Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmflynn

Rockered vs straight wheel setup

Hey all, I got myself a pair of inlines, mostly to play around with my niece and nephew (got them inlines too), but I think the wheels that came on my skates (Tacks 5R52) are too soft since I'm mostly going to be skating on pavement and some outdoor rinks, so I'm going to be ordering some new wheels. My question is, since I'm used to ice, should I go with a 76-80-80-76 setup to get the rocketed effect of ice skates or just stick with all 80'? I was thinking of getting Marsblades, but don't really feel like dropping  another $200 just yet. Also, if anyone has any wheel recommendations for asphalt/smooth concrete, it would be appreciated

I'm a terrible ice skater so I can't tell you what the right wheel setup is to emulate the radius of steel. But Labeda Asphalt are some awesome outdoor wheels. 

Howdy,

I got a set of inlines a year ago, but only skated in them a few times.  I've got more experience on ice, but only a year or so.

I found the feel of the inlines to be crazy... Felt like my foot was locked in whatever direction it was facing.  Going to a fully rockered setup made them feel _much_ more like ice skates, and made me significantly more comfortable.

Again though... Novice at both.  

Mark

you can always switch and find out what you like.  I have an old pair of Roller Blade skates and since they do the whole rocker thing...I have just stuck with them...especially since I have learned that inline hockey skates do not.

But the bigger question is...do you want to improve your ice skating manueverability while on inlines?

For the 99% of people, developing bad habits from one or the other is just rubbish. Any skating is good skating, build a broader skill level base and muscle fitness. Some would say when you reach a world class level and are fine tuning for one specific sport you should not cross over but then there are many others who happily play both sports regardless of their level. Just get out there and skate, to make it easier on yourself try to spend equal amounts of time doing both and with similar drills eg one foot slaloms, figure 8's etc. Add a green biscuit and a shaft with an abs blade on it and you have the best off ice training tools you can use.