Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kmfdm86

Colorado Avalanche 2016-17

What a dumpster fire.

Started with the team playing well and Varly crapping the bed every other game. Now it just seems like no one cares except Duchene (who can't score at home), MacKinnon, and Pickard.

Their early saving grace was their power play. It was crisp and fast. But it's been anemic for way too long. Along with the rest of our offensive weapons.

So what's the answer? Blow up the core? Trade Landeskog for a decent defenseman? Put together a package for a superstar?

Ready? Go!

If it was that simple they would have already fixed it and be winning. 

It's probably a combo of the late coaching change, no upgrade to the horrible defense we've had for numerous seasons and pretty inconsistent goaltending. 

I'm most surprised that it seems Roy was the one that was right in the little preseason soap opera. I would have put money on him over reacting to the state of the team.

Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure how Roy fits in the whole picture. We were definitely sliding further down each season with him. I feel like we would more or less be in the same spot with him.

If he had the input on players he wanted and didn't want, who knows? Maybe it would be different.

I agree there's no simple solution, but someone has to do something. The games elicit zero emotion from me right now. I still love the team, and I'll still watch. But it's rough right now.

I think Roy saw what was going on internally and just wanted to distance himself from it all. I can't blame him for wanting out. The coach definitely shouldn't be the one making personnel decisions (he should be playing the hand he's dealt) but there comes a point where you get dealt a 7-2 off-suit enough times that you just say forget it, I'm out. 

I admit I don't watch many Avs games by any means, but I obviously saw the game where Varlamov stood on his head vs the Leafs and stole the game. Was that out of character for him? 

Like you guys said, it's a tough fix. They're not bad enough to clear house and tank, but not good enough to make the playoffs. Where you're not sure if they're going up or going down. Believe me, I know what it's like rooting for a team in that situation! ;)

Varlamov was straight up bad early in the season. He looked like he was going to be headed for one of his inevitable early season groin injuries. He has some good games under his belt now, but he's been super inconsistent. And has now been out for 3 games with one of the aforementioned groin injuries.

The rest of the team seems to have quit offensively. They cap out at about 2 goals per game. 

All things the same it seems like we have to give up one of our top forwards for a top 4 d-man to do anything this year, if any one would even deal. 

Most likely we are going to have to ride out another bad year for a lottery pick.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I think Roy saw what was going on internally and just wanted to distance himself from it all. I can't blame him for wanting out. The coach definitely shouldn't be the one making personnel decisions (he should be playing the hand he's dealt) but there comes a point where you get dealt a 7-2 off-suit enough times that you just say forget it, I'm out. 

I admit I don't watch many Avs games by any means, but I obviously saw the game where Varlamov stood on his head vs the Leafs and stole the game. Was that out of character for him? 

Like you guys said, it's a tough fix. They're not bad enough to clear house and tank, but not good enough to make the playoffs. Where you're not sure if they're going up or going down. Believe me, I know what it's like rooting for a team in that situation! ;)

I think you're giving Roy way too much credit. I believe it was more a case of management saying, "Say, Patrick, what do you say this year's team attempts to play some defense?" and like the petulant child that Roy is, he took his whistle and went home.

31 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I think you're giving Roy way too much credit. I believe it was more a case of management saying, "Say, Patrick, what do you say this year's team attempts to play some defense?" and like the petulant child that Roy is, he took his whistle and went home.

Yeah yeah we get it, you don't like Roy. 

5 hours ago, Skoda10 said:

Unfortunately for us Avs fans it hasn't gotten better under Bednar

I think it's too early to blame him. They spent three years playing with no structure. Old habits die hard. 

I know it's different due to the NHL coaching experience, but look at the blue jackets their first season under Torts vs where they are now.

Sorry I see how that could have been taken that way, I am not blaming him. I am firmly placing the blame on the players and scouts.

Because two different, or three even if you go back to Sacco, coaches and the same results, out shot every game, horrible fancy stats, and high draft picks at the end of almost every year

And yes, I know they are more skilled at hockey and talent evaluation respectively than I could ever imagine to be. 

Sometimes you just need a bit of time for team (including coaching staff) to click and develop a chemistry. I am not going to be surprised that we will see some better performance within next week or so (like Maple Leafs who plays very well now). 

This a beaut from yesterday....

It would have been pretty cute if it worked... I guess too fancy is what you try once everything else has failed.