Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swlabr11

True Gloves

Does anyone have experience with True gloves? I was able to try them on at Winterfest and the fit was great and they seemed really well  made. I'm really just curious how well they hold up and how protective they are. I broke my hand early this year so now I'm looking for super protective gloves. I guess I'm a little paranoid. 

Personally I'm not a fan of either line of their gloves. I like the idea of the zpalm, especially as away to customize different grips and keep the same gloves longer by just swapping palms, but their feel is just too sloppy to me, especially their thumbs. Maybe I'm just so used to gloves having greater thumb mobility but the trues feel awkward there. For me and for the price there's just better options out there, even though I like their twigs.

22 hours ago, Stewie said:

Personally I'm not a fan of either line of their gloves. I like the idea of the zpalm, especially as away to customize different grips and keep the same gloves longer by just swapping palms, but their feel is just too sloppy to me, especially their thumbs. Maybe I'm just so used to gloves having greater thumb mobility but the trues feel awkward there. For me and for the price there's just better options out there, even though I like their twigs.

I agree with this. I've got a pair of XC9's and they are ok but definitely not what I'd expect considering the price tag, if they were around the $130 mark I'd say they were a good deal. I think the A4.5 4 rolls look to be better value but even those are up against some tough competition in the price bracket; Bauer N9000, CCM 4-roll pro, Warrior AX2 and possible Sher-Wood BPM 120.

On 12/17/2016 at 9:12 PM, Stewie said:

By "sloppy" do you mean a loose fit or build quality?

13 minutes ago, Swlabr11 said:

By "sloppy" do you mean a loose fit or build quality?

didnt get the dexterity in the fingers, comparative to other recent glove lines ive tried, especially in the thumb. both lines do fit fairly loose in my opinion as well, which is to be expected of the 4 roll style glove. build quality in terms of materials and craftsmanship seem fine, but this is all judging based on the about 20 minutes total between a few events that ive had their gloves on my hands. For what its worth, im a "tapered" style glove kind of guy, currently using APX line gloves, but will be moving into QRL and QLT here shortly.

I won a pair of A6.0 SBP's from TRUE's Free gear friday.

So far I am loving them. Normally I wear a 15" glove, and their 14" which is supposedly equivalent to 15" fits a bit snug on me. Not enough to make me not wear them though.

I got a pair of the Z pro palms (all clarino or whatever liner, no extra protection patched in for maximum feel) and they feel quite amazing!

Protection is good, wrist movement is good in them as well.

I honestly have no complaints. Sometimes I feel the cold zipper touching my hand, but that's about it. You never notice the zipper section in the fingers or sides.

If they would come out with a 15" option, it would be even better for me.

1 hour ago, sparky1 said:

I won a pair of A6.0 SBP's from TRUE's Free gear friday.

So far I am loving them. Normally I wear a 15" glove, and their 14" which is supposedly equivalent to 15" fits a bit snug on me. Not enough to make me not wear them though.

I got a pair of the Z pro palms (all clarino or whatever liner, no extra protection patched in for maximum feel) and they feel quite amazing!

Protection is good, wrist movement is good in them as well.

I honestly have no complaints. Sometimes I feel the cold zipper touching my hand, but that's about it. You never notice the zipper section in the fingers or sides.

If they would come out with a 15" option, it would be even better for me.

Are they holding up well? For whatever reason I destroy gloves quickly. 

A Pure Hockey near me has dropped the price of their few remaining True 4 Rolls with the Z-Palm to 119.00.  As well as each replacement palm set to 19.00.

I almost jumped on a pair.  However, I concur that they did feel too "sloppy" and loose.  This is coming from someone who has worn Bauer 4 rolls (or Nexus) for a while now.   I just didn't like the fit at all.  I generally wear a 14" in Bauer Nexus, and 15" in "most" gloves with a more anatomical/contoured fit.  The Trues in 14" were just huge on me in the finger areas and thumb.  The 13" just didn't fit right for what i want in a 4 Roll.  Maybe I am just stuck in between with this particular brand.  Gloves looked good, quality and craftsmanship seemed like a steal for the price.  They just didn't fit me right though.

I tried the Trues on too yesterday at the store. I was surprised by the thumb- super flexible at the base but not the type of thumb that I like, with the segmented breaks like Vapor, Covert, etc. 

If you want something super protective, then you may wanna consider Custom Pro Repair. I sent a pair there when I was coming back from a break, and they got me some bulletproof gloves. You will pay, but I'd pay for confidence that my health will remain intact. I got max protect- thumb reinforcement, special thumb hooks, backhand and finger pads. One of the thumb hooks has since come unsewn, and will eventually come off, at which point I may be in the market for a more reasonable/ standard/ less pricey option.

