trust me, the post office is not gentile with these envelopes either, they are flung around on conveyor belts, manhandled by postal workers, shoved/stuffed into mailboxes, dropped and run over. All you need to do is make sure the edges are protected from trauma, and also from touching each other. There are many ways to do that.