Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarfreek92

Chest protector

I'd suggest Passau or Brown will be your best bets. Both are in Canada too so if you're from the US the exchange rate should make them at about your budget.

Id skip just about anything retail, especially when you have much better options for about the same price.

Second Passau or Brown.  I also have had excellent luck with Simmons, I've had three of their Pro C/As over the years, and never had an issue with protection or workmanship.  Stood in front of a lot of ex-pro, college, and Junior guys and the chesty always performed well.

FWIW- I bought a Warrior Ritual Pro (gen 1) last year and it has been SOLID. I would not pay retail for that unit (which I didn't)), but I have felt very few shots in this thing, especially in the arms. I regularly play against ex college and AHLers. If you have to buy custom, then the other options are very excellent, though the Brown is at the upper end of the budget.

I'd buy the Warrior Ritual before the Passau stock unit, hands down.  I've had them both on, and a teammate who played in both, and the Ritual was definitely a more solid, protective unit.  The upgraded pro pack Passau is a solid unit, but it's almost as much as the high end retail units like the Gnetik/Subzero, CCM Premier, Bauer 1s, or Ritual.  In that price range, the retail units are just fine.  But in the middle range, I'd go with a used high end one before any sub-$400 option.

@psulion22 For sure! If you can find a gently used pro unit, that would be a good find.

I found my Ritual around January-ish. You may luck out. Goalies Plus runs really good clearance sales, you just have to keep your eyes peeled.

I also beefed up a Vaughn LT80 to my decent satisfaction. The arms and belly are a bit thin, but many complain that the arms are thin on ALL Vaughn units. I would only recommend beefing up a brand new unit ONLY if you bought it for around half price. Factory Mad routinely performs this operation for a fair price. The concurrent unit (LT88) is probably on special somewhere.

I have actually found the CCM extreme flex pro for about 200 brand new. The unit actually has some good movement after one use. But the unit is much larger then my old one and now need a bigger Jersey. Anyone have recommendations? 

1 hour ago, guitarfreek92 said:

I have actually found the CCM extreme flex pro for about 200 brand new. The unit actually has some good movement after one use. But the unit is much larger then my old one and now need a bigger Jersey. Anyone have recommendations? 

Good deal. I hated the fit of the CCMs but everyone is different obviously :) Great price for what you got though!

Are you looking for practice jerseys? If so I'd suggest the CCM 10200 practice jerseys. They weigh pretty much nothing and are really stretchy. They're garbage for players but they're wonderful for goalies. Great arm length on the goal cut, too.

Other option is the newest model Bauer jerseys with 37.5. We had those at Winterfest and they were also very light, though not as stretchy as the CCM.

Love the Reebok goalie cut sweaters- generous sleeve width and sleeve length. If the CCM sweaters mentioned are cut like the Reebok sweaters, you'll LOVE them.

Honestly looking for something with arm length currently wearing a pear practice now( that's why the league provided) but arm length is an issue with new chestie where old one it wasn't something to complain about. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Love the Reebok goalie cut sweaters- generous sleeve width and sleeve length. If the CCM sweaters mentioned are cut like the Reebok sweaters, you'll LOVE them.

40 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Not really. But the CCM are really stretchy and light. Reebok are okay for game use but I prefer lighter for practice/pickup. 

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Good deal. I hated the fit of the CCMs but everyone is different obviously :) Great price for what you got though!

Are you looking for practice jerseys? If so I'd suggest the CCM 10200 practice jerseys. They weigh pretty much nothing and are really stretchy. They're garbage for players but they're wonderful for goalies. Great arm length on the goal cut, too.

Other option is the newest model Bauer jerseys with 37.5. We had those at Winterfest and they were also very light, though not as stretchy as the CCM.

if given a choice, I will pretty much only use RBK/CCM uncrested Edge jerseys in GC.  I find the sleeves on them are better than anything else I have ever worn.  Wide but not wings, and not 3/4 sleeves, but not too long.

Yes- those are my perrenial favourites, though Kobe's aren't bad, either. I have a few Kobe and a couple of Athletic Knit. Sleeves aren't terrible on either choice. 

