Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LapDawg

Skate Help Needed

Could really use some skate suggestions...  I have been in Easton S11's (size 8W) since they first came out, but sadly the skates are completely worn out.  Having a hell of a time finding anything that fits now...  Tried a Bauer S190 in a 7.5D and then in a EE, no luck. Now have some X900 Vapors in a 7.5EE and they feel too tight in the mid foot...  I have a narrow ankle with a wide midfoot, so I haven't tried the Nexus line figuring they  would be too wide in the heel...  Mako's are about impossible to find these days and if you manage to find your size, they are on clearance and therefore not returnable if they don't fit, so I have steered clear of them, same story for Grafs...  I have looked at the VH's, but they are spendy and I live in Montana with the nearest shop to get fit being 8-10 hours away...  Thoughts???

The 2016 Tacks line in EE as suggested above could be good options. I tried them on and they had great heel lock, however; they were still a bit narrow for my super wide forefeet near/in the toe box. This may not be an issue for you though as your width is in the mid foot.

Even though they're on clearance and you won't be able to return them I'd still consider the Makos in a EE. I'd stay away from the originals due to durability issues, but the Mako II, M8 and M7 are great options. The MII and M8 will be more responsive to heat and a bit lighter than the M7s (MII have a 100% carbon base, M8 uses 25% fibre glass and M7 uses 50% fiber glass) - the other differences are in the tongues and foot beds. I have the original Makos as well as Mako II's in use (I also have some M7s that I haven't baked or used) and they lock in the heels well, but are still very comfortable for my wide forefeet after baking. If they don't work for you then you can resell them and recoup most of your money, but if they do work for you they'll be a better bang for your buck than anything else available right now.

So I think your 3 best options are the 2016 Tacks line, VH skates if you're willing to spend that much or grabbing some Makos and then reselling them if they don't work. Finding some Tacks to try on should be the easiest of the three options - just make sure they're the new line and not the old one as they changed the fit/last with the new line. The old line was wider all over and didn't lock the heel in as well.

Howdy,

Where are you guys finding Makos in an EE width?  I've not seen those anywhere at this point.

Mark

Hockey Monkey has the M8 in limited sizes in EE (10 and 11), but not the size range the OP would likely need. Besides that, I know I've seen some Makos at some stores in Ontario, Canada - I know they're still on the shelves at Just Hockey in Toronto (listed for $599 for senior Mako II's - didn't ask about sizing as I already have a small stock pile I picked up for $399 or less), I saw a stack of M7's (including a 7.5EE) at the Hyde Park location in London, Ontario on Friday (marked at $219.99) and I'm sure some other stores still have stock floating around in both Canada in the US. eBay, Sidelineswap, craigslist and Kijiji can sometimes yield results as well.

So the EE sizes are definitely becoming scarce, especially in the more common sizes, but it's still possible to find them if you look hard enough. If all the online stores are out of stock and you know your size I'd just call or email the local stores in your area or anywhere you're travelling as well as look on eBay, SidelineSwap, craigslist and kijiji (as well as in the sell sections of sites like this of course).

18 hours ago, LapDawg said:

Tried a Bauer S190 in a 7.5D and then in a EE, no luck. Now have some X900 Vapors in a 7.5EE and they feel too tight in the mid foot..

How tight are the Vapors in the forefoot?  Have you tried having them stretched? Having spent good money on the Vapors I would try to make those work before trying anything else...

2 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

How tight are the Vapors in the forefoot?  Have you tried having them stretched? Having spent good money on the Vapors I would try to make those work before trying anything else...

That's an excellent point. I skimmed the post and thought he'd only tried on the Supremes and Vapors. Now that I realize he already owns the EE Vapors, I agree that trying to have them stretched in the area they're too tight by a good hockey store is the best option before moving on to other skates.

If the vapors aren't absolutely crushing your foot, it might be worth checking out some CCM Jetspeeds. They're a similar fit in the heel but they fit better around the rest of my foot than the vapors did.

My foot is similar to yours. I went with Jetspeeds. They are awesome skates, super light and very stiff. I wear a 7.5 EE. My right foot is slightly bigger; therefore, I had to have the right skate punched out a bit. I believe the Jetspeeds replaced CCM's RBZ line of skates at the beginning of 2016.