Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kgbeast

Islanders canned Halak

I have not watched many Islanders games, but always thought that Halak is an ok goalie. Either way Islanders had quite a ride this season... all the way to the top, then all the way to the bottom. Looks like more of a coaching problem than goalie. 

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

I have not watched many Islanders games, but always thought that Halak is an ok goalie. Either way Islanders had quite a ride this season... all the way to the top, then all the way to the bottom. Looks like more of a coaching problem than goalie. 

As somebody who does watch Islanders games, including last night's meltdown against the Wild, allow me to share my .02$. Halak was supposed to be the Islanders' goalie for the future when they signed him three years ago. He broke the Islander's single season wins record in his first year, but he's had injury problems and was horribly inconsistent. One thing I remember hearing about a while back was that his right knee always drops before the left. If it's a persistent injury or a coaching thing, I don't know. The larger problem is that Halak has another season on his contract, and Thomas Greiss, who is much better but doesn't have much starting experience, as well as J.F. Berube, who the Islanders love maybe a little too much but has played ten NHL games, are in the final years of their deals and the Islanders are tied for last in the conference after losing two of their best players over the offseason, and play in an arena not made for hockey. Send help.

I have watched WCOH and Halak was pretty outstanding. I am not sure what happened before that and after. As for meltdowns, it happens to the best of them (Price and Bobrovsky, both were chased out of the net within last few weeks).

8 hours ago, chippa13 said:

The Islanders have been on a goalie spiral since Milbury dealt away Luongo so he could pick DiPietro.

Poulin, Nilsson, Koskinen, Montoya, Sorokin, Gibson, Nabokov, Johnson, Neuvirth, and of course DiPietro, and that's just the last five years. 

6 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

I have watched WCOH and Halak was pretty outstanding. I am not sure what happened before that and after. As for meltdowns, it happens to the best of them (Price and Bobrovsky, both were chased out of the net within last few weeks).

While we can argue all day if Bob is 'one of the best of them', he and Price, arguably the best player in the world, have earned the right to have catastrophically bad games once a season. Halak can't stop a soft wrister from the blueline with one second left. (It's happened before.)

On 1/1/2017 at 4:26 PM, Hills said:

The 3 goalie rotation certainly didn't help him either. He still has talent as was evident in the WCH.

Yes, but nobody will get to use it because who wants that contract?

Halak is back... Islanders took Pens to shootout and put them down. Halak had a pretty good old days time in the net, turning away 30+ shots.