I have the ZPalm 4-rolls and I absolutely love them. My last gloves were STX stallion 500s and I prefer the True gloves much more. It did take a few days to get used to the flexibility of the fingers and thumb but once that happened I don't see myself replacing them until they're no longer made. 

23 hours ago, Swlabr11 said:

Are they holding up well? For whatever reason I destroy gloves quickly. 

So far so good.

I did switch to a buttendz grip that seems to not be wearing them as quickly. The Z-pro palms are pretty thin. Nothing worn through, but it was showing the usual black marks from the tape and such on there.

Its interesting that people are sizing down the True gloves compared to what they wear..

Has anyone had any experience who is normally a 13", and had to drop to a 12" in True (ie a Jr size).

1 hour ago, sss1987 said:

Its interesting that people are sizing down the True gloves compared to what they wear..

Has anyone had any experience who is normally a 13", and had to drop to a 12" in True (ie a Jr size).

Yes. I typically wear a 13", but take a 12" True (in the 4.5, at least). This is a subjective assessment, clearly, but it felt a little small until it broke in to the preferred size.

4 hours ago, sss1987 said:

The gloves are sized up a bit and both styles are higher volume,  so if you are a player that is used to the Supreme Fit with their slim fit you will likely be surprised.

i just got my 6.0 14" in and they fit good. i've been wearing the Bauer 4-roll pro 14" for years.  They may be a little loose through the palm but i don't think i could go a size down as they would be too short. 

the traditionalist in me still isn't crazy about the zipper but i couldn't pass up on the sale or find any 4.5 

2 hours ago, ryanmonty said:

i just got my 6.0 14" in and they fit good. i've been wearing the Bauer 4-roll pro 14" for years.  They may be a little loose through the palm but i don't think i could go a size down as they would be too short. 

the traditionalist in me still isn't crazy about the zipper but i couldn't pass up on the sale or find any 4.5 

It's funny you say that... I was stuck on that too... Until I started playing with the palm options.  I have a Pro Palm on one hand and Fit Palm on the other.  NHL players have many options for palms,  but the guy that isn't a pro is saddled with the option the mfg decides on ( for the most part unless you are able to get a full custom 1 off glove ).  OK for the masses but perfect for no one individual.  This gives you the ability to fully customize your gloves,  replace as needed and dry them out faster. 

6 hours ago, ryanmonty said:

I thought the zipper would be way more noticeable but you can't even tell it's there. 

On 2016-12-29 at 6:02 PM, IW Team - Chase said:

+1 for a bottom hand Pro Palm but I keep the Standard Palm up top for durability. They felt broken in my first time out. 

Hilarious! I was thinking to myself , would that be a good idea or am I crazy? At least I'm not alone ! 

How hot are these gloves to play in?

i had Bauer 4 rolls and liked them. They came with some holes drilled through the foam for ventilation. Someone stole mine so I replaced with Bauer vapor x100 which felt great, palm is super durable, felt very broken in right away... BUT they are hot as an oven to play in. No ventilation. And now of course they have started to smell badly despite being diligent to lay them out to dry after each use. 

So the Trues seem pretty cool, especially knowing I could unzip the palm after each use to dry them out. 

But are they hot to play in? And do they have any antimicrobial materials?

thanks for the input!

On 7/14/2017 at 7:59 PM, wHATcOLOR said:

How hot are these gloves to play in?

i had Bauer 4 rolls and liked them. They came with some holes drilled through the foam for ventilation. Someone stole mine so I replaced with Bauer vapor x100 which felt great, palm is super durable, felt very broken in right away... BUT they are hot as an oven to play in. No ventilation. And now of course they have started to smell badly despite being diligent to lay them out to dry after each use. 

So the Trues seem pretty cool, especially knowing I could unzip the palm after each use to dry them out. 

But are they hot to play in? And do they have any antimicrobial materials?

thanks for the input!

Our gloves are no hotter than any others on the market, but we do not have die cut holes in the padding. It is easier to dry them because the palm can come off to dry and also spraying them you can get into the whole glove to deodorize and dry. Also, the gloves do come with Microban for the liner to assist with antibacterial aspects in the glove

51 minutes ago, jdksaves said:

It is easier to dry them because the palm can come off to dry and also spraying them you can get into the whole glove to deodorize and dry. 

Number one complaint from parents is that their son's/daughter's gloves stink.  Mine don't because I spray them after every use with a homemade mix of bargain brand Fabreeze and OdorBan from Home depot.  Another great investment that I made is a boot dryer that I can throw both my skates and gloves on to dry at the same time.

The removable/replaceable palm on the True gloves is a nice feature.