18 minutes ago, PaulieWalnuts said:

Getting back into goal, CCM E-Flex or Warrior G2?  

Neither, though if it's between those two I guess the Warrior.

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Neither, though if it's between those two I guess the Warrior.

I don't have 6 weeks to wait for a Passau, so I have to find something local or through goaliemonkey  

4 minutes ago, PaulieWalnuts said:

I don't have 6 weeks to wait for a Passau, so I have to find something local or through goaliemonkey  

Bummer. 

Definitely Warrior G2 pro.  I find most chesties to lack protection in the arms, especially in the triceps area and at the elbow joint.  The Warrior is the only one I have found that doesn't have that issue.  Even the magical Passau has arm protection issues if you don't get the pro pack and upgrade the arms.  Yes, i've seen it, held it, played in it.  My friend who went from a Ritual Sr. to a Passau had major arm protection problems that weren't any better than what the crap Ritual was giving, despite the pro pack.  He had to send it back to have them upgrade the arms more.  The plastic arms of the Ritual are bulletproof.  They take some getting used to because it's a different mechanism.  But I'd never go away from them if I could help it.  The G2 is supposed to have a better arm design than the G1 too.  It's also incredibly adjustable, which is an improvement over most units, even high end ones.

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Definitely Warrior G2 pro.  I find most chesties to lack protection in the arms, especially in the triceps area and at the elbow joint.  The Warrior is the only one I have found that doesn't have that issue.  Even the magical Passau has arm protection issues if you don't get the pro pack and upgrade the arms.  Yes, i've seen it, held it, played in it.  My friend who went from a Ritual Sr. to a Passau had major arm protection problems that weren't any better than what the crap Ritual was giving, despite the pro pack.  He had to send it back to have them upgrade the arms more.  The plastic arms of the Ritual are bulletproof.  They take some getting used to because it's a different mechanism.  But I'd never go away from them if I could help it.  The G2 is supposed to have a better arm design than the G1 too.  It's also incredibly adjustable, which is an improvement over most units, even high end ones.

Thanks, going to try on the Warrior G2 Pro and Sr (all depends on what they have my size at Total Hockey).  I tried the new Bauer C/A and it felt a little light on the protection.  

Don't bother with the Sr.  It's a piece of junk.  You'd be better off wrapping pillows around your arms.  The plastic arms are what make the Ritual protective, and they only come in the Pro.  Even the "classic" Pro isn't worth buying, because it doesn't have the arms.

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

Don't bother with the Sr.  It's a piece of junk.  You'd be better off wrapping pillows around your arms.  The plastic arms are what make the Ritual protective, and they only come in the Pro.  Even the "classic" Pro isn't worth buying, because it doesn't have the arms.

Definitely think the Pro is probably the best retail and the mobility was unmatched.  The CCM E-flex was second but I'm a little concerned with the lower abdominal protection.  It's a squishy foam and not sure how protective that's going to be.  

3 hours ago, PaulieWalnuts said:

Definitely think the Pro is probably the best retail and the mobility was unmatched.  The CCM E-flex was second but I'm a little concerned with the lower abdominal protection.  It's a squishy foam and not sure how protective that's going to be.  

Having played with the ccm shield pro that soft pad sinks into your pants(I've played in Vaughn and the warrior ritual) so it's not really exposed to direct shots on a normal basis. But I did take one there on a weird movement where I jumped across the crease and I didn't feel it at all was honestly surprised 

1 hour ago, guitarfreek92 said:

Having played with the ccm shield pro that soft pad sinks into your pants(I've played in Vaughn and the warrior ritual) so it's not really exposed to direct shots on a normal basis. But I did take one there on a weird movement where I jumped across the crease and I didn't feel it at all was honestly surprised 

Good to know if I need to fall back on my 2nd choice.  

Had to have a Ritual G2 Pro transferred in from another Total Hockey in my size   Went there yesterday to try it on and noticed the price sticker on the shoulder wing read $299, needless to say that was a no brainer.